• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Weriik
    Weriik

Carpenter

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:52 AM

Yes I know we have a plank block, but this is something else entirely which would ease building at tall heights or other dangerous areas!

The plank would be made from plank blocks, like so.

[]  :Diamond:  []
[]  :gravel:  []
[]  :Coal:  []

This would create a thin plank you can walk on, it is half the size of a block in height, like stairs, it is also half the size of a block in length, when placed down on a block it would extend out to 4 blocks in front of the block you placed it on, making it 5 blocks long. It would be unable to be placed if there is a block in the way of the plank.

The purpose of this is to make constructing bridges easier, instead of going to the edge of a block at a tall height to make one block ahead numerous times, you would just place the plank down, look back and place your blocks, pick the plank up again and keep doing that for fast easy bridge construction.

The plank would break if there is to much weight on it, say 3 blocks or more or 3 players or enemies on the block would break the plank. The plank would be affected my gravity if it has nothing to be placed on (such as the block underneath it being destroyed)

Think of it in this situation

You see someone trying to take your treasure in your chest, but they must cross a rickity row of planks over a lava river to get to it, you hit some torches supporting sand in the cieling and bam! they come crashing down destroying the plank and sending the intruder into your river of lava.

Please post any thoughts or suggestions!

Register or log in to remove.

ZeekyNote

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

I had a similar idea once when I was building a city area that was highly elevated. I kept falling and dying. I think this is a great idea. Or another way to look at it entirely would be holding down a key while you place a block to make it perform the same action. For example, holding down Q while placing a block would place it in the front of the block you have under your crosshair. (Note: I don't recall if anything is already bound to Q this is just an example)

EDIT: I think I've misread some of your post.

KaitoCain
    KaitoCain

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

I love this suggestion, but I do believe that crouching will pretty much do the first part of this for you.
“Take the first step, and your mind will mobilize all its forces to your aid. But the first essential is that you begin. Once the battle is startled, all that is within and without you will come to your assistance.” ~ Robert Collier

Zeromaeus

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

This! This. I love this idea. We need wooden planks.

Catmando
    Catmando

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8173 posts
  • Minecraft: Catmando

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

I really like this idea, especially the possibility of traps because of the weakness of the plank. :D I can't believe it's not getting more support.

Posted Image
You heard that, green and red.

Paxjax123

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

Great idea! Notch should implement this.

Here, check out my comic.
Click here to see the list of awesome ideas I support!
Posted Image
Posted Image

sumguy720 said:

This is minecraft, a game put on the earth so we can make pickaxes and mine holes through logic itself.

Dreganius

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

ZeekyNote said:

(Note: I don't recall if anything is already bound to Q this is just an example)

I do believe Q is to toss an item.

I love this idea of a plank. It means that I can make people walk it on my Pirate ship! YARR!
Posted Image

Catmando
    Catmando

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8173 posts
  • Minecraft: Catmando

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Dreganius said:

ZeekyNote said:

(Note: I don't recall if anything is already bound to Q this is just an example)

I love this idea of a plank. It means that I can make people walk it on my Pirate ship! YARR!

Yeah, Q is tossing. E is free for most people (I use it for opening inventory).

Posted Image
You heard that, green and red.

Chilari
    Chilari

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

Dreganius said:

ZeekyNote said:

Yarr! indeed. Even if only for that, it should be implemented. Use to build bridges and traps is just a bonus. It's the pirate ship bit that matters. Yarr! Also parrots.

Maligree
  • Minecraft: Maligree

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

I'd love some 2x1x0.5 planks! My current stone block water-crossings are so... unrefined.

Posted Image
See also: Texture Pack Test Track Flatland!

Conflict
    Conflict

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

Simple idea, really, but I like it!

theicychameleon

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:55 PM

Sorry, -1. I like the way everythings a block right now.
Mise le meas,

Posted Image

My suggestions:
Sailing Peacocks Stellar Navigation

Volcanosf said:

Chemist98 said:

theicychameleon said:

This is a triumph!
I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Zemalius
    Zemalius

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

I really like this idea! Can be used for so many ways, and so simple.

DimJim
    DimJim

Carpenter

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

theicychameleon said:

Sorry, -1. I like the way everythings a block right now.
but it is a block isn't it
just rectangular

ICraftAndMine
  • Minecraft: defender0022

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

KaitoCain said:

I love this suggestion, but I do believe that crouching will pretty much do the first part of this for you.
yup, now that sneeking's come around theres no need, although it would be a nice aesthetic.

Wyatt
    Wyatt

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

I thought of this, was getting slightly annoyed at falling off my tower, then sneaking was added.  It would look good, though.

So rather than this, I'm thinking something like macros or brushes.  You click and it places a particular arrangement of blocks (if you have the supplies); SUPER useful for fast wall- and floor-building.

Kira
    Kira

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1820 posts
  • Minecraft: scruffypuppy

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

Blocks being broken by falling blocks? I like this idea. Perhaps it can be used with Pressure plates too.

Paulo_Gomes

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

i think planks would be more useful for barricades, like if you don't have steel door or you want to cover windows (for more fun) put some planks in the front of the door :P

Tizorna
    Tizorna

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Minecraft: 000

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

i like this Support.
*The Creator of the Rotator thread* (over 90% Support) Click the Rotator picture to Find out more info*Posted Image

Amazingwaffles3

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Just use wooden slabs its the same thing,but its as long as you want it to be! I do agree it would be cool but mabye its differently textured to be a solid line of dark wood and a quarter block thick so it stands out a bit