• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Tenzor
    Tenzor

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

Hey guys, just making this post as a guide to help anybody who's having the problem I had earlier today. When I launched minecraft, I got an error that said "You need the Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0" In order to solve this problem. It seems like there are a few different solutions for different people, so this guide will attempt to cover all the bases. This guide is for Windows, and written specifically for Windows 7. However, I've tried to add links for information on how do to the same thing on other systems. Also, you've probably already tried a few things, but please don't skip any steps just because you've done them before. It'll be better for both of us. But mostly you. Posted Image

As much as I didn't really want to, I wrote up this guide. So, if it works for you, please just drop a note saying so! It'll help other people know that this is a good solution.

So, without further ado,
How To Fix the "Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0" Startup Error

Step 1: Uninstall All Copies of Java
  • Go to the Start Menu
  • Type "Add or remove programs" and select the matching result (Or, Control Panel -> Programs and Features)
  • Remove all versions of Java
Step 2: Save this link. Restart your computer. Yes, really.
  • Actually do this.
Step 3: Install the latest version of Java. (Version 7 update 21 as of 4/30/13)
  • Too lazy for Google?
  • This was tested with the 32 bit version, but if you're using a 64 bit browser, you will automatically get that. More info and other versions.
  • For now, just stick to the 32 bit version. You can get around to upgrading once you can actually launch minecraft.
Step 4: Delete or move your .minecraft folder
  • The folder is located in your appdata folder, which you can access by any of the following methods:
  • Start->Run->%appdata%
  • Win key + r -> %appdata%
  • Open a windows explorer window. Go to the address bar and type %appdata%, then hit enter
  • NOTE: The .minecraft folder has your world save files, screenshots, and more. You may want to back it up or move it to another location, which will work just as well.
  • Once you're done, delete your .minecraft folder (or move it somewhere else, like your desktop)
Step 5: Reinstall Minecraft
  • Download the minecraft.exe launcher and try it. It shouldn't work if you have the same problem, but for many people it will work at this point. So try it.
  • If that doesn't work, load up minecraft here: https://minecraft.net/play
  • You may need to allow Java. You need a Java plugin in your browser
  • If you have problems here, either your browser configuration is broken (try a different one), you've followed the steps wrong (start over), or you're experiencing a different issue
Step 6: Modify the Path
[Click here to do this on a different system and Windows 7]
  • We're going to change the Path variable on your computer. If you make a mistake here, you could cause more problems than you solve. It's not hard, so just follow directions closely.
  • Right click on Computer and press Properties
  • Determine if you have a 32 or 64 bit machine. It will say under the system heading. Remember this for a minute from now.
  • On the left menu, click Advanced System Settings
  • In the System Properties window, click the Advanced Tab
  • At the bottom, click the Environment Variables button
  • In the lower of the two boxes, scroll down to where the entry in which the left column reads "Path"
  • Select it, and click Edit below.
  • An edit window will come up.
  • IF YOU HAVE A 32 BIT MACHINE: To the end of the long string of text, add the following:
;C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin
  • IF YOU HAVE A 64 BIT MACHINE: To the end of the long string of text, add the following:
;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin
  • Do not add extra spaces. Do not forget the semicolon at the beginning.
  • Again, this assumes you're using 32 bit java. If not, follow the link above.
Step 7: Play Minecraft!
  • Hit OK until you've exited all those windows, and try running the Minecraft.exe again. It should work now!
  • If it works, please reply to this thread and let me know you were successful. It'll make me warm inside, but more importantly, help other people achieve your happiness right now!
  • If it doesn't, you either messed up somewhere of you've got a different problem. REad through the steps again and make sure you did them correctly. If so, create a new thread to try to get some help.
Hope this helps you get back to your wood punching!

Register or log in to remove.