Iron Prot 1 vs Diamondiron 1 prot vs diamond protection 1 iron= diamond diamond iron protection 1 protection 1 iron diamond armor iron armor iron armor protection 1 minecraft
Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:22 PM
7/1/13: Gold and Chain
7/4/13: Test in lava/mob damage
7/5/13: Comparision of all (Prot 1 Leather = Gold?,Chain> Gold?, Iron Prot 1 = Diamond, and more)
Don't Forget to rate comment and Subscribe. If you think its good then give it to your friends to watch. Follow me on twitter: http://bit.ly/1aMZevv
And without further a do here is the vid: http://bit.ly/13jrepb
Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:15 AM
Each armor point also adds 4% damage reduction.
Diamond helms, pants, and boots have one more armor point, each, than their iron equivalents. A diamond chestplate has two more points.
So, an iron helm, pants, or boots, with Prot. I, should be exactly the same as an unenchanted diamond piece (in regards to damage reduction -- obviously the diamond gear will last a great deal longer, though, with more than twice the durability of iron).
For the chestplate, you'd need Prot. II on your iron gear to be the same as an unenchanted diamond one.
Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:39 PM
Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:01 PM
Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:44 PM
Prot. IV is 3 points better than Prot. I.
3 - 1 = 2, so for most pieces, iron with prot. IV is 2 points better than diamond with prot. 1.
3 - 2 = 1, so for the chestplate, it's still better, but only 1 point better instead of two.
Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:39 AM
As for myself, I just wear a diamond chestplate and leggings with Protection IV, which is better than full iron (65-73% damage reduction vs. 60%); I don't consider full diamond to be necessary. Note also that repairing a chestplate and leggings is more efficient than boots and helmet since one diamond restores 25% durability regardless of the item and they have more durability (also up to 2x more efficient to repair compared to just using them until they wear out, even if you don't enchant them; 4 diamonds = a new chestplate by repairing as opposed to using 8 to make a new one).
Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:28 PM
So if you have 60% damage reduction from full iron armor and 4% damage reduction from Prot, then damage taken = 0.4 * 0.96 = 0.384, which is 61.6% damage reduction (not 64% as you might expect if they were added.)
That seems to be a bad deal, but the good part is that Armor and Protection enchants can combine to get you above 80% damage reduction.
As the wiki says:
"a full suit of diamond armor reduces damage from attacks by 80% -- if each piece of armor also had a Protection IV enchantment (EPF 5 each), the enchantments would further reduce damage by 40% to 80% each time, for a total damage reduction of 88% to 96% (i.e., 80%, plus 40%-80% of the remaining 20%)."
So IronMagus, unusually, is wrong here.
Keep in mind that getting from 80% to 90% damage reduction has the same effect as getting from 0% to 50%, in the sense that both double your lifespan under attack.
From that point of view, going from 37.5% damage (full Iron armor) to 16.7% damage (full Diamond armor) is as good as going from no armor (100% damage) to full Chain armor (50% damage.) Those last few points of armor seem trivial but they count for a lot if you are talking about lifespan under attack!