Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Posted Image

by Vroominator

What is Sorcery?

Documentation

Downloads

Special Thanks

Copyright Stuff

A large bug has been fixed in the NEI plugin. If you downloaded it previously, please download it again.

What is Sorcery?
Sorcery is a magic mod that adds a brand new spell system to Minecraft, along with lots of new items and blocks to play with and aid you in your quest to become a Master Sorcerer.
  • 47 Spells with new ones being added every update
  • Runestones and MP to cast spells with
  • Additions to the HUD to make spellcasting and swapping easy and quick
  • Wands, Spellbooks, Spell Tablets, Spell Pages and Staffs
  • 3 new metals, Silver, Netherrite, and Infernite
  • Multiple new machines to work with
  • A new liquid and barrels to store liquids in
  • New magical tools and armour
  • A new Item transport system
  • Inter-mod compatibility
  • NEI Integration

Documentation

Sorcery is still in development, and I have not yet finished documenting all of its features.Until I finish documenting features, I highly recommend that you use the NEI Plugin to view recipes.

You can find the unfinished Wiki here.

Installation
  • Install Minecraft Forge.
  • Drop the Sorcery Zip file into the /mods folder inside .minecraft. If /mods doesn't exist, create it.
  • Launch Minecraft.
  • Enjoy!
Installing the NEI Plugin
  • Install Minecraft Forge.
  • Grab CodeChickenCore and NotEnoughItems from ChickenBones' forum thread.
  • Drop both jar files into the /mods folder inside .minecraft. If /mods doesn't exist, create it.
  • Drop the Sorcery NEI Plugin Zip file into the /mods folder inside .minecraft. If /mods doesn't exist, create it.
  • Launch Minecraft.
  • Enjoy!

Alternatively, you might like to use MultiMC. With MultiMC, you can have multiple instances of the game, each with separate mods, and even separate versions of Minecraft, all the way back to the very beginning. MultiMC even has mod installation capabilities. You can download Forge from within the launcher without having to edit any jar files. You can download MultiMC from Forkk13's forum thread.

Getting started with Sorcery
If you're looking for a brief guide on getting started ingame with Sorcery, you should check this page on the wiki. It outlines almost everything from making your first forge to adding Spells to Spellbooks and casting spells.

Bugs
Sorcery is likely to have bugs, as it is still in Beta. If you find any bugs, please submit a reply to this thread in the following format.
Bug Report
Description:
Steps to Reproduce:

Textures
I realise that some of my textures may not be fantastic. I'm a programmer, not an artist, afterall. If you think you could redo any of my textures in a way that still fits the minecraft theme, please message me here on the Minecraft Forums. I'll be glad to take any help I can get, and you'll get a special thank-you in this post!

Videos
The guys at the Broken Pie Podcast made this awesome cinematic video using Sorcery!

Check out this review by MrGibbsPowerOn

TheAtlanticCraft checked out Sorcery and loved it

Lore
Magic, in the realm of Minecraftia, is a lost art. Thousands of years ago, when life in Minecraftia prospered, magic was used by almost everyone, and they did everything with it. They mined, they farmed, they built, and they fought using the power of magic, but many years have passed since the fall of the Testificate Empire. Now, only lone villages live on, and the use of magic is very limited. If you want to get in there and bring magic back to Minecraftia, you'll need to spend some time tinkering and creating. Magic cannot be brought back to the world with simple furnaces and crafting tables alone, instead, you'll need to put together some brand new machines to get the ball rolling. With your help, magic can return to Minecraftia.I will get around to writing more lore for this soon, as I have many ideas for it now. Stay tuned.

Screenshots
Wizard Hats!Posted Image
Spoiler:

Changelog
Beta 1.1
  • Some new Building blocks (Slime blocks, metal bricks)
  • A Brand new Node based item transport system that works off Vanilla hopper mechanics
  • Some new Mixer recipes
  • A new potion - Antidote - gets rid of most negative potion effects
  • A new potion effect - Frostbite
  • A new sword enchantment - Sub-Zero - applies the frostbite effect to enemies
  • Some new textures
  • A new Biome - Enchanted Forest - with new trees and mushrooms and cool stuff
  • A new mob - Unicows
  • A new element - Arcane - not currently used in any spells, but it will be used in the new Infuser coming in Beta 1.3 and the new Spell system
  • Some new textures
  • A change to the way the Forge works - it now has to heat up
  • Some awesome new render stuff
  • An overhaul to Sorcery's UI. It now looks decent.
  • LOTS of bug fixes
  • LOTS of behind the scenes work
  • A new command to set a player's Mojo and Maximum Mojo - /mojo
  • + More I forgot
Spoiler:

View the rest of the Changelog here.
Planned Features
  • Desks for proper manipulation of spellbooks and spell pages
  • A new batch of combat oriented spells
  • Broomsticks
  • Magic Armour
  • Better Unicorns (More like 1.6's horses)
  • A proper spell research system
  • Bug Fixes

Downloads

DO NOT download Sorcery from ANYWHERE other than this forum thread or the official wiki set up by me. Sites such as 9Minecraft rehost content, don't credit the mod creators, and add viruses to their downloads. Only download mods from the official source!

Beta 1.1 [adf.ly] [direct]

NEI Plugin [adf.ly] [direct]

Old Versions

A Sorcery API for other modders wanting to hook into any of Sorcery's machines or add new spells is coming soon.

Special Thanks
I would like to thank some people for their help throughout the course of this project.
  • J7017 - suggestions, testing, and breaking things
  • Cool37132 - suggestions, testing, wiki help, and breaking things
  • restlessEternity - suggestions
  • InsaneInTheBrain - suggestions
  • KamiXero - suggestions, textures
  • coolbob44 - hosting, testing, and suggestions
  • Pro-Mole - wiki help
  • Entrox Licher - wiki help

Copyright Stuff

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
0. USED TERMS
MOD - modification, plugin, a piece of software that interfaces with the Minecraft client to extend, add, change or remove original capabilities.
MOJANG - Mojang AB
OWNER - , Original author(s) of the MOD. Under the copyright terms accepted when purchasing Minecraft (http://www.minecraft.net/copyright.jsp) the OWNER has full rights over their MOD despite use of MOJANG code.
USER - End user of the mod, person installing the mod.

1. LIABILITY
THIS MOD IS PROVIDED 'AS IS' WITH NO WARRANTIES, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE. THE OWNER OF THIS MOD TAKES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES INCURRED FROM THE USE OF THIS MOD. THIS MOD ALTERS FUNDAMENTAL PARTS OF THE MINECRAFT GAME, PARTS OF MINECRAFT MAY NOT WORK WITH THIS MOD INSTALLED. ALL DAMAGES CAUSED FROM THE USE OR MISUSE OF THIS MOD FALL ON THE USER.

2. USE
Use of this MOD to be installed, manually or automatically, is given to the USER without restriction.

3. REDISTRIBUTION
This MOD may only be distributed where uploaded, mirrored, or otherwise linked to by the OWNER solely. All mirrors of this mod must have advance written permission from the OWNER. ANY attempts to make money off of this MOD (selling, selling modified versions, adfly, sharecash, etc.) are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN, and the OWNER may claim damages or take other action to rectify the situation.

4. DERIVATIVE WORKS/MODIFICATION
This mod is provided freely and may be decompiled and modified for private use, either with a decompiler or a bytecode editor. Public distribution of modified versions of this MOD require advance written permission of the OWNER and may be subject to certain terms.

Modpacks
If you are creating a modpack and wish to include Sorcery in it, you can, as long as you make sure to credit me and provide a link back to this thread. Please don't message me asking for permission.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

SMEZ1234
  • Minecraft: SMEZ1234

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Looks good at a glance, but then it'd have to be if it's made by another Aussie :P

Posted Image

Vroominator

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostSMEZ1234, on 25 April 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Looks good at a glance, but then it'd have to be if it's made by another Aussie Posted Image

Thanks! Maybe you should give it a go to confirm that :)
Posted Image

cool37132

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Ahh all those hours trying to break it finally played off and guys take it from me te a great mod and Aussies ftw
Posted Image

Desotar
    Desotar

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

Is there a way to only obtain the Staffs? I know this sounds stupid Posted Image But I would really appreciate having staffs for my RPG-Server, because there are simply no cool looking staffs added by other mods >.> I like your mod very much, but I use Ars magica and another magic mod would be an overkill. Anyway, very nicely done! And please... If it's not to much work for you can you add a seperate download with all the cool staffs added by your mod, maybe shooting one speel each wich deals 1-2 damage* as a manaless weapon for my mage classes? Would be really awesome (and very nice) if you would do this too!!! Anyway keep up that great work Posted Image

*Like a fire staff shooting one of those neat little fireballs of yours and a ice staff a cool little iceball. (I really like your particles and models) Posted Image

Vroominator

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostDesotar, on 25 April 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

~snip~

Interesting Idea. I'll consider it, but for now, I'm taking a little break. I've been working on this mod for months now, and for now I just want to let people play with it and see what it's all about.
Posted Image

Desotar
    Desotar

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostVroominator, on 26 April 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Interesting Idea. I'll consider it, but for now, I'm taking a little break. I've been working on this mod for months now, and for now I just want to let people play with it and see what it's all about.
Okay enjoy the break you really deserve it :) And thank you for considering of doing this thing with the staffs. My search for staffs would be finally come to an end :D

MrGibbsPowerOn

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

this is an amazing mod :)

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2529 posts
  • Minecraft: Vazkii

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

That puts my efforts towards making a magic themed mod to shame. Very good work, can't wait to see what other awesome stuff you're planning on adding.

On another note, since you are already making use of cogwheels. I made a cogwheel model a while ago, that ended up unused, you can have it if you want: http://techne.zeux.me/4304d85c

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

I make mods... Check out my website or Twitter. If you like my mods consider supporting me on Patreon.

Vroominator

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

View PostMrGibbsPowerOn, on 26 April 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

this is an amazing mod Posted Image
Thanks! Glad you like it!

View PostVazkii, on 26 April 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

~snip~
Wow, that looks great. I'm not sure what I'd use it for, but I'm sure I could find a good use for it. If I do make use of it, I'll be sure to give you credit. Thank you.
Posted Image

Sh4rp_Blade15
  • Minecraft: Sh4rp_Blade15
  • Xbox:Sh4rp Blade15

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

Looks amazing, and even comparable to those other amazing magic mods. I'm gonna test it, and I'm gonna like it! >:D
Hi. This is very hard to read, right?

YX33A
    YX33A

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 781 posts
  • Minecraft: YX33A

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

Say, is IC2 on your list of inter-mod(is it inter-mod or intra-mod when you have cross mod compatibility?)?  If so you've got a API issue with IC2 which prevents me from using this mod despite my desire to do so.
Otherwise something really weird is going on in this install of mine and it's messing up this mod.  Or space dragons.
(my money is on a API issue in this mod.  IC2 is going through nigh constant API changes with this minecraft update so if you haven't built it on IC2 3.0.4 then I'm likely going to have to suggest you either remove IC2 API usage for now since it seems you're only using it for the macerator, or at least that's the first game crashing api change seems to imply, or keep a firmer grip on the IC2 api changes and buckle your seatbelt as you're in for a bumpy ride it seems)

I hope that this is the only issue I encounter in my goal to install and profit from using this mod.
I'll take a look at ye wikk to see if you list a specific IC2 version to use.
"Minecraft is like an orgasm - even science can't describe it"
Posted Image    Posted Image

Cryptonat said:

Snitch said:

Basically you're stuck in hell till you find a portal out. There are alternatives to pig, by the way, as you probably know. :>
There are no alternatives to Bacon. Ever.

Vroominator

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostSh4rp_Blade15, on 27 April 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

Looks amazing, and even comparable to those other amazing magic mods. I'm gonna test it, and I'm gonna like it! >Posted Image
Thanks Posted Image

View PostYX33A, on 27 April 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

~snip~
Yes, I have used the IC2 API, although I haven't updated it in a little while. I'll check and see what sort of changes there are and try to get it working for 1.5.2.

EDIT: Hold up, I can't even find a build of IC2 for 1.5 yet. What version are you using?
Posted Image

YX33A
    YX33A

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 781 posts
  • Minecraft: YX33A

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

industrialcraft-2_1.115.304-lf is the file name.  You have to grab it off their jenkins to use it because the 1.5.1 release is still being built.

If you haven't used any IC2 api features in ages you really should ax that part of the code as it's just causing issues.(like the one I have!)

Again, my suggestion to remove IC2 support until a stable IC2 version for 1.5.1 or whatever is released would be optimal.  Not to mention you could use it as a opportunity to add Thermal Expansion support for ore doubling/tripling if you want.
"Minecraft is like an orgasm - even science can't describe it"
Posted Image    Posted Image

Cryptonat said:

Snitch said:

Basically you're stuck in hell till you find a portal out. There are alternatives to pig, by the way, as you probably know. :>
There are no alternatives to Bacon. Ever.

Vroominator

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

View PostYX33A, on 27 April 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

~snip~
I'll remove the IC2 Stuff until I have access to the newest version of the IC2 API. Until then, I have already added basic support for Thermal Expansion machines. Patch will be out soon.
Posted Image

cool37132

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

How are the New Unicorns going to work are they going to be like the new 1.6 Horses and if so will they be better in anyway?
Posted Image

Vroominator

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:04 AM

View Postcool37132, on 27 April 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

How are the New Unicorns going to work are they going to be like the new 1.6 Horses and if so will they be better in anyway?

I plan to make them very similar to 1.6 horses. They might be faster or have a higher jump height. Perhaps even a few other abilities too.
Posted Image

cool37132

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

What about something like when they are running and they hit a mob there is a chance they stab the mob with there horn?
Posted Image

Vroominator

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

View Postcool37132, on 27 April 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

What about something like when they are running and they hit a mob there is a chance they stab the mob with there horn?

Sure. Sounds good.
Posted Image

cool37132

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

I found a bug is there anywhere in particular we should post them?
Posted Image