Latest News Article

Mob Spawning Conditions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

That Ninja Behind U
  • Minecraft: turdnugget

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

Hey every1!
I have been playing around in MC and I have found some interesting things about mobs and where they spawn

It seems that cows spawn neer water and :YFlower:
and  :Sheep:  spawn neer :Glass: and water

There are a couple others that also show signs but I haven't really tested them.  I was just wondering if this is true for any of you either so please tell me!

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Zemedelphos
  • Minecraft: Zemedelphos

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:10 AM

I noticed that cows spawn on  :grass:
Sheep spawn on  :grass:
Pigs spawn on  :grass:
and chickens spawn on  :grass:
But only when there's sufficient light.

I also noticed that  :SSSS:  :P  :)  :D spawn on opaque blocks (everything but leaves, signs, half blocks, glass, and stairs) but only when there's sufficient darkness.

Msj2705
    Msj2705

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:14 AM

Zemedelphos said:

I also noticed that  :SSSS:  :P  :D  :Zombie: spawn on opaque blocks (everything but leaves, signs, half blocks, glass, and stairs) but only when there's sufficient darkness.
this is what has been confirmed by notch.
Remember.

That Ninja Behind U

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:28 AM

yeah i kinda knew that animals spawned on  :D but look at whats near a big herd of them
Posted Image

stoneinfocus

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:44 AM

That Ninja Behind U said:

yeah i kinda knew that animals spawned on  :P but look at whats near a big herd of them
I have just a large grass plain with lava underneath glass blocks and I get a pretty large and even mix of all of the passive mobs.

nunka
    nunka

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:56 AM

If nobody gets around to this, I'll check it out sometime soon. Always happy to test wacky hypotheses in the name of SCIENCE! :Diamond:

That Ninja Behind U

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:52 AM

nunka said:

If nobody gets around to this, I'll check it out sometime soon. Always happy to test wacky hypotheses in the name of SCIENCE! :)
you my friend are an epic person :bookshelf:
Posted Image

Zemedelphos

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:08 AM

Msj2705 said:

Zemedelphos said:

I also noticed that  :SSSS:  :Notch:  :Spider:  :Zombie: spawn on opaque blocks (everything but leaves, signs, half blocks, glass, and stairs) but only when there's sufficient darkness.
this is what has been confirmed by notch.

Sorry you didn't seem to notice, but since this wasn't directed at you, I'll explain. It was sarcasm. We ALL know this is what happens. The point of the post was be making fun of the OP with a sarcastic post.

Nearby blocks don't affect what spawns there. I've removed all the flowers from within my wall, and there's no water nearby, yet things continue to spawn nearby.

Also, @OP: Just FYI, it's spelled near, not "neer". Neer is a village in the Netherlands.

nunka
    nunka

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:20 AM

Zemedelphos said:

Nearby blocks don't affect what spawns there. I've removed all the flowers from within my wall, and there's no water nearby, yet things continue to spawn nearby.
That's hardly a definitive result, and besides, he's talking about relative proportions of animal spawns, rather than animals spawning vs. not spawning.

I'll test this out sometime in the next few days, possibly tomorrow. It's on my list of things to do. :)

KidTheFat

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

Zemedelphos said:

I noticed that cows spawn on  :SSSS:
I also noticed that  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS: spawn on opaque blocks (everything but leaves, signs, half blocks, glass, and stairs) but only when there's sufficient darkness.

I've been seeing zombies and creepers hanging out in trees a lot lately. Dunno what's up with that.
Posted Image

victoras_h

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:39 AM

Also about animal spawning...

I build a large-ish room underground, put up torches all around, and made a tunnel to the surface to bring grass. Everything ok, filled the room with grass, closed up the tunnel to the surface and after some time, when I got back to the room, it was filled with all the types of passive animals. This was kind of expected so I was already happy about an underground butchery but after some time when I went to visit again, it was empty.

So, do animals spawn and then disappear?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Ferus Grim
  • Minecraft: ferusgrim

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:48 AM

/superfacepalm: When the /facepalm just isn't enough.

Posted Image

Spikeyroxas

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

Monstrrs keep spawning on my trees everywhere si that leaves one cant be true

So annoying as i have to put a torch at the top of them.

Zemedelphos

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

1) They hang around trees because it's usually darker there.

2) Yes, they spawn then disappear. If another chunk wants to load mobs, mobs on farther chunks will usually despawn to free up space.

3) If you're talking about spiders, they climb, if not, you're playing on fast graphics. Leaves are opaque in fast.

Goragle
    Goragle

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Location: The place with 7000 sheep all blocking my way forward.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

I think Creepers  :DBlock: spawn on high up places outside and normally in caves.
Imagination is for turbo-nerds who can't handle how kick-butt reality is.
Posted Image

KidTheFat

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

Zemedelphos said:

1) They hang around trees because it's usually darker there.
3) If you're talking about spiders, they climb, if not, you're playing on fast graphics. Leaves are opaque in fast.
I'm playing on Fancy, and they are seriously spawning up in trees. Creepers and Zombies.
Posted Image

That Ninja Behind U

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:40 AM

Zemedelphos said:

Sorry you didn't seem to notice, but since this wasn't directed at you, I'll explain. It was sarcasm. We ALL know this is what happens. The point of the post was be making fun of the OP with a sarcastic post.

Also, @OP: Just FYI, it's spelled near, not "neer". Neer is a village in the Netherlands.
first...I NO IT WAS SARCASM! LOL...I just wanted to take that opertunity to tell people what I was looking for.
second...Im sorry im not a perfect person i spell things wrong sometimes, i dont really care, if it gets the message across then it works for me.

But other than that
thanks a bunch for testing this out you guys! I hope that if mobs aren't spawn sensitive to anything and these are all just coincidences that Notch will make real in a future update.
Posted Image

nunka
    nunka

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

Alright, I did a small test (which, in retrospect, I really could have designed better---more about this in a bit).

Here is the spawning ground I built (elevation 116, suspended above ice):

Posted Image
(Taken from the walkway I used to move 24+ blocks away from the grounds to allow animals to spawn)

Posted Image
Rose area

Posted Image
Dandelion area

Posted Image
Water!

Now, you'll notice this is built with two equal sides, separated in the middle by a fence, with water and flowers distributed evenly. As far as I know, the only things this setup can reasonably determine are 1) which mob type, if any, prefers to spawn near dandelions and 2) which mob type, if any, prefers to spawn near roses. I could remove either the dandelions or the roses to determine whether flowers affect spawns at all, and I might end up doing that if I hit a spell of boredom. For now, though, I'll stick with this.

Anyway, on to the numbers:

Rose side:
29 cows vs. 26 sheep

Dandelion side:
28 cows vs. 26 sheep

With the obvious result that neither cows nor sheep prefer one flower over the other, and in all likelihood, a particular flower does not cause more cows than sheep to spawn, and vice versa.

"But nunka, that's such a small sample size! That's some really horrible statistical work!" I hear you cry. Normally, I'd agree. But I stopped at this point because I noticed a very interesting trend: spawns do not appear to be entirely random. What I mean is that I think the game attempts to spawn mobs in equal proportions. There is obviously an element of randomness involved, yes, but I think the game keeps track of the mobs it has spawned recently and adjusts new mob spawns in an effort to equally represent each mob type.

I kept track of the proportions throughout the testing process, and noticed that after seven waves, 9 cows and only 1 sheep had spawned. On the very next wave, 3 sheep spawned. The wave after that, 4. After that, the sheep spawns kept up with cows for the most part. I realize I'd need a much larger sample size (and I'd have to keep track of pigs and those goddamn annoying chickens) to prove anything, but it's an interesting thought, and one that someone might want to explore further.

victoras_h

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:55 AM

why only cows and sheep? what do pigs and chicken need to spawn besides space, grass, light?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Ferus Grim
  • Minecraft: ferusgrim

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

victoras_h said:

why only cows and sheep? what do pigs and chicken need to spawn besides space, grass, light?
Nothing.

Posted Image