• Please log in to reply
1243 replies to this topic

Albædo
    Albædo

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Something I have wanted to see done with magic-based mods is the ability to transform yourself into a lich. To attain lichdom, one has to craft and imbue a special item (phylactery) with all their powers and life. Naturally, becoming an undead would come with disadvantages, and destruction of this phylactery would mean death (and loss of all spells imbued in them, perhaps having to relearn those lost.) The advantages, tho, would also have to be worth the risks.

The possibilities with this mod are indeed great, and I feel it could make great use of a class system, with several classes crossing. One could start out as a simple neophyte, following their own path and specializing in their own mix of spells/affinities, with a chosen class giving them more advantage over the related magic. Certain spells can only be uncovered, understood and used by certain classes, or perhaps even have different effects if used by another.

Examples of 2 purposed classes:
Pyromancer/fire mage has mastery over flames, and can manipulate them with more ease (lesser mana cost) and with more intensity.
Necromancers can enslave the undead, channel the unseen spirits to do their will and perhaps even defeat death itself.

Furthermore, each affinity can have 2 sides to their power: one that harms and one that aides. The life affinity gives spells the ability to heal, but it can also distort life to poison, wither and so on. Since it is life, it could possibly animate objects as well...

Like I said, the possibilities are very great. Hope these ideas can inspire new, better refined ones. Peace out :)

Register or log in to remove.

Solusphere

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

Just a very minor note, but regarding the affinity bonus for the Earth mage, it seems to me like an Earth mage would be the very last person on earth who would benefit from an increase in mining speed...

iamedzer
    iamedzer

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

When i destroy a block in like a tower it turns into a blue magical block what do i have to do to not get that anymore?

UberWaffe
  • Minecraft: UberWaffe

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

On the lesser point of the power / nexus system:

A 'fix' you could implement to the current system is making the fabricator duplicate items (customizable) instead of recipes (any it can calculate the essence value for).
I.e. The fabricator has a single slot that you place an item into. It will then find the essence value of that item in the config file. If it is explicitly defined, then you can fabricate it.

The config file would then have options for:
Maximum charge of fabricator.
Section for defining which items can be duplicated, and their respective essence cost.
Section for defining what items can be thrown into a blue nexus, and what essence values you get for each. (This section would be used with your current recipe calculation code to determine essence value for blue nexus unmaking. Ideally this section would still define all base items and costs as you do now.)

This way it becomes entirely configurable which items the user(s) can fabricate, and people can adjust the balance (cost and what is possible) to their own taste.

One person might only make cobble and runes creatable at average essence cost, while another makes all base resources creatable at high essence cost, while yet another makes blocks of diamond creatable at very low essence cost.
At least then it is their own choice.
People just can't stay away from me... but that is because I'm so fat I have my own gravitational field.
It's the flying cutlery that stresses me out.

IStoneI
    IStoneI

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1131 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

yes actually. if you really want to restart your mod, you could develop it together with thaumcraft 3 in azanors aspect system, and replace raw essence with vis, to make both mods really compatable with each other.

both mods could form one complex, while still being separate mods, that can stand on their own. where ars magica would basically do, what its doing now. adding a spellcasting and spell crafting system to minecraft, while thaumcraft currently focuses on magic devices and item crafting.

its one of those things thats REALLY annoying me about all the tech mods. all these modders are testing their builds on the same server, most of them even work together and do coding and modeling for each other. they build these amazing mods and even go out of their way, to make them compatible with each other.

yet, a lot of those mods use their own energy system, and everyone is basically reinventing the wheel. if you want to use industrial craft and buildcraft, you have to set up separate infrastructures with machines, that in a lot of cases do the same thing. why? if all these guys develop their mods together anyways, why dont they agree on a single energy system to have total compability across all the mods? why are there different versions of copper and aluminum, when they are compatible across the mods anyways? all of these mods could form different branches of a complex, and wouldnt need different versions of the same machines.

the same could be done for the big magic mods like thaumcraft and ars magica. if youre going to restart your mod anyways, this could be an interesting opportunity.

a good example of how this could work, is buildcraft and forestry for example. both mods stand on their own and can be played individually. but theyre compatable, since their machines are based on the same energy system.

one thing, that will definitely help, is that azanor is working on culling down his aspects to less than 10 for the 3.1 version of his mod. these basic aspects could coincide with the affinity system in your mod.

CaptPanda

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostIStoneI, on 01 June 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

yes actually. if you really want to restart your mod, you could develop it together with thaumcraft 3 in azanors aspect system, and replace raw essence with vis, to make both mods really compatable with each other.

both mods could form one complex, while still being separate mods, that can stand on their own. where ars magica would basically do, what its doing now. adding a spellcasting and spell crafting system to minecraft, while thaumcraft currently focuses on magic devices and item crafting.

its one of those things thats REALLY annoying me about all the tech mods. all these modders are testing their builds on the same server, most of them even work together and do coding and modeling for each other. they build these amazing mods and even go out of their way, to make them compatible with each other.

yet, a lot of those mods use their own energy system, and everyone is basically reinventing the wheel. if you want to use industrial craft and buildcraft, you have to set up separate infrastructures with machines, that in a lot of cases do the same thing. why? if all these guys develop their mods together anyways, why dont they agree on a single energy system to have total compability across all the mods? why are there different versions of copper and aluminum, when they are compatible across the mods anyways? all of these mods could form different branches of a complex, and wouldnt need different versions of the same machines.

the same could be done for the big magic mods like thaumcraft and ars magica. if youre going to restart your mod anyways, this could be an interesting opportunity.

a good example of how this could work, is buildcraft and forestry for example. both mods stand on their own and can be played individually. but theyre compatable, since their machines are based on the same energy system.

one thing, that will definitely help, is that azanor is working on culling down his aspects to less than 10 for the 3.1 version of his mod. these basic aspects could coincide with the affinity system in your mod.

Don't forget about the Universal electricity mods, they all have one form of energy. they also have railcraft working with it as well. I swear, if they add steam-powered essence generators...

But yeah, I think that Azanor and Mithion could work together to achieve great things, TC3 has mainly been artificing while AM was about spellcasting. It's just that both mods have some reliance on a really frustrating sense of luck. That's been the main downfall for these mods in my opinion, and I've found that sometimes it's just easier to rely on other mods like tinker's construct.

AllenWL
    AllenWL

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

i like this idea it's very nice and covers some of the ars magica things i thought wasn't a good as it could be

some of my ideas:
the affinity should have some negative affects and affects that are both good and bad.
for example earth affinity can make you slower and life could heal all mobs around you, meaning both allies and enemies get healed.
also you should be able to get multiple affinity to balance out the negatives (one affinity's positive negates another's negative)
so you can have both water and fire affinity, but having a water affinity would make getting a fire affinity harder.
affinity should also affect the damage of the spell and what kind of casting you can use (fire affinity one means only diminished fire spells, fire affinity twenty means diminished fire spells and normal fire spells)

spell components could be
Spell Shape=runes (different rune than the first mod harder to craft maybe?)
Spell Effects=essence (fire=fire damage/light fire etc)
Spell Modifiers=scrolls (found, mob drop, and/or crafted)
Spell Parchment= same as before, used to put spell on

tell me what you think!Posted Image
If Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter were all destroyed, 99% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 1% that would be laughing at them, copy this into your signature and hope it happens.
If you want to be nice to me, click this link and tell me what you think!----> http://www.minecraft.../#entry24068040

Posted Image

AllenWL
    AllenWL

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

View Postiamedzer, on 01 June 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

When i destroy a block in like a tower it turns into a blue magical block what do i have to do to not get that anymore?

find the tower protector (gold black purple thing) and destroy it
If Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter were all destroyed, 99% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 1% that would be laughing at them, copy this into your signature and hope it happens.
If you want to be nice to me, click this link and tell me what you think!----> http://www.minecraft.../#entry24068040

Posted Image

erindalcuthalion
  • Minecraft: erindalcuthalion

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

Two things I noticed after reading a couple pages:

1. Customizable golem type things would be cool. Probably would be worked into the spell customization system.

2. Make sure you can share spells with other players. Similar to like you can give other players spell recipes now.

So thats my suggestion.

Posted Image

CEO of Cuthalion, Inc.

Gamabunta00
  • Minecraft: Gamabunta00
  • Xbox:Gamabunta00

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

The casting to level sounds like your starting to confuse difficulty with tediousness. I like the skill tree idea, but i think it should be implemented in a way that you gain skill points for doing certian tasks (like achievments such as killing dark mages, or for the evil/dark side light mages maybe lol) i like the world gen a lot and i would hate to see it go as well. And i think the world gen could serve as a means of gaining levels, i dont know if its possible but it would be cool to have some sort of scaling of the buildings, so maybe the farther from spawn you get the more difficult structures would spawn. And maybe you would get more  points for defeating a dungeon the 1st time vs the same structure a 2nd or 3rd time, and maybe get nothing but loot and xp for the any after to avoid grinding. Though overall i am excited to see what you come up with!!! sounds like it will be awesome whatever you decide to do!!!
Without minecraft id have to go outside....its bright out there...does anyone have the dimmer switch for the sun?

tedyhere

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

Just my thoughts...but alot of lore in history refers to ley lines, would it be possible to simulate something like that in Ars Magica 2?  I don't know how difficult it would be with the way chunks are loaded and unloaded.

Basically it is held that the planet is criss crossed with a network of energy lines called ley lines, and where these lines intersect they form Nexus'.  The more ley lines converging the larger and more powerful the energy there.  This energy can be tapped into to create larger spells and sometimes are required for very large and powerful magic.

Also there are many types of spellcasting: verbal, gesticular, runic, symbolic, etc etc   would you be focusing on just the Gesticular or also delving into runes and symbols?

Just food for thought.
Posted Image

Bellaabzug21

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

Well, i think that the type of spells you discover should depend on the type of structure that you discover them in, for example if you're exploring the ocean you should discover a water spell,  a plains biome, an earth spell, the nether, a fire spell.  The tower spawning should also have a bit more diversity, meaning that there should be towers in the nether as well as the end. Not as much in the over world, but I think it'd be cool to have the archmage tower spawn a bit off of the end island. Which brings me to the next topic, the archmage tower. I feel that even though the rewards of finding one are massive, it's still a bit difficult to find. Which is why I think that the spawning radius should be lowered to 5000 as 10000 is quite a large area to explore. I don't want to sound like I'm lazy, so I'll put it in perspective. You've just discovered several towers and you've unlocked most of the useful spells, you've stocked up on potions to kill the archmage and so you've headed off. It has now taken you so long to find the tower that you've started to keep a journal of your journey.

Well, i think that the type of spells you discover should depend on the type of structure that you discover them in, for example if you're exploring the ocean you should discover a water spell,  a plains biome, an earth spell, the nether, a fire spell.  The tower spawning should also have a bit more diversity, meaning that there should be towers in the nether as well as the end. Not as much in the over world, but I think it'd be cool to have the archmage tower spawn a bit off of the end island. Which brings me to the next topic, the archmage tower. I feel that even though the rewards of finding one are massive, it's still a bit difficult to find. Which is why I think that the spawning radius should be lowered to 5000 as 10000 is quite a large area to explore. I don't want to sound like I'm lazy, so I'll put it in perspective. You've just discovered several towers and you've unlocked most of the useful spells, you've stocked up on potions to kill the archmage and so you've headed off. It has now taken you so long to find the tower that you've started to keep a journal of your journey.
Beta Tester for Ars Magica and creator of Soaryn's Ascended. Check it out! https://plus.google....155226270671480

warpspeed10

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Spell creation is by far my favorite part of this mod. Especially the requirement to have your friends stabilize the vortex for you. Anything you could do to make this aspect more fun and interesting would be a welcome improvement.

MusicallyInspired
  • Minecraft: MusiclyInspired

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Personally I believe the world gen and exploration is a huge part of what makes this mod so special. Without that I can't help but feel it would more or less be another Thaumcraft. If exploration currently limits your progression then maybe exploration should just be made more interesting and less restricting...somehow. I love the world gen, please don't remove it.
Posted Image

Zabadar
    Zabadar

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

I am currently trying to cook up ideas in my head to help you brainstorm ideas for your next iterations of Ars Magica, but for now I would rto recommend that strongly consider (should you decide to make an Ars Magica 2) doing what Soaryn did before the release of Xycraft: release a version very early in the development of your mod that has all the major, resource-related terrain generation features so that people who plan to carry the mod can be prepared for it.

charcharmunro

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

I'd like to expand a bit on my earlier pitch-in about different words used to makes spells, as in Treasure of the Rudras. This system, as it were, could quite easily be changed to require some large ritual with components (ink, probably) to create the spell. Additonally, it could be a bit more categorical than in Treasure of the Rudras, such that there might in fact just be prefixes, main words and suffixes. Prefixes could alter how the spell is cast, main words define the spell's effect and suffixes alter its power. You could probably start off the mod with maybe two or three basic words (fire, magic, life or something), but the others would have to be researched/found/learned/whatever the hell we're doing with it. That said, I do like the idea of perhaps combining two pre-existing words. This would result in a more expensive, perhaps unstable word that would have diminished attributes of both former words. Perhaps a drawback might be that you lose the two previous words? I'm not sure how this system could work, but I think it'd be a fun way to have a customisable spell system.

IStoneI
    IStoneI

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1131 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

View Posttedyhere, on 02 June 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

Just my thoughts...but alot of lore in history refers to ley lines, would it be possible to simulate something like that in Ars Magica 2?  I don't know how difficult it would be with the way chunks are loaded and unloaded.

Basically it is held that the planet is criss crossed with a network of energy lines called ley lines, and where these lines intersect they form Nexus'.  The more ley lines converging the larger and more powerful the energy there.  This energy can be tapped into to create larger spells and sometimes are required for very large and powerful magic.

Also there are many types of spellcasting: verbal, gesticular, runic, symbolic, etc etc   would you be focusing on just the Gesticular or also delving into runes and symbols?

Just food for thought.

thats basically thaumcraft aura nodes. another reason, why im in favour of basing both mods on the same resource and aspect system. the bigger the node, you have nearby your base, the more youre going to be able to cast spells and the more powerful spells you might be able to cast.

typical ars magica nexi could be constructed with vis capacitors as pillars, and crystal clusters, or even crystal cores (that would look awesome) as toppings. when forming the multiblock structure, the capacitors would combine to a connected model into the form of pillars.
the type of crystal cluster could create different nexi, that amplify spells according to affinity. for example 4 pure vis crystal clusters, could give you an arcane nexus. plus, it makes sense. nexi are multiblock structures, that can both store and create magical energy. the same, thing, that vis capacitors and crystal clusters do.

vis could fuel your spellcasting, while the core aspects (like i said, azanor is going to reduce them to about 8 in his 3.1 version of thaumcraft), could be worked into the affinity stystem.

thinking about the potential, how both mods could act as different branches of a greater complex, and how they could interact with each other, already blows my mind Posted Image

JPKarateKid

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

I think you should definitely add more to the alchemy aspect of the mod, maybe by having to go out and harvest materials to research and end up creating basic materials into a little more advanced one. (Such as turning 9 iron into gold, then the gold into diamonds, or other Ars Magica mod items. ect.)

Zabadar
    Zabadar

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

Here are a few suggestions I would like to offer for potential development should you chose to make an Ars Magica two. I hope they come in handy. Also note that I am at no point trying to condescend or tell you how to make you mod, I am just trying to explain how I myself envision an ideal sequel to your mod and making bad jokes along the way.

1. Meet the Progression System
Spoiler:

2. Mechanics for Town Fools

Spoiler:

3. Tiers for Affinities

Spoiler:

Anyway, thanks if you read through any of my ideas. I know it was all rather verbose or possibly muddled, but the possibilities of this mod are just very exciting and I couldn't help but throw some of the half-brewed ideas bubbling around in my head on the forum as quickly as possible. If you like any of the ideas let me know and I can always elaborate more, but for now I will leave it at this and hope that you find some to your liking. Thanks for the time and your open ear Mithion, and above all thanks for the wonderful mod! I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

IStoneI
    IStoneI

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1131 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

the life affinity perk sounds really strong by the way. while the other affinities seem to grant some utility, life would basically give you a permanent regeneration buff.

how about eating food would heal 1 to 2 hearts instead, additionally to filling the hunger bar? some food can be eaten, even with a full hunger bar, so eating food could be used for healing.

fire affinity could add the ability to toggle auto smelting on your tools, or fire damage on your weapons. sounds a little bit cooler and more useful than a bit of damage reduction. you can use enchanted armor for that.