• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How to start a server with more RAM?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Subject59

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

I know to get more RAM, I have to start the .jar file with the a code that I can't remember right now. My question is how do I do that? I'm running on XP

Register or log in to remove.

chuckaknuckle

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

Edit the batch file that you launch the server with. Notepad works for that. Just edit the file, and you'll see two sets of numbers in it. Those numbers set memory, just have both of them set to the same value. Just be sure that you don't allocate more than your system can handle. Like if you have 4 GB of memory total, don't go and allocated more than maybe 2.0 to 2.5 GB.

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

I'm retired from this forum.

Subject59

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

When I open the jar file that I host my server with in notepad, all that comes up is an endless stream of numbers, letters, and symbols.

chuckaknuckle

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:35 AM

You need to edit the BATCH file, not the jar file.

chuckaknuckle

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:42 AM

Better yet, just follow this guide.

http://www.minecraft... ... p_a_server

Subject59

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:13 AM

Nothing in that guide makes sense. And what batch file? I can't find any batch file. Just that jar file and a bunch of other text files. I tried using a text edit, but it's not working the same. It' still gibberish and I can't change the text format.

chuckaknuckle

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:47 AM

Just download this.

http://www.mediafire...1z75c4hf4packdc

I made the server for you, so to speak. Just unzip the folder, and there you have it. If it doesn't run, then you need to set up the path variable, if you haven't already. There are instructions for that on the wiki page I gave.