[1.7.2] Waila 1.5.2

1.5.2 1.6.4 1.7.2

• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

ProfMobius

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

POPULAR

Hello everyone !

I have the pleasure to introduce to you Waila (What Am I Looking At). Waila is an extension for NEI. It will show in the tooltip what mod an item is from. Since the tooltip contains the mod name, you can also easly parse items per mods.
But that's not all ! Leveraging an extended NEI HUD, it is also capable of showing the name of blocks and mods ingame, right on top of your screen.
And if this is not enough, it comes with a few integrated modules to show internal information of some specific blocks. For now, BC tanks have been implemented (shows the content, capacity and amount of fluid) and IC2 machines (shows the In/out voltage).

CHANGELOG
   v1.5.2
  • Ported to 1.7.2
  • Key tagging is off if NEK is present.
v1.5.1a

This is a client side update. It is compatible with 1.5.1
Bugfixes
  • Fixed eye height while morphed
  • Fixed some crops showing the growth twice
  • Fixed Thaumcraft module not showing advanced aspects
  • Added support for TT & Kami to the Thaumcraft module
v1.5.1

This is a client side update. It is compatible with 1.5.0
Bugfixes
  • Fixed age old OGL constants bleeding. Should solve a lot of rendering issues (like the sky changing color).
  • Heart display for entities is fixed.
  • NBT crash on SSP fixed.
Config
  • Max number of hearts per line can be setup in the config file (default = 20).
  • Threshold HP value to switch from icon to text display can be setup in the config file (default = 40).
  • New General module config. Contains the "Show growth" and "Show entities hp" general configs.
Modules
  • Thaumcraft : When wearing goggles of revealing, blocks that store aspects will show what aspects they hold.
  • Agriculture : Display crop growth.
v1.5.0

Client
  • Added Steve's cart module using the Entity API
  • Added hidden Secret Doors
  • Added hidden Carpenter's doors
  • Added Harvestcraft crop support
  • Added MagicalCrop crop support
  • Added Statues support
  • Added a "Sneak to see" config option. Data will be hidden unless you sneak.
  • Fixed Project:Red overlay and FMP bugs.
Config & admin
  • Config file is generated at start when the modules are loaded instead of when the options are changed.
  • Config file is separated into 3 sections. General, modules and server_forcing
  • Config can be enforced by the server to a given value by setting the corresponding key in server_forcing to true.
Tooltip optimisation and fonctionnalities
  • All parts of the tooltip, besides the actual rendering, is now done outside the rendering tick. Should solve the latest slowdowns
  • Tooltips now support some form of column based display and Left/Right justification
  • Tooltips can now support displaying icons (the set is limited right now but will be extended)
API
  • Waila API is now a @API, so other mods shouldn't be able to mess it up when wrongly implemented.
  • New entity API. It works like the Block API, with its own dedicated provider and accessor. The registration is done the same way too.
  • New FMP API.
  • Deprecated quite a few registration methods to be 1.7 ready.
  • NBT syncing is not automatic anymore. You have to register the keys you want or "*" to register the whole tag tree. The command is IWailaRegistrar.registerSyncedNBTKey()
  • Fixed a few bugs in the handling of providers.
Spoiler:

PLANNED FEATURES
   + More stuff. I'm not out of ideas yet Posted Image

Spoiler: screens
Spoiler: spotlights
Spoiler: For modders

DOWNLOAD

All the releases
Sources

INSTALL
+ Make sure you get the latest version of NEI (minimum v1.5.2.28) from ChickenBones' Thread and install it as usual (in the coremods folder for 1.5.2, in the mods folder for 1.6.2 and above).
+ You will need the latest forge build if you are getting an error from ChickenCore when you are starting the game.
+ Grab Waila using the above link, and drop it in your mods folder.

USAGE
Not much to say here. Tooltips should work out of the box in the NEI interface.
There are 2 keybindings you want to check. [Waila] Config menu will allow you to setup which key pop up the menu (default to numpad0) while [Waila] Show/Hide will control (default numpad1) show/hide of the tooltip (will also be used for the maintened mode).
Check around the config menu, lot of things can be turned on/off.

Run around, enjoy.

MODPACKS
Waila (and all my mods) is distributed under the Apache 2.0 license. It has been for a while. This license means that you can do whatever you want with it (more or less). Also, FTB got a blanket license to include Waila and all my mods in their packs.
Stop asking me if you can include it, YES YOU CAN. That's what the permissive license is for.
Just do the usual link back to this thread or my blog and everything is cool.

CONTACT
Best way to get it touch with me is either here, on twitter (@ProfMobius) or via IRC (#mcp-modding on irc.esper.net).

Enjoy !

If you want to support this mod and its author (namely me Posted Image), don't hesitate to chip in. I will be eternally grateful and might even put easter eggs for You !
ProfMobius on Patreon

Register or log in to remove.

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2524 posts
  • Minecraft: Vazkii

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

This is looking faancy, prof. Is there a way to make addons for the addon, as in, having blocks from other mods display with custom info? It would be neat to look into an energy cell or whatever and see how powered it is :)

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

I make mods... Check out my website or Twitter. If you like my mods consider supporting me on Patreon.

Fuzzzie
    Fuzzzie

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Minecraft: fuzzzie

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

Looks awesome! Can't wait to try it out :)

FUZZZIE'S MINECRAFT MOD LIST & NEWS THREAD

Check it out here!

Raevox
    Raevox

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Minecraft: Raevox

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Looks neat. If I am getting this correctly, this simply adds the mod name in the tooltip of the item/block in inventories, and that, in turn allows the mod name to also be displayed with NEI's highlight tip feature, correct? This also eliminates the usage of "@Mod.<ModName>" feature in NEI's search bar, with a much simpler way to sort items by mods. Very simple, but very effective none the less. This should be a must-have for most modpacks now. :)

Posted Image

ProfMobius

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

@Vazkii,
It is in fact already a mod for NEI HUD display. I just helped making the HUD support a proper API so people can add stuff to it.
You can now quite easly add more stuff to the hud itself, like you can add things to tooltips.
Of course, I would rather make a module for Waila so everything is at the same place ;)
I will put together an API so you can add more stuff, or you can just tell me what you want to display, and I will make sure it is in the next version.

Darkhax
    Darkhax

Haxor Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 4073 posts
  • Minecraft: darkhax

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

This is so cool. This will be really helpful for a lot of people :D

Posted Image

ProfMobius

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

View PostRaevox, on 12 June 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

Looks neat. If I am getting this correctly, this simply adds the mod name in the tooltip of the item/block in inventories, and that, in turn allows the mod name to also be displayed with NEI's highlight tip feature, correct? This also eliminates the usage of "@Mod.<ModName>" feature in NEI's search bar, with a much simpler way to sort items by mods. Very simple, but very effective none the less. This should be a must-have for most modpacks now. Posted Image
Yep, exactly. NEI parses the tooltip to look for items, so you can now filter by just putting a piece of the mod name. That's not an exact science, since you might also get unwanted items. It is a good complement for @<modname>, easier to use, but more prone to false positives.

Eydamos
    Eydamos

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

Really awesome! I was waiting for this since I saw it on SeargeDP's Stream. Good work!
Follow me on Twitter: @Eydamos to get news about my backpack mod.

Raevox
    Raevox

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostVazkii, on 12 June 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

...It would be neat to look into an energy cell or whatever and see how powered it is... Posted Image

Are you referring to energy storage blocks, such as Redstone Energy Cells and MFSU's, that are already placed in the world? So that means, you want see the energy stored and such in the little box that pops up when you hover over blocks? If so, Waila might already work like that right out of the box.

If I am correct, Waila takes the tooltips of items/blocks, and displays them below the name of the item using NEI's highlight tips feature.

I know as a fact, that Redstone Energy Cells display basic information such as energy stored and redstone affinity in tooltips, so, Waila might actually work on it's own.
IC2 storage units, on the otherhand, do not display basic information in tooltips, which means you might need an add-on to display energy information for MFSU's and such.

Posted Image

ProfMobius

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostRaevox, on 12 June 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

Are you referring to energy storage blocks, such as Redstone Energy Cells and MFSU's, that are already placed in the world? So that means, you want see the energy stored and such in the little box that pops up when you hover over blocks? If so, Waila might already work like that right out of the box.

If I am correct, Waila takes the tooltips of items/blocks, and displays them below the name of the item using NEI's highlight tips feature.

I know as a fact, that Redstone Energy Cells display basic information such as energy stored and redstone affinity in tooltips, so, Waila might actually work on it's own.
IC2 storage units, on the otherhand, do not display basic information in tooltips, which means you might need an add-on to display energy information for MFSU's and such.

That's not exactly how it works. I just add the mod name to the NEI Inventory tooltips.
For the HUD, it is another kind of creeper all together. I actually get the content of the tileentity and gather the informations I want (capacity, amount and type for BC tanks for example). Anything the client knows, I can display.
Problems appear when the client is not synced all the time. On the video, we can see the content of the batbox at 0 EU. That's because IC2 update the client ONLY when you are looking at the GUI. So, this is going to be a hard one to display (but I'm looking for workarounds).

jagoly
    jagoly

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

This looks interesting indeed. I'll give it a shot later when I get home. How does it behave with items that already have complex tool tips, suchas Gregtech or MPS?

ProfMobius

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

View Postjagoly, on 12 June 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

This looks interesting indeed. I'll give it a shot later when I get home. How does it behave with items that already have complex tool tips, suchas Gregtech or MPS?
It adds itself at the bottom of the tooltip. I made sure it was the last entry, unless another mod with a first letter greater than W adds something to the tooltip ;)
I need to see with CB to change the tooltip API a bit.

Raevox
    Raevox

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostProfMobius, on 12 June 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

...Anything the client knows, I can display.
Problems appear when the client is not synced all the time. On the video, we can see the content of the batbox at 0 EU. That's because IC2 update the client ONLY when you are looking at the GUI...

Ah, I see how that could be an issue, well, good luck coming up with workarounds. I am sure your brilliance would come up with something good.

Also, not sure if you already explained this or not, but how exactly does Waila add the mod name to NEI tooltips again? Is it auto-detected using variables (set by the mod itself or you) or are they all simply added manually by you?

Posted Image

ProfMobius

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostRaevox, on 12 June 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Ah, I see how that could be an issue, well, good luck coming up with workarounds. I am sure your brilliance would come up with something good.

Also, not sure if you already explained this or not, but how exactly does Waila add the mod name to NEI tooltips again? Is it auto-detected using variables (set by the mod itself or you) or are they all simply added manually by you?
At first, it was added manually, using class names. Quite a crude way of doing it Posted Image
Later I found out that Forge provides methods to match an item id & mod id. From there, you can get the mod name as defined by the creator.
For the HUD, you can get an item stack out of a block you are looking at, and from there, identify the mod itself. Block <=> ItemStack conversion is done by NEI, and it is far from an exact science. You might spot some weird behavior from time to time. I'm still looking for better generic ways of doing that.

Raevox
    Raevox

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostProfMobius, on 12 June 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

At first, it was added manually, using class names. Quite a crude way of doing it Posted Image
Later I found out that Forge provides methods to match an item id & mod id. From there, you can get the mod name as defined by the creator.
For the HUD, you can get an item stack out of a block you are looking at, and from there, identify the mod itself. Block <=> ItemStack conversion is done by NEI, and it is far from an exact science. You might spot some weird behavior from time to time. I'm still looking for better generic ways of doing that.

Very neat, glad you were able to auto-identify items. I know I have been asking too many questions here, really appreciate you answering 'em. Thanks! Posted Image

Posted Image

AwesomEnder
  • Minecraft: AwesomEnder

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

I love this mod! I made a review, hope you enjoy, it would be awesome if you would put it in the original post but if not that's cool too, thanks for a great mod!

ProfMobius

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:24 AM

View PostAwesomEnder, on 13 June 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

I love this mod! I made a review, hope you enjoy, it would be awesome if you would put it in the original post but if not that's cool too, thanks for a great mod!
Of course I am adding it :)
You can't imagine the pleasure of having other people enjoy your work enough to actually take time to review it.
Many thanks for the spotlight !

AwesomEnder
  • Minecraft: AwesomEnder

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:40 AM

View PostProfMobius, on 13 June 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

Of course I am adding it Posted Image
You can't imagine the pleasure of having other people enjoy your work enough to actually take time to review it.
Many thanks for the spotlight !
No problem, great work!

Freyjadono
  • Minecraft: odininon

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Great work ProfMobius, I will be bugging you for an API :P
Posted Image
Do not let your eyes deceive you.

DraxisWuf
    DraxisWuf

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1030 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

Could you consider adding config options for display duration and distance-to-block pertaining to the in-world tooltips?  Also, it'd be nifty to include a delay config option, so you could set it to where you'd need to stare at a given block for a set number of milliseconds before the tooltip displays.