Latest News Article

Cauldron's hold infinite water and can store potions

cauldron

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

WorkHorse

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

The cauldron is useless.

Making it hold infinite water for filling bottles makes it just as useful as what I use - a water source block.

Also, since comparators give an output for cauldrons it should be able to hold 3 buckets of water.  Put 3 in and take 3 out.

To make cauldrons useful I suggest making it hold a limited amount of one type of potion.  The advantage being that you can have cauldrons holding your potions since bottles do not stack and fill chests quickly and you wouldn't need to make as many bottles.

Simply right click a cauldron with a filled potion and if it is the same type of potion it is emptied into the cauldron.  Right click with an empty bottle to fill it with the potion.

I'm not really sure how much it should be able to hold, maybe 27 bottles worth - that's how many a single chest can hold.

The liquid would have the color of the potion.  If the cauldron has a potion in it it would have the lowest level of liquid, if halfway full the second liquid level and full would look full.

What do you guys think?

Register or log in to remove.

chinchillas48
  • Minecraft: chinchillas48

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

I completely agree, cauldrons have practically no purpose. They definitely should be infinite water sources, or at least a source that could fill a several buckets. I also like the idea of a cauldron holding potions.

The only thing I disagree with is the number of potions a cauldron can hold. Twenty-seven is a lot, that's just way too much. I think it should just be 3. That's how many bottles of water you can get with a cauldron, so I think it should be the same for filling potions.

Overall though, I support!

Blootz
    Blootz

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2599 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

I disagree with this.

You don't put water into a cauldron and then it has an infinite water source. Just no. I agree with, however it being able to fill more buckets/glass bottles.

I am the one and only Deity of Justice.

WorkHorse

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

View Postchinchillas48, on 27 June 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

Twenty-seven is a lot, that's just way too much. I think it should just be 3.

Overall though, I support!

Yeah the only thing I'm not really sure about is how much it should hold.  I picked 27 since that's what a single chest can hold.  I'd really like feedback on what people think would be a good amount.

Thanks for the support! (even if it's mixed)

TropicalDefeat
  • Minecraft: Cat_PurrsBOOM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

I think the potion holding idea is nice, however, for infinite water I'd rather just keep using a 2x2.
Posted Image

Developer
  • Minecraft: Developer

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostBlootz, on 27 June 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

I disagree with this.

You don't put water into a cauldron and then it has an infinite water source. Just no. I agree with, however it being able to fill more buckets/glass bottles.
At least it looks better than the 2x2 holes in the ground. Unless they fix that 'bug' (?) this shouldn't be a problem.

Posted Image

flaminghawk83

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Way too OP. No support.

Posted Image

GateFox
    GateFox

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1965 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostDeveloper, on 27 June 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

At least it looks better than the 2x2 holes in the ground. Unless they fix that 'bug' (?) this shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, even just one hole filled with water can infinitely fill bottles...
"On the Internet, you can pretty much be whatever you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."

"On a scale of one mile to Lord of the Rings, how far did you walk today?"

WorkHorse

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

View PostGateFox, on 27 June 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

Actually, even just one hole filled with water can infinitely fill bottles...

That's what I meant infinite water for bottles, not buckets.

WorkHorse

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:47 AM

View Postflaminghawk83, on 27 June 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

Way too OP. No support.

I don't see how this is OP.  Infinite water has always been around and a chest can hold just as many potions (which can be of different types).  This can only fill bottles and hold as many potions as a single chest (and they must be of the same type).

The only advantages are:
1.) Aesthetic when it comes to filling bottles (unless you are in the nether).
2.) Not needing to dig up a desert to hold all your potions.

InfoTeddy
    InfoTeddy

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostBlootz, on 27 June 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

Are you talking about realism? Minecraft is already unrealistic. You don’t put a 4*4*1 water space and then have it be infinite. However, Minecraft is unrealistic, so you do get it infinite.

ohaikthxbai and stuff ~~~
Posted Image
lol/Rant/Whatever of the…!: Beyond: Two Souls is a sad/depressing game. Not like the ending of Mother 3 isn’t more sad.

flaminghawk83

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostWorkHorse, on 28 June 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:

I don't see how this is OP.  Infinite water has always been around and a chest can hold just as many potions (which can be of different types).  This can only fill bottles and hold as many potions as a single chest (and they must be of the same type).

The only advantages are:
1.) Aesthetic when it comes to filling bottles (unless you are in the nether).
2.) Not needing to dig up a desert to hold all your potions.
So, let me see if I get this straight. You put one bucket of water in there, then it magically multiplies so there is infinite water. I think this is OP. No support.

Posted Image

Badprenup
    Badprenup

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11001 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

View Postflaminghawk83, on 28 June 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

So, let me see if I get this straight. You put one bucket of water in there, then it magically multiplies so there is infinite water. I think this is OP. No support.
That isn't really OP. You need a Bucket to get Water either way. That is 3 Iron. Then you can either put it in a 1x3 hole or a 2x2 hole to make an infinite Water source. With this, you can spend 7 additional Iron in order to save 2-3 spaces in your house. Not a big deal. I'm not a fan of the potion thing though. I would rather spend 8 Wood on a Chest.
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

Coga19000

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait guys, I think there's a misunderstanding here. If I have understood correctly, the kid basically suggests the Cauldron to work the same way a Water source does (without the flowing, though): to fill infinite amounts of Bottles, but to be immediately emptied by a Bucket. Not bad, if you ask me, as it will be better than a 3x3x2 Water-and-blocks-so-it-will-not-flow area.

Support.
"A theory states that, if anyone discovers how and why the Minecraftia was created, and why it was created with its certain shape, it will instanlty dissapear and be replaced by another, ever more bizzare and weirdly-shaped."

flaminghawk83

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostBadprenup, on 28 June 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

That isn't really OP. You need a Bucket to get Water either way. That is 3 Iron. Then you can either put it in a 1x3 hole or a 2x2 hole to make an infinite Water source. With this, you can spend 7 additional Iron in order to save 2-3 spaces in your house. Not a big deal. I'm not a fan of the potion thing though. I would rather spend 8 Wood on a Chest.
It is OP. Even though you have to get the water, you only have to get it once. You get it once, then you have as much as you want. It is OP. Though you have to get it with one bucket, it is only one bucket, that it small compared to infinite water. No support, no matter what you said.

Posted Image

Badprenup
    Badprenup

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11001 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

View Postflaminghawk83, on 28 June 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

It is OP. Even though you have to get the water, you only have to get it once. You get it once, then you have as much as you want. It is OP. Though you have to get it with one bucket, it is only one bucket, that it small compared to infinite water. No support, no matter what you said.
Except with a bucket in any other situation you have to get it twice. Then you have as much as you want. How is one trip compared to two for the cost of 7 Iron all that overpowered again? After all, you could just use 3/7 of that Iron and make a second bucket. Then you only need one trip anyways.

Edit: Coga is right actually. In the OP it said that this would be for potions, not buckets. So it is actually the exact same as digging a hole and dropping water in it.
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

flaminghawk83

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostBadprenup, on 28 June 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Except with a bucket in any other situation you have to get it twice. Then you have as much as you want. How is one trip compared to two for the cost of 7 Iron all that overpowered again? After all, you could just use 3/7 of that Iron and make a second bucket. Then you only need one trip anyways.

Edit: Coga is right actually. In the OP it said that this would be for potions, not buckets. So it is actually the exact same as digging a hole and dropping water in it.
Ok, seven iron ingots. When you are far in the game, it isn't that hard to get. But for seven iron ingots, you get infinite water for potions. Hmmm.

Posted Image

Coga19000

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postflaminghawk83, on 28 June 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

Ok, seven iron ingots. When you are far in the game, it isn't that hard to get. But for seven iron ingots, you get infinite water for potions. Hmmm.

Oh, come on dude! By using already existing water pools, you already have infinite water for bottling, for the cost of zero iron ingots! Using seven of them for such a thing with better aesthetics is not that cheap, if you ask me...
"A theory states that, if anyone discovers how and why the Minecraftia was created, and why it was created with its certain shape, it will instanlty dissapear and be replaced by another, ever more bizzare and weirdly-shaped."

Metamorphic_Fish
  • Minecraft: Gamebuster19901
  • Xbox:Gamebuster1990

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

*Digs hole in ground, fills with water.*

There is your infinite water source.

Phantom_Zelon
  • Minecraft: Phantom_Zelon

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostWorkHorse, on 27 June 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

The cauldron is useless. Nope. Look at sinks, tree stands, etc. Aesthetics baby, and a few more things.

Making it hold infinite water (for filling bottles) makes it just as useful as what I use - a water source block. Then stick with the source block.

To make cauldrons useful I suggest making it hold a limited amount of one type of potion.  The advantage being that you can have cauldrons holding your potions since bottles do not stack and fill chests quickly and you wouldn't need to make as many bottles. #JustDealWithAChestIt'sOnly8Wood

Simply right click a cauldron with a filled potion and if it is the same type of potion it is emptied into the cauldron.  Right click with an empty bottle to fill it with the potion.

I'm not really sure how much it should be able to hold, maybe 27 bottles worth. 27. Bottles. Of. Potions. Lemme just say that if I would support, the amount would be lower.

The liquid would have the color of the potion.  If the cauldron has a potion in it it would have the lowest level of liquid, if halfway full the second liquid level and full would look full. It would add aesthetics.

If you don't like infinite water, just make the cauldron hold as much water as it can potion. Ok let's break rain detectors and BUD switches that rely on cauldrons, comparators, or just the old fashion way. Let's break that secret door in Hypixel's Herobrine's Mansion map when you take away the water from the cauldron, I mean it's all worth it for something that could already be done by making a small case with water!

What do you guys think? I think no :)

<コ:彡 Posted Image
Spoiler:
Posted Image