• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How do you Lake Drain?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Shotgun Steve

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:00 AM

I was discussing draining lakes that I constantly do to make things easier for Beta, but most Minecrafters I talk to ususally say a few things along the lines of:

"DRAINING A LAKE? LUDICROUS, SIR!"

"That's impossible. You're using hacks."

"teachmeteachmeteachmeteachme"

"Oh, yeah...I do that all the time." (No, they don't.)

So, I'm just asking...do you guys drain lakes? Or am I just one in a million? I'm certain that lake draining is common, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it for the months I've been playing so maybe....just maybe...I discovered this?

I HIGHLY doubt it though. I mean come on, people surely do this without using Lava or anything, right?

Register or log in to remove.

insanedane8

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:00 AM

Fill it with sand, then shovel it all out? I have done it once.

ImACheesyMonkey

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

Easiest way is to use dirt and sand to fill it out. Or, you can use a sponge mod. :Diamond:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Shotgun Steve

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

insanedane8 said:

Yeah, that's what I do. I do a pattern like...how do I show this...

:sand:  :sand:  :sand:
:sand: :Diamond: :sand:  
:Water:   :sand:  :Water:  :sand:
:sand:  :sand:  :sand:  :sand:
This is just a pattern and stuff, I might show screenshots if people ask.

Keaton3
    Keaton3

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:04 AM

I drained a pond the other day...

I only do it when it is in the way of something I am building though.

Keaton3 said:

KonchShell said:

I really hope this is all a joke. Otherwise I have been playing ALL WRONG.
I would sig this, but it would make no sense out of context ;_;

TEKsterful said:

Spider's on, is possessive, meaning on is used as a noun in this case. What is an on?

Medicguy2

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:04 AM

I only drain CERTAIN parts of a lake/ocean if I build underwater structures. I have an idea on some since ladders can magically block water (Like anything carved from wood, apparently. Half-steps seem to work, as well as doors. I will get pics from my play-test world, if needed.
Konami Code on Minecraft... wouldn't that just kill Creepers on the spot? [SSSS]
Also, images are gone, but I didn't have to worry much... none were on my sig. Others have different opinions...

MrKsoft
    MrKsoft

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

Fill in the whole thing with cotton or something else similarly flammable, and set it alight.  (Make sure there aren't any trees or other such things around!)

Hal9000
    Hal9000

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2776 posts
  • Minecraft: ApertureGLaDOS

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

Drain lakes? I go all eco-pretty and make a giant shrine in the center, bordering parts of the lake with reeds. :Lava:

Posted Image

Shotgun Steve

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:06 AM

MrKsoft said:

Fill in the whole thing with cotton or something else similarly flammable, and set it alight.  (Make sure there aren't any trees or other such things around!)
I know HOW to drain a lake, I'm just cur- oh, you're talking about how you do it, I'm sorry.

Set it on fire? That's what you do?

....Cool.

Hal9000 said:

Drain lakes? I go all eco-pretty and make a giant shrine in the center, bordering parts of the lake with reeds. :)

:P

MrKsoft
    MrKsoft

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

Shotgun Steve said:

I know HOW to drain a lake, I'm just cur- oh, you're talking about how you do it, I'm sorry.

Set it on fire? That's what you do?

....Cool.

Yep, because I enjoy the irony of emptying a body of water using fire.

Dragnfly
    Dragnfly

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

I need to drain a 150x150 chunk of ocean and can't use MCedit or similar programs. I'm also not admin.

I've been doing it by building a wall down to the seabed in cobble, to box in my 150x150 area. Then, I've been divinding it into 10x10 sections with sand. After it's divided, I fill a section with sand, and then empty it.

It's taking BLOODY FOREVER! I can't possibly get that much wool. Has anyone found out any quicker solutions?
Like any good terraforming initiative, it began with an angry Creeper, a hole in the beach and a pig.

Ruralgeek
  • Minecraft: Ruralgeek

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

insanedane8 said:

This is what I do too.

ThatGuyCarth said:

I love Blizzard, but god help me, WoW is a giant money engine that uses human souls as fuel.

Juze
    Juze

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 5724 posts
  • Minecraft: Juze

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

Since somebody was talking about a spongemod... I saw two days ago that wiki claims Sponge was removed from the game.

http://www.minecraft...net/wiki/Sponge

I believe it still exists, does it? At least the ID 19 is there: http://www.minecraft... ... esBeta.png

Wiki also claims that both Classic and Alpha had water draining functionality, while it's been removed in Beta. Wasn't it that sponges didn't work in Alpha either?

And I drain lakes with WorldEdit and //drain.
Posted Image
AngelCraft 64 Texture Pack v2.0.2 (Beta 1.8.1)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Nerd, geek, server admin, guy wearing a rainbow skin (with an office suit of epicness)? That's me.

Swingerzetta said:

Juze has spoken, and so it will be.

Doomthief said:

1. Cry a river
2. Build a bridge
3. Get over it

Fandan
    Fandan

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

uh, op, how do you do it?
I mean that thing with the sand is so... dunno, i expected something smarter if you start a thread just for that.
REMOVE KEBAP

Fidget98160
  • Minecraft: Fidget98160

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

I filled the middle with sand, then use buckets on the rest.
Posted Image

The Vault Dweller
  • Location: Imprisoned safely behind a large vault door, under a mountain of stone.
  • Minecraft: odin6616

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

If you want to keep the natural seabed without accidentally digging too far down into it, you're meant to fill the area with gravel then dig all that and reuse it, however, you do need a large starting portion of gravel and several diamond shovels if you plan on emptying something large.

Btw, making lakes is pro
Too many humans, not enough space or resources to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely human ones...

TheMerricat

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Hmmm...

Am I missing something? Anytime I wanted to 'erase' a body of water I just replaced the top layer of water with dirt blocks then when that was done, dug them out. The source blocks were always the top layer, so once they are gone the whole thing dries out immediately...

Have I just not run into a real 'ocean'?

MagAss
    MagAss

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

No, every layer is a source block.

Posted Image

Vilborg
    Vilborg

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2769 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

I find that draining a lake is a bad way to make an underwater house.  You know, there not being water anymore.

K_Kinnison said:

If i were a mod, i would be destroying threads like a creeper at a hug-a-thon

Meddyan said:

That's right, this elevator is powered by MURDER and ANIMAL CRUELTY.

Denn said:

Manly blood is both highly acidic AND highly basic, but I'm glad to see you're paying attention.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lurkndog
    Lurkndog

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

Dragnfly said:

I need to drain a 150x150 chunk of ocean and can't use MCedit or similar programs. I'm also not admin.

I've been doing it by building a wall down to the seabed in cobble, to box in my 150x150 area. Then, I've been divinding it into 10x10 sections with sand. After it's divided, I fill a section with sand, and then empty it.

It's taking BLOODY FOREVER! I can't possibly get that much wool. Has anyone found out any quicker solutions?

This is pretty much how I was doing it, except that I prefer using gravel instead of sand. That way you are generating useful flint instead of just moving sand around.

Then I discovered the joys of fishing, and decided I didn't need to fill the whole thing in after all.