• Please log in to reply
2516 replies to this topic

Mineshopper
  • Minecraft: Mineshopper

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

Description

This mod adds slopes and a custom variety of vanilla-inspired blocks to the game!  They may look like ordinary frames or wooden blocks in their base form, but they can actually be covered with nearly any block in the game.  The frame will inherit the cover block's texture and most of it's other properties including flammability, explosion resistance, and more.

In addition to covering the block with almost anything, you can also overlay any of the blocks with grass, snow, hay, web, mycelium or vine!  Still not convinced?  Craft the Carpenter's Chisel and carve elaborate designs into any of the blocks.  Custom patterns can easily be added.

What are you waiting for?  Picket fences, walls as high as you want and more await you!

Want lighted glowstone walls? No problem.

Need snow covered obsidian slopes? Piece of cake.

Want leaf covered stairs? Sure, why not!

Want to make redstone activated two-high gates?  Absolutely, it works great!

Want to make your own Luxor Hotel?  With the pyramid top and 44 other slope types, it's simple!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler:

Posted Image

Spoiler:

Posted Image

Spoiler:

Posted Image

Spoiler:

Posted Image

Spoiler:

Installation Instructions

This mod was designed for the Forge API.  avi12 has provided video installation instructions here.

CLIENT: The downloaded zip goes into your .minecraft/mods/ folder.

SERVER: The downloaded zip goes into the /mods folder.

Objects can be selectively disabled within the config file.

FAQ

Spoiler:

Add-Ons

Spoiler:

Bugs / Crash Reports / Suggestions

If your game crashes due to this mod, please post a crash log (in spoilers) and I will do my best to respond promptly.  Many hours have been poured into this mod to ensure it works relatively well, and without issues.  I would like to keep this mod as bug-free as possible, so your feedback is encouraged.

Mod Packs / Private Server Use

You're permitted to distribute this mod as part of a mod pack, whether for public or private use.  A link to this thread is all that is asked so users are able to understand how to use the mod.

Source Code

Source code for this mod can be found here.

Credits

I credit Kaevator for the original idea of sloped blocks.

Also, ShalimarMace is my designated tester and is responsible for the creation of many of the structures provided in the screenshots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Chitown03

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Downloading now. Seems like a simple but very useful mod for aesthetic purposes.

Edit: Very nice mod!

invisimage77

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

this looks cool, I'll do a mod spotlight once I get a new headset

Jhary
    Jhary

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • Minecraft: Jhary

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

I can just say one word .. WHOW !

This mod is perfect. It even works with block textures from other decorative mods like the chisel mod. Awesome Slopes man!

Keep this up, it is one of the best deco mods out there in my opinion. Simple and powerful

Posted Image

tj00110
    tj00110

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Absolutely an amazing mod! Super simple, yet amazing! The only thing I wish I could do, is cap off pyramids. Other than that, 5/5 period.
I have been playing Minecraft since beta came out, this game is great!

Mineshopper

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

View Posttj00110, on 29 April 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Absolutely an amazing mod! Super simple, yet amazing! The only thing I wish I could do, is cap off pyramids. Other than that, 5/5 period.

As a single slope option, I may add this in the future since it would be really easy... and you're not alone in wanting this type of slope.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Posted Image

iToxicVision

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

This looks really cool. Can I do a mod showcase for it? :)

ItsAllFruitcake

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'd love to showcase this mod too. :D
I play Minecraft.

c_death
    c_death

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Minecraft: C_Death

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Very awesome mod!  I've been trying to find a slopes mod ever since i saw kaveators slopes.  The slopes work well but there appears to be texture problems with some of them.

Normal slopes, the slope side is fine, but the triangle sides (depending on orientation) have skewed textures and it doesn't line up with the surrounding blocks.
Corner slopes have a similar problem on their showing face

The formations i used to get these errors are as follows:

S=slope B=block

viewed from above the slopes connect the top of the blocks to the surrounding ground blocks below

SSSS
SBBS
SBBS
SSSS

viewed from above the slopes in the middle make a diamond shape

BBBB
BSSB
BSSB
BBBB

Viewed from below to make a vaulted ceiling look

BBBBBB
BSSSSB
BS__SB
BS__SB
BSSSSB
BBBBBB
Hope this helps, should be a simple fix!

edit - also maybe it's just my eyes but sometimes the slopes appear to have different lighting level then the surrounding blocks
I'm also using optifine, just thought maybe it could be screwing with the textures
also just noticed that the lighting doesn't seem to be a problem with vanilla textures but I'm using John Smith technicians remix texture pack and the slopes coloration difference is very noticable

more edits - ok i found out the problem with lighting, it's optifine setting "custom colors" if it is on, it doesn't match the colors of the block that is used in the carpenter slope, it uses the color of the slope to base the color.  I guess there's no way to make the slope inherit the properties of the block cover?

Edited by c_death, 30 April 2013 - 04:34 PM.

Spoiler tags are your friends when posting errors.  USE THEM!  
[spoiler] stuff here [/spoiler]

Mineshopper

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postc_death, on 30 April 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Very awesome mod!  I've been trying to find a slopes mod ever since i saw kaveators slopes.  The slopes work well but there appears to be texture problems with some of them...

edit - also maybe it's just my eyes but sometimes the slopes appear to have different lighting level then the surrounding blocks
I'm also using optifine, just thought maybe it could be screwing with the textures
also just noticed that the lighting doesn't seem to be a problem with vanilla textures but I'm using John Smith technicians remix texture pack and the slopes coloration difference is very noticable

more edits - ok i found out the problem with lighting, it's optifine setting "custom colors" if it is on, it doesn't match the colors of the block that is used in the carpenter slope, it uses the color of the slope to base the color.  I guess there's no way to make the slope inherit the properties of the block cover?

Thanks for the bug reports.  I experience the same texture stretching issue on my laptop.  The only problem is, I have no clue why it does this.  The code works on my PC, but not my laptop, as if vertices are drawn in a different order (in only some cases).  I will dig a little deeper into it and see if I can find the cause.

For Optifine related things, if I knew how it determines the block color, I could add the method that it needs so I can return the cover properties instead of the slope properties.

On quick testing I found out my fast-lighting grass coloration is broken.  Frustrating, since it was working fine a few days ago.  Expect something updated in the days to come.

Posted Image

c_death
    c_death

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostMineshopper, on 30 April 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Thanks for the bug reports.  I experience the same texture stretching issue on my laptop.  The only problem is, I have no clue why it does this.  The code works on my PC, but not my laptop, as if vertices are drawn in a different order (in only some cases).  I will dig a little deeper into it and see if I can find the cause.

For Optifine related things, if I knew how it determines the block color, I could add the method that it needs so I can return the cover properties instead of the slope properties.

On quick testing I found out my fast-lighting grass coloration is broken.  Frustrating, since it was working fine a few days ago.  Expect something updated in the days to come.

Just a guess here based on observation with optifine:

It appears it uses biome information and block type to "color" the blocks different tones, for example:
if you look at sand on the beach, it's the normal coloration, but sand in a desert has a more orange color

For the texture problems, i will have the 2 others that play on my server tell me if they see the same thing as i do

edit - checked more biomes with optifine settings and it certainly seems biome based.  In a swampland the grass is almost brown purple in color, turn on the custom colors and the grass turns to a dark green.

yay for edit - just did a test, if i put a block of sand in the desert and a slope with sand on it, the slope is normal color and the sand is biome color.  If i do the same test out in the grasslands both look the same.

If i do this test with grass, it changes color properly on the slope even if i change biomes.  Hope this helps.

edit yet again - one more thing, is there some kind of restriction to the block types allowed in the slope?  I tried using some blocks from mods and they won't take

Edited by c_death, 30 April 2013 - 07:02 PM.

Mineshopper

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

View Postc_death, on 30 April 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

yay for edit - just did a test, if i put a block of sand in the desert and a slope with sand on it, the slope is normal color and the sand is biome color.  If i do the same test out in the grasslands both look the same.

edit yet again - one more thing, is there some kind of restriction to the block types allowed in the slope?  I tried using some blocks from mods and they won't take

I found the way to correct for custom coloring, but I can't fix it.  Optifine doesn't provide a way to access it's custom colorizer (unless I use some hacky method).

As for the blocks: as mentioned in the op, they aren't accepted as covers if there is any indication that they may not work correctly (tile entities, non-standard rendering).

Posted Image

Styxx42
    Styxx42

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Reading this I already One up't it.
Going to test it now.
Thanks for the work and the upload.
Styxx42

Akitori
    Akitori

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

It works with all blocks from the chisel mod :o

can you add in a pyramid top to the carpenters slope? It would make my pyramid look better :D

Mineshopper

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Hey guys,

I'm going to rewrite the render code so the textures don't stretch (seems related to certain graphics hardware and my implementation), and also so that it's more readable and easier to bugfix.  After that, I'll look into adding a top and bottom pyramid piece.

No ETA on the update (could be a while).  If you experience stretched textures, there's no fix for now.

Posted Image

PorpoiseBrock
  • Minecraft: Im_a_Porpoise
  • Xbox:BrocksGen

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:15 AM

Awesome mod! Had a great time playing with it. Made a mod spotlight, hope you don't mind!

Keep up the great work on this.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-pWMbrlERU"]]

You can subscrooble above.

Or not.

It's your choice, really.

Mineshopper

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for the spotlight - it's great.  I will post the spotlights in the OP at some point.  The stretchy texture issue is at the top of my list of bug fixing at the moment, and is a bit of an eyesore in the video I must admit (sorry).

Posted Image

c_death
    c_death

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostMineshopper, on 30 April 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

I found the way to correct for custom coloring, but I can't fix it.  Optifine doesn't provide a way to access it's custom colorizer (unless I use some hacky method).

As for the blocks: as mentioned in the op, they aren't accepted as covers if there is any indication that they may not work correctly (tile entities, non-standard rendering).

Oh well, at least the custom colors can be turned off in optifine to keep it looking consistent.  I've noticed that some other mods blocks also have this problem and didn't realize it was the optifine custom coloring until now.  (I also just noticed that custom colors are defined by the texture pack, so it might not even be optifine's fault but my texture pack)

I found a new problem with corners, if you place slopes on a wall, (instead of on the ground / ceiling like most applications) the corners don't connect at all.

I hope i'm not making too much work for you =)  After all this time searching for a slopes mod I want to stick with this one.  Keep up the great work!

Mineshopper

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:48 AM

View Postc_death, on 01 May 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

Oh well, at least the custom colors can be turned off in optifine to keep it looking consistent.  I've noticed that some other mods blocks also have this problem and didn't realize it was the optifine custom coloring until now.  (I also just noticed that custom colors are defined by the texture pack, so it might not even be optifine's fault but my texture pack)

I found a new problem with corners, if you place slopes on a wall, (instead of on the ground / ceiling like most applications) the corners don't connect at all.

I hope i'm not making too much work for you =)  After all this time searching for a slopes mod I want to stick with this one.  Keep up the great work!

I gave it a second thought, and I may be able to get the custom color in Optifine working.  It will still be "hacky," though.

I'm not sure what you mean by the slopes not connecting on walls... care to explain?

Posted Image

dr_rockso

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

only one problem, there isn't  a "mods" folder in my .minecraft folder