• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How far does a mob have to fall, to die?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

I Die Too Much :(

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

So I was going to create a mob spawner, at the very top of minecraft's height. (Grass is a bitch to grow..)

So, I can't drop them too far down, in case they start spawning on the floor, instead,

How far do they have to drop to die?

(Couldn't find anything in the wiki.)
Creator of Heropine. ™

I report threads like nobodies business <3

Reports filed: 373                <3

Times sigged: 14

Register or log in to remove.

zohnnyz
    zohnnyz

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

23 blocks will kill anything, including the player.

Posted Image

awsomjosh said:

Have you ever seen thore palls off pollen boken up?

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

zohnnyz said:

That sounds good, then I'll be 2 blocks below that, so that I can just collect whatever falls,

Right?
Creator of Heropine. ™

SteeredBarbecue
  • Location: Clinging onto the ceiling above you, waiting for my moment to strike.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

23 blocks I think.
I don't think chickens take fall damage.

EpicGeodude said:

If Charlie Sheen owned Minecraft, redstone dust would be inhalable.

zohnnyz
    zohnnyz

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

[quote name="I Die Too Much ][quote name="zohnnyz"]23 blocks will kill anything, including the player.[/quote]

That sounds good, then I'll be 2 blocks below that, so that I can just collect whatever falls,

Right?[/quote]
You could also make a little bit of water at the bottom to move everything into a collection bin. Make sure its only one block thick, though, otherwise mobs will survive.

Posted Image

awsomjosh said:

Have you ever seen thore palls off pollen boken up?

GoodOldGamer

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

So go with 25 blocks drop, and have some cacti randomly spread about the bottom, to finish off any pesky chickens.  ;o)
My humble LPs can be found here.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

GoodOldGamer said:

So go with 25 blocks drop, and have some cacti randomly spread about the bottom, to finish off any pesky chickens.  ;o)

But that might kill the items.

@Zohnnyz,

TY.
Creator of Heropine. ™

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

[quote name="zohnnyz"][quote name="I Die Too Much ][quote name="zohnnyz"]23 blocks will kill anything, including the player.[/quote]

Right?[/quote]
You could also make a little bit of water at the bottom to move everything into a collection bin. Make sure its only one block thick, though, otherwise mobs will survive.[/quote]

You'll be surprised at how many mobs will survive falling into blocks with flowing water on top of them.  I recommend putting in a lava grinder to kill the few that do survive.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

Ughers
    Ughers

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

View Postzohnnyz, on 23 February 2011 - 07:54 PM, said:

You could also make a little bit of water at the bottom to move everything into a collection bin. Make sure its only one block thick, though, otherwise mobs will survive.
you could put the water 2 blocks away from the hole

BioShock_Rules
  • Minecraft: BioShock_Rules
  • PSN:juzwikallday

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Fall Damage is determined like this:
Number of Blocks fallen down = Damage -3
(Falling 4 Blocks = 1/2 heart of Damage)
Meaning a 23 Block fall is fatal to anything with 20 health (10 hearts)
What are you...?  WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!!?!?  I must warn you... my power level... IT'S OVAR 9,000!!!!
Posted Image

akirby80
    akirby80

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Minecraft: akirby80

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

People are trying to join this server and are ending up on mine because they dont use the port at the end of the IP adress... Have a nice day!

n8n8
    n8n8

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

View Postzohnnyz, on 23 February 2011 - 07:51 PM, said:

Actually it's a one hit kill and not if you have armor with feather falling.

Grave
    Grave

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Minecraft: Grave_Sorrow

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:46 AM

View Postn8n8, on 15 August 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Actually it's a one hit kill and not if you have armor with feather falling.

No, 23 blocks kills creepers, skeletons, zombies, and all spiders. Obviously featherfalling will reduce damage taken from falls.

Endermen are the exception but have fun making an overworld enderman farm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Angels and demons were circling above me through the thorns to the stars
The only one who doesn't know happiness is the one who couldn't understand its call.."

Puredarkness

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

If you want certain death to everything, 100 blocks. Nothing will protect anything against a fall that deep.

EDIT: Unless you are a chicken Posted Image
The Darkness will win one day, and light's time being the winner is nearing it's end. Because light is overrated.
People, the Modification Development section is for MODS, not Bukkit plugins. Do not be surpised if you don't get any help from there.
Spoiler: Random fact

db_minecraft

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

I built the classic mob spawner with a 2x2 shaft at the end of water trenches, but spiders seemed to survive by climbing down.   I TNT'd it :(

Emerald9Creeper

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

23 blocks is what is needed to kill the player.

Spoiler:

Copy and paste this into your signiture if you think the world needs improving.

Emeralds are awesome. And they are seriously underated.

Ahmedirq
    Ahmedirq

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Minecraft: Ahmedirq

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

23 blocks and that's it but with armor and feather falling maybe just 35 blocks as i guess

IronMagus

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

23 blocks should be fatal to players and other ten-heart mobs, but it isn't.  The formula for fall damage (in half-heart "points") is:

Damage = Fall Height - 3

So a fall of 23 blocks should do 23 - 3 = 20 points, or 10 hearts of damage.  But, for whatever as-yet unexplained reason, both 22 and 23 blocks leave us (and them) at half a heart, and twenty-four blocks are actually needed for the fall to be fatal.  Try it out, and see for yourself!

These days, zombies and skeletons can spawn wearing armor.  There is a chance for this armor to be enchanted, and if it has either Protection or Feather Falling, it will reduce the amount of damage they take from falling.  Theoretically, they can have the damage reduced as much as 80% in full enchanted gear, so instead of 20 points you may have to do 100 points of damage!  That leaves us with somewhere around 104 blocks (100 + 3, plus that extra 1 that's required for whatever reason, or maybe even ((20+1)*5)+3 = 108 blocks, if the 1 extra is applied before the damage reduction) required for an absolutely-positively-fatal-under-any-circumstances fall.

Also note that zombies have a small amount of natural armor points, and can never be one-hit killed with a bare fist.  Even at half a heart, it still takes two hits to kill them, but if you drop them an extra block they will die outright.  You'll either have to punch them twice, or use just about any tool (stone or iron swords work well, they last longer than wooden ones and are not too expensive -- in fact, both are fully renewable!)
Village Mechanics: A not-so-brief guide - Update for 1.4! Added subsection on iron farming to the iron golems section. Only ten villagers required to spawn golems (down from sixteen)! Put to rest the "facing doors cancel each other" myth!

View PostTechdolphin, on 30 September 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you say plz because it is shorter than please, I will say no because it is shorter than yes.