• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[GUIDE] How to make a Minecraft Server on Mac

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

There is not much support available for users of Minecraft who want to create their own Private Server to share with their friends or just use themselves. Sometimes people even use this method to make a public server but that requires lots of time and very good internet speeds. This guide is for those users who want to create a minecraft server but do not have huge amounts of time and are relatively new to making servers and programming.

Contents:
1. Downloads/Intro
2. CraftBukkit Server
3. Normal Server
4. Launcher/Adding RAM for CraftBukkit
5. Launcher/Adding RAM for Normal Server
6. Mods
7.PortForwarding

1. To start off you need to choose if you want to make a server which you can Mod using the very popular Mods which are downloaded from the Bukkit Forum (http://forums.bukkit.org/), or if you want to make a server which is just plain and has no Mods except for Basic Commands.

I have made a server containing the latest files for a craftbukkit server including a plugin which updates your server to the latest build from bukkit. This folder needs to be downloaded at: http://adf.ly/s6VX
Place this folder in your documents folder and download the launcher at: http://adf.ly/s6f5
After you have downloaded the launcher right click it then click 'Open With' and then choose 'Text Edit' if available. If not click 'Other' and then choose any Text editing program. Text Edit is the default text editing program on a mac. Change the 'Your-Name-Here' in the first line of the file to your username on your mac. You still need to scroll down to Section 4. And follow the instructions for activating the launcher
If you do not want to have to click both those links and download both files in one folder click the following link http://adf.ly/sEaW

If you choose to make a server which you can mod you will need to download CraftBukkit http://ci.bukkit.org....1-SNAPSHOT.jar. This link should download a .jar file called craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar into your Downloads Folder. If this link does not work take a look at this website: http://wiki.bukkit.o...ing_up_a_server and scroll down to the Linux/Mac OS tutorial and click the link which says 'Download CraftBukkit - Development Snapshot'. I know it says development but don't worry.

However if you choose to make a more Basic Server, which doesn't require as much time and skill download the Server Software at: http://www.minecraft...v=1298905924152.
If that link does not work go to http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp and scroll to the bottom of the page and download the file called 'minecraft_server.jar' this is located at the second line from the bottom.

2. If you have not chosen to download the CraftBukkit Server then Scroll down to section 3 of this Tutorial. The .jar file you have downloaded should be located in your 'Downloads' folder, if you didn't already know where your downloads folder is it is under Macintosh HD/Users/(Your User Name)/Downloads. Now you need to make a folder where all your Server Files Will be located. I have made mine in the 'Documents' Folder. Name this Folder whatever you wish to name, I have named mine 'MC_Server". Now simply drag and drop you file (This should be called 'craftbukkit-0.0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar') into your new folder. It Should look like this:

[IMG]http://i1112.photobu...-20at132451.png[/IMG]

DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK THE .JAR FILE

You need to create a launcher which will launch the Server properly. If you double click the .jar file it will seem like you have launched the server but it will not open a terminal window where you can control the server and view what is happening. Scroll past the section about setting up a more simple server.

3. If you have chosen to download the CraftBukkit Server then Scroll up to section 2 of this Tutorial. The .jar file you have downloaded should be located in your 'Downloads' folder, if you didn't already know where your downloads folder is it is under Macintosh HD/Users/(Your User Name)/Downloads. Now you need to make a folder where all your Server Files Will be located. I have made mine in the 'Documents' Folder. Name this Folder whatever you wish to name, I have named mine 'MC_Server". Now simply drag and drop you file (This should be called 'minecraft_server.jar') into your new folder. It Should look like this:

Posted Image

Now double click on the minecraft_server.jar file and this will create a few files inside your folder and your server log/chat/admin window will appear. For an explanation of the files created scroll down to section 4. (Creating a launcher for CraftBukkit). The window which appears should look like this:

Posted Image
(ignore that it says craftbukkit...) in the folder and:
Posted Image

You will see that the Server tells you it doesn't have enough RAM (random access memory). We need to stop the server by typing 'stop' into the small bar below the long/chat/info box as shown below, this should stop your server and close the window/application. Now scroll down to section 5 for information/instructions on how to add more RAM and make a launcher for your server.

Posted Image

4. To create a launcher and add more RAM to your server you must go into text edit Mactintosh HD/Users/Your User Name/Applications/Text Edit. You will open an empty window when you first open the application. You need to make the file into Plain Text, to do this you must Format (in the top menu bar, i think that is what is called) and then click 'Make Plain Text' or simply just press Shift then Command and then the T key.
Now enter the following text (or you could copy it) I have changed the name of my craftbukkit file to CraftBukkit.jar so that it is easier to enter it, you can change yours aswell if you want by selecting it and pressing enter and then change then name to your liking. or you can just change the 'craftbukkit.jar' in the launcher to 'craftbukkit-0.0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar' :

cd /Users/Type-Your-User-Name-Here/Documents/Type-Your-Folder-Name
java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar

Remember to change the 'Type-Your-User-Name-Here' and 'Type-Your-Folder-Name' to what your folder and User name actually is.

Posted Image

Now when you got to save make sure that the file name is 'Launch.command' and click save.

Posted Image

To activate the file/command you need to go into terminal/open terminal (application) and type:

Chmod +x *path to your launch.command file*

Posted Image

(I Have removed my name from the picture, you will se your computer's name and your user name in the blanks.

And then press enter, you will see that nothing happens but it will work if you have done it correctly.

This will have create several files inside your folder, your folder should look like this now:

Posted Image

You mat place the .command file which you have created anywhere you like.

Double click the .command file and the server will be launched

Explation of Files Created:
Banned-ips.txt - You will use this file to add a player's ip address which you dont want joining the server, if you open this file you should just see a blank file.
Banned-player.txt - You will use this file to add a player's minecraft.net username so that the player with that username cannot join the Server, however if a player is account sharing it will block all users of the account from joining. I prefer to use the banned-ips.txt file to ban players.
craftbukkit-0.0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar - This is of course the file where it all started, it does not delete itself. DO NOT under any circumstances delete this file.
ops.txt - 'ops' is short for operators, any players added to the list on this file will become an 'operator' and have the ability to execute certain commands.
plugins - The plugins folder is where you will place your plugins once you have set up your server.
server.log - The log which records everything that happens on the server. (The small logo next to the name is different for me as i have special text editing software called 'Text Wrangler' and is available for download on the Mac App Store, i recommend that you download this application.)
server.log.lck - Another log file.
Server.properties - A file which you can edit to your taste, this edits the properties of your server.
white-list.txt - If the white-list is enabled (in server.properties you must change the setting 'white-list=false' to 'white-list=true'. If enabled only players on the white-list may join your server.
world -  The world folder contains all the files which make up your world and also the files of the players which have joined your server (items, last visited location etc...)

5. You will see that this part of the tutorial is the same as the section for how to create a launcher for a CraftBukkit server. I have used the same pictures, so wherever it says 'craftbukkit.jar' change it to 'minecraft_server.jar'  To create a launcher and add more RAM to your server you must go into text edit Mactintosh HD/Users/Your User Name/Applications/Text Edit. You will open an empty window when you first open the application. You need to make the file into Plain Text, to do this you must Format (in the top menu bar, i think that is what is called) and then click 'Make Plain Text' or simply just press Shift then Command and then the T key.

Now enter the following text (or you could copy it):

cd /Users/Type-Your-User-Name-Here/Documents/Type-Your-Folder-Name
java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar

Remember to change the 'Type-Your-User-Name-Here' and 'Type-Your-Folder-Name' to what your folder and User name actually is. And change the craftbukkit.jar to minecraft_server.jar

Posted Image

Now when you got to save make sure that the file name is 'Launch.command' and click save.

Posted Image

To activate the file/command you need to go into terminal/open terminal (application) and type:

Chmod +x *path to your launch.command file*

Posted Image

(I Have removed my name from the picture, you will se your computer's name and your user name in the blanks.

And then press enter, you will see that nothing happens but it will work if you have done it correctly.

This will have create several files inside your folder, your folder should look like this now:

Posted Image

You mat place the .command file which you have created anywhere you like.

Now when you double click the launch.command file it will launch the server and it should have enough ram, if not right click the launch.command file and choose 'open with' and then choose 'text edit'. Then you can change the numbers (1024 and 1024) to 2048 for example.

6. Modding Your Server
Modding your server is very easy of you use a CraftBukkit Server, download a plugin form http://forums.bukkit.org/ and if there are no specific instructions to install the plugin just drag it into the 'Plugins' folder in your minecraft server folder.

7. PortForwarding
Download the PortMap application from http://www.codingmonkeys.de/portmap and launch the application. Make a new map with the local port 25565. Your Router firewall settings must allow this though.

Send this guide to your Friends by sending them this link: http://adf.ly/s8d8

Thank You for Reading my Set Up Tutorial for a Minecraft Server on a Mac Computer. I spent a long time writing this tutorial so I would be very grateful if you could Donate via paypal, by clicking the link (or the button if it is working) below:
https://www.paypal.c...d=APXHWEL8J3CAQ
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

plz comment on this guide to keep it in the first few pages so that more people see it :RedShroom:

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

anyone want to say something?

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

somehow my guide is getting many views, but NO comments

bendright

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

I'm trying this now, I'll tell you how it goes :)
Posted Image

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

good luck ;)

Swook
    Swook

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1182 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

MacMCServerSuport said:

good luck :P

Great guide :Diamond:  :Diamond: , mind if I make a reference to it in my mac guide in the server admin. board? I dont know much about bukkit, I get a lot of questions on it, and I would like to direct them here since you seem to know more about it.

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

to be honest i would love it if you link it and make a reference to it, i have spent a long time making it so yeah please feel free to do so. i'm glad that you liked the guide

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

i have decided that if this guide ever gets to 1,000 views i will make an entire guide of roughly the same length on installing mods into bukkit servers and/or installing a wrapper on the server. This guide will also include the mods that i use for my private server

Dasus!
    Dasus!

Carpenter

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

Users with a Mac could simply follow: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23122
Since technically, OS X (Mac's operating system) is a Linux distro.

I guess this helps since you included the thing about allowing Minecraft RAM.

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

i have had a quick glance through the guide but from what i have seen it looks much more confusing and more terminal commands and text editing is required

Dasus!
    Dasus!

Carpenter

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

MacMCServerSuport said:

i have had a quick glance through the guide but from what i have seen it looks much more confusing and more terminal commands and text editing is required
Not at all. It just asks you to check if you have java, download Minecraft, then turn it on. 7 commands at max, all easy to perform. This thread is very dedicated, and goes into alot of details.

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

i suppose so but still it doesn't tell u how to install mod using craftbukkit or portforward

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

how many views has it got now i cant see?

Mr_Brooks

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

http://img132.images... ... at923.png/
ummmm.... what do i do now?

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

thats correct. I do not know what is wrong. Maybe it is that the ip is a local ip in the top bar whereas it should be a public ip

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

just launch the server and people should be able to connect. give them the ip in the top bar (the second one down) followed by ':25565' with out the speech marks

MacMCServerSuport

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

nearly 1000 views

alecksus

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

what do i open th .command file with on windows? :S
Posted Image

alecksus

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

Never mind. you have to save it as .cmd rather than .command :)
Posted Image