• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Stuu
    Stuu

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

I like the sound of programming and I would like to take it up as a hobby and eventually start modding in years to come. I am looking for some good books / tutorials to get me started on learning Java.
Many thanks,
                    Stuu
P.S If anybody has modding tutorials / guides that they know that I could use in the future that would be greatly appreciated.

Register or log in to remove.

Armour5
    Armour5

Carpenter

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

I know how to code, and i'm not even 11 years old yet, Lol, anyways, I use Lua, not java, I think lua is easier to understand, I used it to make a few minimaps, on a game called "Roblox" My Username, as is, Armour5, and I became famous.
My Scroll! Care for my dragons and eggs. Click it. You know you want too.

Stuu
    Stuu

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

Armour5 said:

I know how to code, and i'm not even 11 years old yet, Lol, anyways, I use Lua, not java, I think lua is easier to understand, I used it to make a few minimaps, on a game called "Roblox" My Username, as is, Armour5, and I became famous.
That's pretty impressive! I'm going to stick with Java as my first language.

Cr15py
    Cr15py

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

I would actually suggest that you learn C/++ for several reasons.
1) It has a stable future.
Recently Java's future has been put in jeopardy due to lawsuits over Patents and copyrighted code involving VMs. C/++ has none of that proprietary bullshit.
2) It teaches you more about computers.
C/++ has access to more low level functions while still maintaining ease of use. If you can define a good programmer, that's what C/++ will turn you into.
3)If you can do it, you can do it with C/++
C/++ has both high and low level features that allow extreme flexibility in what can be created. C/++ is one of the most used languages in the world, consequently this means there are large numbers forums and other resources to help you learn, libraries to make programs better, and more career opportunities.

Of course, there are many more points but I won't list them all, fact is, learn C or C++.

thumper10
  • Minecraft: Salazarsam

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:25 AM

Here are my recommendations/tips on what languages to learn:
;) Java - Wouldn't recommend learning this first, Syntax isn't the greatest.
;) C, C#, or C++ - If it's possible on computers, this is what to code it in.
:) RBX.Lua or Lua - Pretty lightweight, easy to understand syntax, if you want to learn this, this website has a great IDE to use, but you can do so much more.
Website API Syntax example:
function kill(player)
	 wait(3)
	 player.Character.Humanoid.Health = 0
end

game.Players.PlayerAdded:connect(kill)
That Script is the most basic out there for Lua. I highly recommend it as a starter :)
Posted Image

crempel
    crempel

Carpenter

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:55 AM

Cr15py said:

I would actually suggest that you learn C/++ for several reasons.
1) It has a stable future.
Recently Java's future has been put in jeopardy due to lawsuits over Patents and copyrighted code involving VMs. C/++ has none of that proprietary bullshit.
2) It teaches you more about computers.
C/++ has access to more low level functions while still maintaining ease of use. If you can define a good programmer, that's what C/++ will turn you into.
3)If you can do it, you can do it with C/++
C/++ has both high and low level features that allow extreme flexibility in what can be created. C/++ is one of the most used languages in the world, consequently this means there are large numbers forums and other resources to help you learn, libraries to make programs better, and more career opportunities.

Of course, there are many more points but I won't list them all, fact is, learn C or C++.

I disagree. I mean, C++ is a fine language to learn and, arguably, it will be more useful in the long run. On the other hand, Java let's you get into programming without having to deal with a lot of the nuances of the computer. I think Java is a great stepping stone to C++.

Syntactically speaking, both languages are pretty similar. It also lets you try out a bunch of different things very quickly, and so I think it is more gratifying for new-comers; gratification comes much quicker.

I think Java is a great language for new programmers to pick up, but of course, I would never recommend stopping there. I likewise wouldn't recommend stopping at C++. Eventually, you should at least dip your toes into the pools of assembly, but, you have to start somewhere, and I see no reason why a person shouldn't start with Java.

I think it really all comes down to how deep of water a person is willing to jump into. Some like to get right into the deep end, some like to wade in the shallows for awhile. I don't think there is any harm in either approach (except perhaps the possibility of drowning if you decide to go to the deep end without any one to help you).

zuned1
    zuned1

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Minecraft: zuned11

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

I suggest Objective-C, if you wanna make some money out of it and are not an 18 year old yet.

Learning Objective-C is pretty easy with Apple. Apple uses Objective-C for all their hardware/software, and because there are no 'Big, expensive licenses and fees to pay' to add an App to the App Store, it can be a great way to make some money early in life. I am enrolled in the iOS Dev Program, and for 99$ a year, if you make some good apps, you can get some money.

However, that's my opinion. Although, learning anything within the C family is great. C is the base language, and Java, C++, and Objective-C are all just extensions to C. Objective-C, and I believe Java as well, add Object-Oriented Programming, and while it does add a bit of a learning curve, it's a great tool to have.
I'm wrote a story. You should read it.
100 Days to Mine
Already read it? Try the sequel,
Vagrants of the Mine
Bored of reading? Try my Youtube for some LP's!
zuned11's Channel

virtualdude

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

I think the Java framework and the Visual Basic Framework are much like each other.... Well that being said. Go with C++, C++ has a good syntax, and gives you quite a challenge in remembering your second grade math (You learned in school).... C++ is alot more native that you could possible compare to Java. C++ lets you do cross-platfor'ed applications, without dependencies or platforms... C++ not only teaches you good habbits, but once you're done with it. Learning very low-level languages such as ASM will be a hole lot easier, considering how hard ASM is. :)

Stuu
    Stuu

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

Ok, you guys have persuaded me to to change my mind. I'll be learning C++ now. Any good books/tutorials to learn C++?
@ zuned1 That sounds great. I might pick that up as a secondary language. I am getting an iPad and I would love to be able to make apps. Could I have more information?

nickguletskii

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

thumper10 said:

Here are my recommendations/tips on what languages to learn:
:SSSS: Java - Wouldn't recommend learning this first, Syntax isn't the greatest.
:) C, C#, or C++ - If it's possible on computers, this is what to code it in.
:) RBX.Lua or Lua - Pretty lightweight, easy to understand syntax, if you want to learn this, this website has a great IDE to use, but you can do so much more.
Website API Syntax example:
function kill(player)
	 wait(3)
	 player.Character.Humanoid.Health = 0
end

game.Players.PlayerAdded:connect(kill)
That Script is the most basic out there for Lua. I highly recommend it as a starter :)

No, just no.

Java syntax is pretty much the same as in other C family languages. Lua is outdated and generally useless nowadays. ROBLOX is a crap greedy game for idiots.

Armour5
    Armour5

Carpenter

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, lol, Well, I started learning lua on roblox, then I got really good, and then I tried out normal lua, For RBX.Lua, My most impressive minimap (Made it with my friend Garnold) Was Survival: Apocalypse.
It had like 3 visits, one day, went to sleep, woke up, it had more than 10k, just from overnight, right now it's at about 500k visits, wer'e starting to make S:A2, But I play minecraft a lot more now, so I haven't participated in S:A2 so far. :o
My Scroll! Care for my dragons and eggs. Click it. You know you want too.

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

Armour5 said:

Yeah, lol, Well, I started learning lua on roblox, then I got really good, and then I tried out normal lua, For RBX.Lua, My most impressive minimap (Made it with my friend Garnold) Was Survival: Apocalypse.
It had like 3 visits, one day, went to sleep, woke up, it had more than 10k, just from overnight, right now it's at about 500k visits, wer'e starting to make S:A2, But I play minecraft a lot more now, so I haven't participated in S:A2 so far. :Notch:
You think thats good, I made INFDEV in Roblox, before notch had even thought of making infinite maps. And the whole generator is probably 30 lines of code.
PjcSRnWan5s

I also experimented with procedural generation of existing terrain, which would use arrays to compress each block down to just 32 bits, or 4 bytes, and then only load the blocks when the player is near them. It was partially successful, only managed to do the procedural generation and not the player near them thing, but if it was successful, it would of meant I could store HUGE maps with very little lag. I used the first array for altitude, but other arrays could be used to store building locations for cities, roads, vegetation...
The rebellion has already begun. Otter Forums

thumper10

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

Armour5 said:

It had like 3 visits, one day, went to sleep, woke up, it had more than 10k, just from overnight, right now it's at about 500k visits, wer'e starting to make S:A2, But I play minecraft a lot more now, so I haven't participated in S:A2 so far. :)
I THOUGHT I RECOGNIZED YOUR NAME! Armour5, Garnold, etc. :)
I'm thumper10 on ROBLOX...
--| SWITCHING TO ON-TOPIC MODE |--
I don't know what I was thinking, yeah go with C++, you can start making Simple Programs like this.
Posted Image

thumper10

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

blaster said:

Armour5 said:

It had like 3 visits, one day, went to sleep, woke up, it had more than 10k, just from overnight, right now it's at about 500k visits, wer'e starting to make S:A2, But I play minecraft a lot more now, so I haven't participated in S:A2 so far. :)
You think thats good, I made INFDEV in Roblox, before notch had even thought of making infinite maps. And the whole generator is probably 30 lines of code.
-video-

I also experimented with procedural generation of existing terrain, which would use arrays to compress each block down to just 32 bits, or 4 bytes, and then only load the blocks when the player is near them. It was partially successful, only managed to do the procedural generation and not the player near them thing, but if it was successful, it would of meant I could store HUGE maps with very little lag. I used the first array for altitude, but other arrays could be used to store building locations for cities, roads, vegetation...

You should make a Perlin Noise Terrain Generator, they are fun to make...
Posted Image

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

thumper10 said:

blaster said:

Armour5 said:

It had like 3 visits, one day, went to sleep, woke up, it had more than 10k, just from overnight, right now it's at about 500k visits, wer'e starting to make S:A2, But I play minecraft a lot more now, so I haven't participated in S:A2 so far. :SSSS:
-video-

You should make a Perlin Noise Terrain Generator, they are fun to make...

Already exist. I don't like remaking something that already exists.

Radioaktiivinen

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Armour5 said:

youre not famous, i am
*Insert fun quote*

*Insert random links*

*Insert bar saying that minecraft was bought googolplexian times*

nickguletskii

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

It is funny how ROBLOX fanboys who have pirated the game *cough http://www.minecraft...?user=thumper10* are derailing and invading this thread.

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

nickguletskii wrote :
> It is funny how ROBLOX fanboys who have pirated the game *cough
> http://www.minecraft...?user=thumper10*
> are derailing and invading this thread.
He never said he had brought it, or even played Beta, he might be playing classic.
His account name may be different from his forum name.

nickguletskii

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

blaster wrote :
> nickguletskii wrote :
> > It is funny how ROBLOX fanboys who have pirated the game *cough
> > http://www.minecraft...?user=thumper10*
> > are derailing and invading this thread.
> He never said he had brought it, or even played Beta, he might be playing classic.
> His account name may be different from his forum name.

No, he didn't, I know that he pirates the game from the ROBLOX forums. He always asks for offline servers and he admitted that he pirates the game.

thumper10

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

nickguletskii said:

blaster wrote :
> nickguletskii wrote :
> > It is funny how ROBLOX fanboys who have pirated the game *cough
> > http://www.minecraft...?user=thumper10*
> > are derailing and invading this thread.
> He never said he had brought it, or even played Beta, he might be playing classic.
> His account name may be different from his forum name.

No, he didn't, I know that he pirates the game from the ROBLOX forums. He always asks for offline servers and he admitted that he pirates the game.

What the hell is your problem? I don't even play Minecraft anymore >.>
I play gMod.
And how am I invading this forum? I was giving my opinion on the matter, so please nick, leave and shutup.
Posted Image