• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Question on offline mode in 1.6

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

derf_weasel

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

I see that the new launcher has an offline mode, but I can't figure out how to (1) use offline mode when an internet connection is available, and (2) set user name while in offline mode.

I log in online to play on public smp servers, but I have a private 1.5.2 server running on my home computer in offline mode so I can play several 'personas' on the server. (I have a 'farmer', a 'miner', and an 'adventurer', each going about their lives in the same world). I have been logging into each using batch files to set the user name.

Is there a way to make this setup be compatible with the new update? I have a lot of time and effort put into this world, but can't really justify buying two more accounts to continue this style of playing.

The ideal case would be a way to let the client verify authenticity, but be able to set a username if offline (either from launcher or command line).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Register or log in to remove.

amazingpickle

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

First of all, you would not be able to pick a username when playing offline, because you can only use a username online, and playing online means that you bought the game so that would mean you would actually have to buy 2 more accounts if you want different usernames of each player.  Second of all, you are asking if you can play offline with an internet connection.  Yes you will always be able to play offline whether you have a connection or not.

Minecraft Forum Rules

Make sure you read, follow, and respect these civilized, helpful, and organized rules for the Forums.  Learn It-Live It-Love It

derf_weasel

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for trying to help. I may have been unclear in what I meant. I wasn't referring to single-player mode. I have already been successfully playing "online" (i.e., logged in and authenticated) on smp servers on the internet, but playing "offline" in smp with my own server on a lan for many months, since 1.2.5. It just required starting the minecraft jar directly from command line, as discussed in many other threads here.

The new launcher, at least as of the 1.6 pre-release today, does not give the option to "Play Offline" if it can authenticate the account over the internet. (At least I can't find it.) The Play Offline button goes away if it is able to log in.

I was asking for advice on, first, playing "offline" even though the internet and authentication system are reachable, and, second, entering a player name while in offline mode so I could access multiple characters in my world.

I hope this helps clarify. Thanks anyway.

cestislife
    cestislife

Resident Fuzzball

• Sectional Moderator
  • 6581 posts
  • Minecraft: LORDVENOM0001

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

View Postderf_weasel, on 25 June 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

The new launcher, at least as of the 1.6 pre-release today, does not give the option to "Play Offline" if it can authenticate the account over the internet. (At least I can't find it.) The Play Offline button goes away if it is able to log in.

Are you sure you've redownloaded the launcher? It is now on version 1.0
Posted Image

And the "Play Offline" button is there regardless of whether it can reach the servers or not. This is me trying to load the game in offline mode.

Posted Image

derf_weasel

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here's a screenshot of my launcher just after loading. I see a "Play Offline" button briefly, but it is quickly replaced by "Play".

Posted Image

cestislife
    cestislife

Resident Fuzzball

• Sectional Moderator
  • 6581 posts
  • Minecraft: LORDVENOM0001

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

View Postderf_weasel, on 25 June 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here's a screenshot of my launcher just after loading. I see a "Play Offline" button briefly, but it is quickly replaced by "Play".

-snip-

What happens when you try to run the game, exit out of it and running the launcher again. For me, it shows the "Play Offline" button indefinitely unless I logout and login again.

Posted Image

derf_weasel

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

It seems that my launcher is automatically logging in when it loads. I don't know what setting could cause that. If I exit and reload, again the "Play Offline" button is quickly replaced by "Play". I don't know what is different between our setups.

In any case, I found an answer tinkering with the command line launching. So, it looks like I can continue the same approach I had been using in the past... use the launcher and log in for smp servers or single player worlds, and use a command line start to get specific 'characters' in my personal smp server.

Thanks for your efforts.

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4916 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

The new launcher is new to all of us, and it doesn't exactly have documentation  Posted Image