• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

5 Reasons why saddles NEED a crafting recipe!

saddles crafting recipe horses 1.6 update

• Please log in to reply
540 replies to this topic

Poll: 5 Reasons why saddles NEED a crafting recipe! (692 member(s) have cast votes)

Do YOU think saddles should be craftable? (Please read post before voting!)

1. Yes (450 votes [65.03%])

Percentage of vote: 65.03%

2. No (242 votes [34.97%])

Percentage of vote: 34.97%

Do YOU think horse armour should be craftable?

1. Yes (304 votes [68.93%])

Percentage of vote: 68.93%

2. No (137 votes [31.07%])

Percentage of vote: 31.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Mattuiop
    Mattuiop

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

POPULAR

The recent news of saddles having no crafting recipe and only being findable in dungeon chests and villages kind of ticks me off a bit. Apart from this, Mojang are doing a really good job on this update. But removing the crafting recipe you had in the first 1.6 snapshot was kind of disappointing considering saddles could have been used for both pigs and horses.
But here are 5 reasons why saddles need a crafting recipe. Some may disagree, but at least one reason would make a definite impact:

1. Large multiplayer "legitimate" survival servers will NOT benefit from the idea of saddles only being found in chests. When I say "legitimate", I'm meaning every player only having access to world's resources and NO access to server commands. That being in mind, imagine when these servers first update to 1.6. Everyone will scavenge for the saddles in the first "minecraft week" in the server. Newer players won't ever access to saddles because of this (unless the server gives it to them). Craftable saddles will also hugely benefit "legitimate" PvP servers!

2. It will physically be impossible to get saddles in a minecraft SP/MP world that doesn't generate natural structures. Also, plenty of current servers that haven't regenerated their worlds won't be able to find these saddle chests unless they go a kilometre away from anything they already set foot on before the update.

3. Jeb's reason for making saddles chest only is that "it shouldn't be accessible at the start of a survival world". They CAN make it a meta game item just by adding iron ingots (or another natural block that requires a pre-recurring method of obtaining it) to the crafting recipe. The old one already did that! If for example iron is added, it would typically take (from the start) at least one or two minecraft days to obtain access to iron ingots, and slaughter several cows to get leather. If Jeb is trying to make it less accessible in early game, why is he supplying them in every dungeon and village that could generate near the spawn point? Making craftable saddles with iron in the recipe WILL NOT make it an early game item. Chests around the world WILL.

4. There is already difficulty in taming horses. Horses are going to be rare as wolfs already. There isn't any need in making it more difficult by having chest-only saddles. Also, in order to tame horses, you need wheat. And wheat comes from crops that take ages to grow (unless you are near a village). And crops are made using a hoe, which nobody ever uses or needs in the first few nights.

5. Non-craftable saddles will not cater players in the later sages of the game. If players plan to find and breed a lot of different horses, they are going to have to find a lot of saddles. They will technically run out of saddles to find. And what happens if players are carrying saddles and/or riding horses and fall into lava? they lose everything and have to find another saddle in a completely different location. Yes, same already applies to diamond. But that doesn't mean saddles have to be just as rare. And even so, being on the back of a horse IS NOT an "end game" method of transport (unless you are planning on making them fly or shot lasers out of their mouths). Craftable saddles will only help mid-game players adapt and explore their environment a lot easier.

These are reasons why I dislike "world-chest-only" saddles and think that a simple crafting recipe (that includes iron) will only benefit minecraft to say the least.

Does anyone else agree?
Please vote and discuss! Posted Image

EDIT: In response to the feedback in this thread, I sort of respect everyone's opinion now. If it is "easy" to obtain iron in the first 10 to 20 minutes, replacing one piece of iron with a diamond or gold could make it a later game feature.

I have a strong opinion on these mainly because its a fairly simple item (compared to a lot of other things) that can't be crafted.

The use of horses should be a major feature especially in multiplayer since people tend to build far away from anyone else. Therefore, transport will be very handy in exploring servers.

Overall, if the 3 iron ingots were to be replaced with 3 gold ingots, would that be a suitable crafting recipe for the saddle?

EDIT: Wow, 9 pages of response! I didn't expect that! xD
Both sides of the argument are very valid. But a lot of my friends lost interest in this game mainly due to it being a lot easier for beginner players. (eg. Mine shafts being more common and losing the value of obtaining raw materials). To be honest, this game is called MINECRAFT. You MINE and you CRAFT. Not ADVENTURELOOT.

Here are a few optional solutions to make craftable saddles balanced:

1. Change the crafting recipe from iron and leather to gold and leather. It would make it more of an "end-game" item and give more of a usefulness to gold. OR add the new "lead" item to the crafting recipe (suggested by MichealIkruhara).

or

2. Add durability to saddles. Lets say around 20 uses/mounts. This would make the user rely on anvils or obtaining a lot of iron a leather than usual.

or

3. Suiting up a horse would come in two parts. A saddle and a horse mouthpiece/bit. This would require more crafting to keep it more of an effort based process.

Overall, think about what Terraria do right that Minecraft doesn't. It's mostly on the lines of a good progression system. Also, think about the mods that shadow minecraft (tekkit, shaders etc.).

Craftable saddles should really benefit the game whether it's an early game or late game item.

EDIT: Oh yeah, nether do I understand why horse armour is craftable. The same problem applies to that, but not as majorly...

View Postv1ct0rym0n5t3r, on 21 May 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

I just want to know Mattuiop do you still think that 3 iron and 3 leather is hard because otherwise. Pah.

Ok, I regret that quote. Maybe It would make sense if it had durability or only make up half of the equipment to ride it (eg horse mouthpieces). Gold would be a better alternative.

I originally thought that beginner players would take this as a hard task. Pro players like you and I would take less than a few minutes from scratch. You must remember that time when you first played minecraft and crafting even a bucket took some time. Because back in the days of 1.2 beta it was fairly long winded for me.

View PostxZooBLeZ, on 21 May 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

Dinnerbone is actually lurking all over the place.
That must mean he probably seen this thread. (since it as stayed at the top discussed snapshot/update thread for about a week now).

I can defiantly see that there are mixed views on this topic (since it is so conversational)

But I think that the overall view on this, as surveyed from over 200 members of the current minecraft community, that it would be a good idea to bring back the crafting recipe for saddles and horse armour (but along with a few new balancing aspects). This is mainly because of the community not wanting to find tonnes of the items and rather CRAFTING them. If it is done, I can understand that a quarter to a third of the community would agree with it. But at the end of the day, being on the back of a horse only encourages players to explore, but it is discouraging to find these underwhelmed items on foot.

EDIT: Here is another crafting system I like that was posted by Zahnradfee:

View PostZahnradfee, on 23 May 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

In the saddle recipe there should be string and slime balls included and also a hay bale or wool as stuffing.

1. You need string and glue and stuffing for making a saddle in reality
2. It would force you to hunt hostile mobs (or find a mineshaft for string) and build a wheat farm (or find a village) first

I suggest:
Posted Image

If that is too complicated (too many ingredients), I suggest these as alternatives:
Posted Image Posted Image

View Postavisioncame, on 25 May 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

OP, you forgot the most important reason - To give Leather more purpose in the game as a crafting recipe. I have to say though, the crafting recipes you have provided are ridiculous.

I personally don't see a reason to add a crafting recipe though on a whole. I mean, they are so EASY to find in dungeons. They are all over the place!

Fair enough, you have your point. Other recipes that were recommended in this thread were featuring in the main post by me. If you can think of a better recipe (or feature that balances it), please recommend it to me! Posted Image

View PostMzh3000, on 28 May 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

People want it easy.

IZI SADDELZ NNNAAAAOOOOOO!! OR I QUIT MINECRAWFTTT!!!!!!!!!!

You can get villagers on a world with structures turned off..  I did it without a village.  It involves a golden apple, a potion and zombies.

Then again, can you even get nether warts without structures on?  If you can't then I don't see why you would be so angry about saddles when you chose the game option that made potions impossible as well.

If the game becomes easy, people get bored quickly and just stop playing.  Even on easy there should be some challenge for people to turn to.

There is a lot of difficulty in getting saddles that way.
Chance in finding a villager zombie in a horde of zombies: 1/20
Chance in villager being a butcher: 1/6
Chance in butcher having a saddle: 1/40

So in a horde of 4000 zombies (240 zombie villagers), 1 of them will have a saddle.

View PostCJAFTER5, on 29 May 2013 - 12:31 AM, said:

Ok first off those recipes suck! Now that that's out of the way I'm gonna tell you my opinion.

I was butthurt over this change too, but the more i thought of it the more i realised that i dont mine anymore!
Us minecrafters, we have xp grinders, we have automatic farms, farms that give us free IRON and even GOLD!
Heck we even make own own charcoal from our tree farns if various types of wood!
Only time we dig is to get diamonds, and even for that we just branch dig, we dont explore...
The Mojang team knows this, and is giving us more reasons to go into caves, explore, EXPLORE THE NETHER (which is why they added quartz and now chests in the nether) and in a sense bring back the nostalgia of exploring caves.
Afterall, it's what the game is about!

You have a a fairly good point. But why does it have to be saddles? When i want to explore caves,  mines, and dungeons, I expect to find ancient relics that have special powers. Not something I could make in real life easily.

If Mojang want us to explore, they should introduce more secret cds in dungeons and some new artefacts to collect. Why not introduce a new super weapon that requires the player to find 9 rare items in order to craft it. That makes more sense than having to find a simple item that gives the player the incentive to explore. Craftable saddles will only help mid game players find these potential items.

What if early game players are travelling around the map on a horse. Would it be a problem? Craftable saddles will ENCOURAGE more players to explore.

Register or log in to remove.

Mattuiop
    Mattuiop

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Also, just made a poll for the question in hand!

GustavoGamerBr

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

I need an craft for the saddle and the horse armor

GustavoGamerBr

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

PUT THE HORSE SADDLE IN GAME.
THE PIG SADDLE ISNT THE HORSE SADDLE.

Mattuiop
    Mattuiop

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostGustavoGamerBr, on 04 May 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

PUT THE HORSE SADDLE IN GAME.
THE PIG SADDLE ISNT THE HORSE SADDLE.
indeed. But I would like it if they just made a saddle for both pigs and horses. I don't see how being on the back of an unstable pig or controllable horse is an "end game" feature.

But otherwise, I do agree with you!

Lumireaver
  • Minecraft: Lumireaver

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

The (saddle) recipe is an artifact of porting code from the Mo' Creatures mod. It was never an intended feature. If you're so set on crafting one early, just spawn in a village and reroll your village blacksmith until he sells them. Or find them in chests. You can find them in chests even with structures turned off if you go to the Nether and raid a Fortress for loot.
Rage of Bahamut referral code: uqp41204
Enter that and you'll score one hundred thousand rupees for us both, along with a spiffy card!

TourianTourist
  • Minecraft: TourianTourist

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

1) You can buy them always from villagers.
2) Again. You can buy them from villagers. Even with structures disabled you can generate new villages by curing Zombie villagers. It's a lot of work, but doable. And you only need to get ONE butcher villager. He can give you a unlimited supply of saddles. Enough for everyone on the server.
3) Iron and leather are really easy to get. You just need to find some cows and iron is basically everywhere. This whole argument is faulted... If it's so easy to get saddles from dungeons (and villages), then where is the problem? If you think that finding a dungeon is easier than finding cows and iron, then I don't get what your problem is...
4) The rarity of horses is entirely a different problem that needs to be adressed. I would make it so that they can spawn in old terrain, not just new. And again... wheat is very easy to get. How can you compare growing wheat to finding and looting a dungeon? That's ridiculous.
5) Again, only one butcher villager is enough to supply you with hundreds of saddles. Sell him meat from cows and pigs, use the emeralds to buy saddles. It's not hard. You can also sell wheat, wool and paper to other villagers to make some additional emeralds. So don't give me the "Emeralds are hard to get"-speech. They are not. I've got multiple stacks of emerald blocks in my Survival world... it's that easy.

I'm not against adding a crafting recipe, if people want it so badly. There is enough other rare stuff that Mojang can add to chests. But I don't think it's necessary. The trading really helps with the situation, people just need to look into it. And I think it adds a fine balance to the horse. So, I voted "no".

myNameisDBA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostTourianTourist, on 04 May 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

2) Again. You can buy them from villagers. Even with structures disabled you can generate new villages by curing Zombie villagers. It's a lot of work, but doable. And you only need to get ONE butcher villager. He can give you a unlimited supply of saddles. Enough for everyone on the server.
3) Iron and leather are really easy to get. You just need to find some cows and iron is basically everywhere. This whole argument is faulted... If it's so easy to get saddles from dungeons (and villages), then where is the problem? If you think that finding a dungeon is easier than finding cows and iron, then I don't get what your problem is...
4) The rarity of horses is entirely a different problem that needs to be adressed. I would make it so that they can spawn in old terrain, not just new. And again... wheat is very easy to get. How can you compare growing wheat to finding and looting a dungeon? That's ridiculous.
5) Again, only one butcher villager is enough to supply you with hundreds of saddles. Sell him meat from cows and pigs, use the emeralds to buy saddles. It's not hard. You can also sell wheat, wool and paper to other villagers to make some additional emeralds. So don't give me the "Emeralds are hard to get"-speech. They are not. I've got multiple stacks of emerald blocks in my Survival world... it's that easy.

I'm not against adding a crafting recipe, if people want it so badly. There is enough other rare stuff that Mojang can add to chests. But I don't think it's necessary. The trading really helps with the situation, people just need to look into it. And I think it adds a fine balance to the horse. So, I voted "no".

So much this. I seriously didn't realize that people thought saddles were ever rare until this whole thing started.

Just because you want to overlook the extremely easy method used to obtain them, doesn't mean that they're hard to get.

Mattuiop
    Mattuiop

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostTourianTourist, on 04 May 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

I sorta agree with the last bit. but disagree with half of the rest.

I just find it impractical and frustrating that Steve is able to create flouting structure, beacons with magical powers, enchantments, and portals to the nether, yet not be able to make a lump of leather and iron that can be put on the back of horses. If saddles shouldn't be craftable, why can't flint and steel be the same? that item is probably the most unbalanced thing in the entire game yet saddles should be different.

Dungeons should be for ancient artefacts and secret weapons. Not pieces of rotten bread and saddles.
It is a lot more difficult to find dungeons and villages than making it yourself. I just never see why it's a bad idea to be able to ride a horse after an hour for minecraft.

And going back to villages in multiplayer, there will always be griefed for greed of players. And even with the method of curing zombie villagers, it's unsatisfying and impractical.

In general, it's more satisfying to be able to create something rather than having to get it from somewhere else (especially with something as simple looking as a saddle).

This game after all is called "Minecraft". You "MINE" and you "CRAFT". Otherwise, this game would be called "loottrade".

LegoShokwave123
  • Location: Petting Schrodinger's cat while sitting on a tesseract.
  • Minecraft: LegoShokwave123

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostMattuiop, on 04 May 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

And even with the method of curing zombie villagers, it's unsatisfying and impractical. In general, it's more satisfying to be able to create something have to get it from somewhere else (especially with something as simple looking as a saddle).

Now you are just relying on your own opinion to prove a point. To some people it is more satisfying to cure Testificate Zombies and set up a village and get supplies that way. Also, some people actually enjoy the "have to get it from somewhere else" portion of the game. As such the "crafting it is more satisfying" portion of your argument is invalid.
<_<

TourianTourist
  • Minecraft: TourianTourist

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostMattuiop, on 04 May 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

I sorta agree with the last bit. but disagree with half of the rest.
I just find it impractical and frustrating that Steve is able to create flouting structure, beacons with magical powers, enchantments, and portals to the nether, yet not be able to make a lump of leather and iron that can be put on the back of horses.
Well, it's simply a gameplay balance. It doesn't have to make sense, it's not like punching a tree makes sense or anything. Beacons are hard to get because you need a Nether Star from a Wither. Leather and iron are not hard to get. Having non-craftable saddles (as it always has been btw) is simply a way of balancing things out. They could make it so that you would need something ridiculously rare to craft a saddle, but I like the chest + villager approach somewhat more.

If saddles shouldn't be craftable, why can't flint and steel be the same? that item is probably the most unbalanced thing in the entire game yet saddles should be different.
While I agree with the thought, flint and steel has durability and therefore runs out after a while. The idea with the saddle is that one player only needs one saddle. Jeb stated that there will be a way to remove saddles from horses (and maybe pigs) without killing them. So, one saddle would be enough for you. And it's very easy to find one, one way or another.

And going back to villages in multiplayer, there will always be griefed for greed of players
So? If griefing is a problem you should first and foremost be concerned about your horses. You don't need a saddle if your horses get killed anyway... xD And right now it's easier to revive a village than finding a new horse, it seems...

Mattuiop
    Mattuiop

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostLegoShokwave123, on 04 May 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Now you are just being illogical, relying on your own opinion to prove a point. To some people it is more satisfying to cure Testificate Zombies and set up a village and get supplies that way. Also, some people actually enjoy the "have to get it from somewhere else" portion of the game.

Fair enough. But I still don't see why it can't cater for people who'd like the "DIY" side of minecraft as well.

View PostEvent_Horizon, on 04 May 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Because it's a game. Not everything should be handed to you. In this case, an extremely easy crafting recipe.

it's easy, but not extremely easy since it's only enought for one saddle. and either way, why should being on the back of a horse be a "late game" feature?

Event_Horizon
  • Minecraft: warfighter67

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostMattuiop, on 04 May 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

it's easy, but not extremely easy since it's only enought for one saddle. and either way, why should being on the back of a horse be a "late game" feature?
Because horses are really fast, can jump high, and walk over 1-block differences in height without a problem.
Posted Image
Click the picture!

BodOwens
    BodOwens

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostMattuiop, on 04 May 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

It's faster than a Minecart and has less hassle (once tamed) than making multiple Nether Portals.
Hey guys, I have an idea! let's be negative and a total ass towards the game developers! that will make them listen to us!
Note the sarcasm.

Qvar
    Qvar

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Minecraft: Qvar

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostMattuiop, on 04 May 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

3. Jeb's reason for making saddles chest only is that "it shouldn't be accessible at the start of a survival world".They CAN make it a meta game item just by adding iron ingots (or another natural block that requires a pre-recurring method of obtaining it) to the crafting recipe. The old one already did that! If for example iron is added, it would typically take (from the start) at least one or two minecraft days to obtain access to iron ingots, and slaughter several cows to get leather. If Jeb is trying to make it less accessible in early game, why is he supplying them in every dungeon and village than could generate near the spawn point? Making craftable saddles with iron in the recipe WILL NOT make it an early game item. Chests around the world WILL.

2 days for iron...? Now I feel like a crazy psichopath for obtaining diamonds always on the first 20 minutes of gameplay...

I agree with the general idea of your post thou. Dunno. We will have to see how it develops.

user_2115487

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

I would rather it not be. Iron is plentiful to get, and although you can find it in chests all over the world, I've never found a dungeon within the first couple Minecraft days of a world (I've found villages, though). I'd rather have to find it in a chest on singleplayer, and buy it from a shop on multiplayer. If it were craftable, you'd be able to craft a saddle as soon as you found an above ground cave, which takes a few minutes at most.

There are more stars in the Milky Way galaxy than there are atoms in the universe

Unilegger
    Unilegger

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 5809 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostWoncler, on 04 May 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Noob. You just want things easier. Minecraft is too easy these days anyways.
You sound like you're great at countering arguments.

On topic:

Argument 1: I can see what you mean, but on some servers it's impossible to find ores as well. Keep in mind that you can also obtain saddles from villagers, or buy them at a server store in towny. it really depends on the server, so it isn't a stable argument. And they wouldn't be scavaging for saddles, because they would never find horses! Jeb said horses only spawn in 1.6 chunks. I server would have to reset completely to get horses!

Argument 2: It would also be completely impossible to go get a end portal or to get mob farms or netherwart. We obviously should make those craftable. To be honest, who would ever want to disable generated structures? I see why servers would, but you can still reach saddles by curing villagers. Once again, it's based on the server you play on, not everything is going to be fair in servers.

Argument 3: Unstable argument. Not everyone spawns directly near a dungeon, village, temple, or whatever. However, it's more likely to spawn near an open cave and some cows, plus trees. Iron is also more common than dirt. I could mine half a stack before nightfall.

Argument 4:Actually they're going to have the same rarity as wolves, they're not going to be harder. Wheat is not all that hard to get. Hoes are easy to craft, so you can just punch seeds from tall grass, right click the ground with the hoes, plant the seeds, spam the planet with bonemeal, and ya got your wheat. It's all about effeciency and readability. Technically farms are needs for survival. Animals don't always give a effecient food source and they themselves needs wheat, seeds, and carrots in order to be farmed.

Argument 5: Obtaining lots of saddles isn't that hard. You can buy them from villagers or get 0-4 of them from a single dungeon. I right now have a chest filled with 12 of them. Saddles are supposed to be rare because of what you can do with horses. You can give them colossal health, use them for quick get aways, and allow vertical traversing like you've never seen before.

Also please note that horses are purposefully eamnt to be hard to get. We never ran into this argument with pigs, why with horses? Sure, pigs are easier to ride and don't need taming, but horses don't need a carrot on a stick to control them. They're basically free rides with no effort.

Posted Image

Lumireaver
  • Minecraft: Lumireaver

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

I already threw down my opinion on craftable saddles way back there, (and I'm sticking to it) but for the sake of productive discussion, strictly hypothetically, what if you had to acquire a saddle in a dungeon in order to be able to craft it?

Or what if you had to decraft XX saddles in order to be able to "learn" the crafting recipe?

Crazy, I know. I don't particularly feel it's an ideal solution, but there's something to chew on. The biggest problem with this idea, I feel, is that it's not in line with the mechanics that are already in place, and accommodating it would most likely require a fair bit of work. Too much for just one item, most likely. At the same time, laying down the infrastructure for this kind of thing could prove to be very useful for modders latter on down the line. (Adding hooks for recipe learning, and so on. You'll get me if you get me, or you'll feel violently opposed to anything I'm saying if you're under twelve.) This could make it a worthwhile investment, but as I expressed earlier, it's too much of a sore thumb with regards to the rest of Minecraft's mechanics.

Another odd solution. What if crafting them cost experience? Game mode could determine prices or something. Other items could be brought in line with this mechanic fairly quickly as well. Balance issues could be tweaked with increased experience rates or whatever.
Rage of Bahamut referral code: uqp41204
Enter that and you'll score one hundred thousand rupees for us both, along with a spiffy card!

Mattuiop
    Mattuiop

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

In response to the feedback in this thread, I sort of respect everyone's opinion now. If it is "easy" to obtain iron in the first 10 to 20 minutes, replacing one piece of iron with a diamond or gold could make it a later game feature.

I have a strong opinion on these mainly because its a fairly simple item (compared to a lot of other things) that can't be crafted.

The use of horses should be a major feature especially in multiplayer since people tend to build far away from anyone else. Therefore, transport will be very handy in exploring servers.

Overall, if the 3 iron ingots were to be replaced with 3 gold ingots, would that be a suitable crafting recipe for the saddle?

coreracer15

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostMattuiop, on 04 May 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

The recent news of saddles having no crafting recipe and only being findable in dungeon chests and villages kind of p**ses me off a bit. Apart from this, Mojang are doing a really good job on this update. But removing the crafting recipe you had in the first 1.6 snapshot was kind of disappointing considering saddles could have been used for both pigs and horses.
But here are 5 reasons why saddles need a crafting recipe:

1. Large multiplayer "legitimate" survival servers will NOT benefit from the idea of saddles only being found in chests. When I say "legitimate", I'm meaning every player only having access to world's resources and NO access to server commands. That being in mind, imagine when these servers first update to 1.6. Everyone will scavenge for the saddles in the first "minecraft week" in the server. Newer players won't ever access to saddles because of this (unless the server gives it to them). Craftable saddles will also hugely benefit "legitimate" PvP servers!

2. It will physically be impossible to get saddles in a minecraft SP/MP world that doesn't generate natural structures. Also, plenty of current servers that haven't regenerated their worlds won't be able to find these saddle chests unless they go a kilometre away from anything they already set foot on before the update.

3. Jeb's reason for making saddles chest only is that "it shouldn't be accessible at the start of a survival world".They CAN make it a meta game item just by adding iron ingots (or another natural block that requires a pre-recurring method of obtaining it) to the crafting recipe. The old one already did that! If for example iron is added, it would typically take (from the start) at least one or two minecraft days to obtain access to iron ingots, and slaughter several cows to get leather. If Jeb is trying to make it less accessible in early game, why is he supplying them in every dungeon and village than could generate near the spawn point? Making craftable saddles with iron in the recipe WILL NOT make it an early game item. Chests around the world WILL.

4. There is already difficulty in taming horses. Horses are going to be rare as wolfs already. There isn't any need in making it more difficult by having chest-only saddles. Also, in order to tame horses, you need wheat. And wheat comes from crops that take ages to grow (unless you are near a village). And crops are made using a hoe, which nobody ever uses or needs in the first few nights.

5. Non-craftable saddles will not cater players in the later sages of the game. If players plan to find and breed a lot of different horses, they are going to have to find a lot of saddles. They will technically run out of saddles to find. And what happens if players are carrying saddles and/or riding horses and fall into lava? they lose everything and have to find another saddle in a completely different location. Yes, same already applies to diamond. But that doesn't mean saddles have to be just as rare. And even so, being on the back of a horse IS NOT an "end game" method of transport (unless you are planning on making them fly or shot lasers out of their mouths). Craftable saddles will only help mid-game players adapt and explore their environment a lot easier.

These are reasons why I dislike "world-chest-only" saddles and think that a simple crafting recipe (that includes iron) will only benefit minecraft to say the least.

Does anyone else agree?
Please vote and discuss! Posted Image

EDIT: In response to the feedback in this thread, I sort of respect everyone's opinion now. If it is "easy" to obtain iron in the first 10 to 20 minutes, replacing one piece of iron with a diamond or gold could make it a later game feature.

Here's one single reason why each of your points are null:
Saddles ARE renewable, through villager trades. They don't need to be craftable.