• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Problem making a corral (mobs escape)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Alucardvincent

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

I am trying to make a corral, cows in this case, it is a square of wood fences 3 height, one wall of stone bricks, I access by a stair, it has a glass roof, I think there is no way to the cows to escape, however when I go to mine or do other thing, at least one of my cows is always out my my corral when I return to check, how come? Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Register or log in to remove.

barrygateaux

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

short answer - because they glitch out.

long answer - the fence post is like an air block. so if a cow is next to it when you leave the chunk it can come back on either side when you re-enter the chunk. it's really annoying (and worse on servers), but until they fix it, it's something that you just have to accept unfortunately.

Alucardvincent

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

I see the fences are the problem then, my corral will not look like a corral without fences but I can live with that, so I assume that doing wall and glass will do the work. Thank you.

OneWolfe
  • Minecraft: OneWolfe

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

I have found that barns are more effective for keeping animals in. However if you have a large number of animals is a small space they can push, or bump, each other into and through solid blocks. So I would suggest if you want to corral a large number of animals make the fenced in area much larger. :D

EPIC BUILDS AND MINECRAFT ADVENTURESPosted Image

Naravelle

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'm having that problem too. It annoyed me at first, but now I just cull the ones on the outside. D: Like everyone else said, the only solution right now seems to be to just make the area larger and hope they fix things soon.

ausador
    ausador

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1550 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Animals glitch thru "transparent" (in the game code, not necessarily visually transparent) blocks like fences and glass more frequently than they glitch thru opaque blocks. The problem with using opaque blocks is that the animals will glitch into the wall when pushed into a corner by another animal and take suffocation damage and die. Many people are complaining about the number of animals that die or "disappear" when confined in a pen made of opaque blocks.

This has always been an issue with the game but they had patched it to happen much less often until the 1.5 update came out and broke it again, now it is worse than ever. Build a corral of fences and put chickens inside, or pigs, you can stand there and watch them glitch right thru the sides of the pen. It isn't just them bunching up in the corners and being pushed thru by other animals anymore, or them ending up on the wrong side of the fence when the game loads. A lone pig or chicken will just walk straight thru the fence if it pushes at the same spot for more than a few seconds, cows and sheep being larger seem to have a harder time doing this.

What I have been doing since shortly after the 1.5.1 update came out is to build two block high stone walls for my pens and then put fences all the way around the inside up against the walls. This means that the animal has to glitch twice to get out of the pen, and when they bunch up in corners the animal trapped in the corner isn't pushed into the wall by the others to suffocate as easily.

It isn't foolproof but it cuts down on livestock escapes and losses to suffocation by something like 95%, it is about all you can do until Mojang fixes the game again. The only other thing I can suggest is to not overcrowd your animals, they are mostly content to wander around in the pen if they have enough room but when overcrowded will not stop trying to force their way out.

Oh...to get in and out of the stone wall and fence pen just place a trapdoor on the bottom half of a second level wall block above the fence, when flipped down you can jump onto it without the fence stopping you and then jump to the top of the wall.

Alucardvincent

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

So you are telling me that the problem is not only with fences but with all transparent blocks? That means I must be careful too with glass.

Also after reaidn ghtis I don’t know if it’s only the animals going out, I had to do tinmely reparations because once I saw a cow outside my corral and a CREEPER INSIDE, I assumed it spawned because few light, even when I had torches around the corral but thinking about it it maybe the same glitch, if the mobs can go out, can get in too?

barrygateaux

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

yeah, the creeper spawned in because of light levels .

on your other point, i've noticed mobs tend to push against blocks if they are trapped inside something, but if they are free to wander they don't. this is why a big pen works, and also why they don't try to get into pens from outside :)

krasimir

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

For some reason, I thought you are trying to make a coral REEF and the animals (microorganisms?) escape!

Cattle looks boring by comparison.
Posted Image
Join Riftforge's exclusive early signup! Minecrafters start with a 50,000 gold bonus!

Alucardvincent

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

View Postbarrygateaux, on 07 May 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

yeah, the creeper spawned in because of light levels .

Yup that’s what I thought, but there were few torches around, I added more but after reading this thread I have the doubt if it was the darkness that made the creeper spawn, or he got in in the same way the cows could get out :P

camdonius
  • Minecraft: camdonius

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

If no one has stated this yet, an easy fix without hurting it TOO much aesthetically is dig down a couple blocks, so as to keep the animals in a more or less hole. This might be not what you're looking for at all, or not a fix, but it's what I result in doing whenever my animals are phasing through fences. I think just digging down one blog works as well, not positive.
Posted Image<-ClickMe

Woodentable7
  • Minecraft: Demography

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

View Postcamdonius, on 07 May 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

If no one has stated this yet, an easy fix without hurting it TOO much aesthetically is dig down a couple blocks, so as to keep the animals in a more or less hole. This might be not what you're looking for at all, or not a fix, but it's what I result in doing whenever my animals are phasing through fences. I think just digging down one blog works as well, not positive.
I did this a few times and the animals suffocate.