Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[CTM] Ragecraft Series by heliceo [NEW map "Insomnia" released]

ctm

• Please log in to reply
1405 replies to this topic

Infinity8miner

Posted Yesterday, 06:09 PM

Thanks for answering my questions Heliceo. Now because of those answers, I'm curious about another thing. Do you have any previous experience with mapmaking before you made Ragecraft? Also because 3-12 hours is a very small amount of time for area's like yours, I've for an unknown reason summarized a variety of reasons that are probably the cause that you make area's so fast (again, dunno why I made this :P):
Spoiler:
Also while writing this another question popped into my head: how long did your beta testing stages go on for approximately and how much did you change in them?
Again, sorry for the questions, it's just that I naturally ask questions a lot :P.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

heliceo
    heliceo

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:02 PM

View PostInfinity8miner, on 20 April 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

Also while writing this another question popped into my head: how long did your beta testing stages go on for approximately and how much did you change in them?
Again, sorry for the questions, it's just that I naturally ask questions a lot Posted Image.
That's fine, don't worry about it.
To answer your two questions:
1. No, I did not have any mapmaking experience before RC1. And I disagree with you: 3 - 12 hours are NOT a "very small amount of time" for a single area, especially if you consider that there are 15 areas in RC2 (+ 3 intersections and the Nexus).
2. I think the closed beta phase of RC2 took about 3 - 4 weeks. I didn't change much after the beta, just a few small additions to areas and some balancing. RC1 did not have a beta phase, which is why it had some balance issues when it came out.
Posted Image

The Sketch
    The Sketch

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1071 posts
  • Minecraft: dasketchmaster

Posted Yesterday, 10:31 PM

View Postheliceo, on 20 April 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

1. No, I did not have any mapmaking experience before RC1. And I disagree with you: 3 - 12 hours are NOT a "very small amount of time" for a single area, especially if you consider that there are 15 areas in RC2 (+ 3 intersections and the Nexus).

Although it may not seem like it, I can assure you that compared to other CTM mapmakers 3-12 hours is pretty quick, especially considering the sheer scale of your areas.  To put it in perspective, the I5 areas in my own map (just the aesthetics) took over 20 hours each.

Take that as a compliment.  It just means you're a fast mapmaker, and that's definitely not a bad thing.  If the largest areas in your map take you 12 hours to make, that's seriously impressive.
Posted Image

(Signature made by SniperGoth!)

Quarkboy
    Quarkboy

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted Today, 01:53 AM

View Postheliceo, on 20 April 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

That sounds awesome ... and almost impossible Posted Image
I'm going to check it out for sure.
If I can beat the black wool area of inferno mines (eternal battle) under those conditions, I think I can beat your map as well.  IM was pretty "easy" up until the final area while your map will be difficult all the way, but I think protoss will fall to a battle of attrition, and getting to the arena will just be a matter of running away as efficiently as possible :).  I suspect the most difficult area in the map will in fact by Trinity Caverns, because those hidden TNT traps could easily trap me temporarily and also because the ghast spawners will be very annoying without being able to disable them easily.  (that might be a time I use the creeper bombs). Brimstone labs also worries me because I haven't figured out a good way to disable or avoid the potion dispensers yet.

Infinity8miner

Posted Today, 08:00 AM

View PostThe Sketch, on 20 April 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

Although it may not seem like it, I can assure you that compared to other CTM mapmakers 3-12 hours is pretty quick, especially considering the sheer scale of your areas.  To put it in perspective, the I5 areas in my own map (just the aesthetics) took over 20 hours each.

Take that as a compliment.  It just means you're a fast mapmaker, and that's definitely not a bad thing.  If the largest areas in your map take you 12 hours to make, that's seriously impressive.
I agree with Sketch. Don't deny it Heliceo, you have some great skill and talent.
Posted Image

heliceo
    heliceo

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted Today, 10:03 AM

View PostThe Sketch, on 20 April 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

View PostInfinity8miner, on 21 April 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

I agree with Sketch. Don't deny it Heliceo, you have some great skill and talent.
Well, thanks, but you guys should keep in mind that I was asked about the time I spent "not including thinking time", so perhaps that's where part of the discrepancy comes from. I never considered myself particularly fast, but maybe that's because I've never watched anyone else making a full CTM map.

View PostQuarkboy, on 21 April 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

If I can beat the black wool area of inferno mines (eternal battle) under those conditions, I think I can beat your map as well.  IM was pretty "easy" up until the final area while your map will be difficult all the way, but I think protoss will fall to a battle of attrition, and getting to the arena will just be a matter of running away as efficiently as possible Posted Image.  I suspect the most difficult area in the map will in fact by Trinity Caverns, because those hidden TNT traps could easily trap me temporarily and also because the ghast spawners will be very annoying without being able to disable them easily.  (that might be a time I use the creeper bombs). Brimstone labs also worries me because I haven't figured out a good way to disable or avoid the potion dispensers yet.
One word: Vertigo!
Posted Image