• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

MinecraftLegaxy

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

Ever wonder if Iron Prot 1 is better or the same as diamond? Well if you do then your going to be glad to here that I have started posting vids on this topic as I compare all the set of armor with protection on them and normal with each other. So far only leather has been posted! Stay tuned and in the next few days find out is iron Prot 1 better or diamond!
Schedule:

Prot= Protection

Today: Leather
7/1/13: Gold and Chain
7/2/13: Iron
7/3/13: Diamond
7/4/13: Test in lava/mob damage
7/5/13: Comparision of all (Prot 1 Leather = Gold?,Chain> Gold?, Iron Prot 1 = Diamond, and more)

Don't Forget to rate comment and Subscribe. If you think its good then give it to your friends to watch. Follow me on twitter: http://bit.ly/1aMZevv

And without further a do here is the vid: http://bit.ly/13jrepb

Register or log in to remove.

IronMagus

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:15 AM

Protection I provides one EPF (Enchantment Protection Factor) point, which adds 4% damage reduction.

Each armor point also adds 4% damage reduction.

Diamond helms, pants, and boots have one more armor point, each, than their iron equivalents.  A diamond chestplate has two more points.

So, an iron helm, pants, or boots, with Prot. I, should be exactly the same as an unenchanted diamond piece (in regards to damage reduction -- obviously the diamond gear will last a great deal longer, though, with more than twice the durability of iron).

For the chestplate, you'd need Prot. II on your iron gear to be the same as an unenchanted diamond one.

(Source: wiki:Armor)
Village Mechanics: A not-so-brief guide - Update for 1.4! Added subsection on iron farming to the iron golems section. Only ten villagers required to spawn golems (down from sixteen)! Put to rest the "facing doors cancel each other" myth!

View PostTechdolphin, on 30 September 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you say plz because it is shorter than please, I will say no because it is shorter than yes.

Try_Harder
  • Minecraft: Red_Herobrine
  • Xbox:nu uh

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

What about prot 1 diamond armour vs prot 4 iron?
+1

God_Megusta
  • Minecraft: God_Megusta

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Just use diamond armour, it has more durability
(\/)(;,,;)(\/)

blackzom
    blackzom

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostGod_Megusta, on 31 August 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

My thinking exactly.
Posted Image

IronMagus

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostGod_Megusta, on 31 August 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

While not incorrect, your response didn't answer the question that was asked.

View PostTry_Harder, on 31 August 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

What about prot 1 diamond armour vs prot 4 iron?
Diamond is 1 point better for all pieces except the chestplate, where it is 2 points better.

Prot. IV is 3 points better than Prot. I.

3 - 1 = 2, so for most pieces, iron with prot. IV is 2 points better than diamond with prot. 1.

3 - 2 = 1, so for the chestplate, it's still better, but only 1 point better instead of two.
Village Mechanics: A not-so-brief guide - Update for 1.4! Added subsection on iron farming to the iron golems section. Only ten villagers required to spawn golems (down from sixteen)! Put to rest the "facing doors cancel each other" myth!

View PostTechdolphin, on 30 September 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you say plz because it is shorter than please, I will say no because it is shorter than yes.

AgentBloxxerWIN

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

Mostly diamond armor has more durability

TheMasterCaver
  • Minecraft: PogomanMaster

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that the damage reduction provided by Protection is randomized between 50-100%, so even full Protection IV armor (20 EPF) may only provide an additional 40% damage reduction (88-96% total for full diamond armor, or 76-92% for full iron).

As for myself, I just wear a diamond chestplate and leggings with Protection IV, which is better than full iron (65-73% damage reduction vs. 60%); I don't consider full diamond to be necessary. Note also that repairing a chestplate and leggings is more efficient than boots and helmet since one diamond restores 25% durability regardless of the item and they have more durability (also up to 2x more efficient to repair compared to just using them until they wear out, even if you don't enchant them; 4 diamonds = a new chestplate by repairing as opposed to using 8 to make a new one).

maxaraxa
  • Minecraft: maxaraxa

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Real men don't use armor

TheWesson

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Also, protection from armor and protection from Prot Enchantment aren't added but multiplied.
So if you have 60% damage reduction from full iron armor and 4% damage reduction from Prot, then damage taken = 0.4 * 0.96 = 0.384, which is 61.6% damage reduction (not 64% as you might expect if they were added.)

That seems to be a bad deal, but the good part is that Armor and Protection enchants can combine to get you above 80% damage reduction.

As the wiki says:
"a full suit of diamond armor reduces damage from attacks by 80% -- if each piece of armor also had a Protection IV enchantment (EPF 5 each), the enchantments would further reduce damage by 40% to 80% each time, for a total damage reduction of 88% to 96% (i.e., 80%, plus 40%-80% of the remaining 20%)."

So IronMagus, unusually, is wrong here.

Keep in mind that getting from 80% to 90% damage reduction has the same effect as getting from 0% to 50%, in the sense that  both double your lifespan under attack.

From that point of view, going from 37.5% damage (full Iron armor) to 16.7% damage (full Diamond armor) is as good as going from no armor (100% damage) to full Chain armor (50% damage.)  Those last few points of armor seem trivial but they count for a lot if you are talking about lifespan under attack!