[1.7.2][Forge][SSP][SMP] MineChess

chess check checkmate harry potter

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

MineMaarten
  • Minecraft: minemaarten

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hello!

This is chess in Minecraft! And this chess isn't just the ordinary chess, this is MineChess! It's like the Harry Potter style of chess. The pieces live, and 'capturing' a piece is more violent than the capturing you're used to with chess.

This mod includes special moves like pawn promotion, castling and 'En Passant'. It also includes AI!
Posted Image

When you select a piece by right clicking it you can view the possible moves of this piece (can be disabled in the config) :
Posted Image

Video's / Mod Spotlights:
Spoiler:

Wiki & Getting started & Recipes

Download version 1.3.8 for Minecraft 1.7.2
For older versions click here.

Changelog

Future Plans:
Spoiler:

Special thanks to:
-Pate, for creating ChessMate, which I've used to create the AI (allowed by the copyright). His github can be found here.
-Pahimar, for being open source with Equivalent Exchange 3. He showed me how to do in world rendering (used in the possible piece movement viewer).
-Xander van den Arend, for modelling the pawn.
-DancingPeral for the Spanish translation.
-crafteverywhere for the Simplified Chinese translation.

Licence:
This document is Copyright (2013-2013) of minemaarten (hereafter referred to as "The Owner") and is the intellectual property of The Owner. Only Minecraftforum.net is able to host any of The Owner's material without the consent of The Owner. It may not be placed on any other web site or otherwise distributed publicly without advance written permission. (Electronic mail is acceptable as long as you wait for a response.)  

Source:
The source of the mod can be found on my GitHub.

I hope you like this mod. Please comment if you like, for suggestions, bug reports, whatever you want.

Minemaarten
For information about the mods I've developped, visit my website: www.minemaarten.com

Register or log in to remove.

YinTaiYang

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

Pretty cool.

Come on, just click that subscribe button! I promise ya, you won't regret it :)

YinTaiYang

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

made a video of the mod! hope you like it Posted Image

Come on, just click that subscribe button! I promise ya, you won't regret it :)

Bazillau

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

I like how the chess pieces look! Good job

MCforfreeuser
  • Minecraft: Miner_239

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

How nice!
Modest Texturer, Modeler, and Idea Provider. Can someone buy me Terraria, Borderlands 2, Goat Simulator, or Dead Island? Check my Profile for my contents, which includes a(n outdated) texture pack and a mod request!
OcD Simple Add-On!

Bazillau

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2GJu0pEPg"]]

buss1000
    buss1000

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Minecraft: buss1000

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hmmm got the idea from Direwolf20 I amuse? LOL

Posted Image

MineMaarten

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Cool comments, tnx!

@Bazillau: I found a bug by watching your video Posted Image. The King shouldn't be able to move to E4 at 4.08. White was able to take the King the next move with a pawn. The algorithm should prevent you from moving the King. But I think you already knew that was an invalid move, I'm certain, *uche uche* xD. Cool vid anyway.

@buss1000: Haha, kind of, although I already started the mod before Direwolf begun his MineCheckers build, to be honest Posted Image. (I really did, I would say if I didn't).
For information about the mods I've developped, visit my website: www.minemaarten.com

deadbuilder1
  • Minecraft: Deadbuilder

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Oh this is pretty unique. Nice job op.

Darthrafael
  • Minecraft: DarthRafael

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Cool mod, reminds me of the chesscraft mod, but this one has 3D models, awesome!

Posted Image

Dartron
    Dartron

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Minecraft: Dartron

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Excellent mod!
[youtube][/youtube]

MineMaarten

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the comments again!

I've released version 1.1.0. The biggest update is the SMP compatibility! woohoo!Posted Image Further updates are:

-Bugfix: Knights (visually) stuck in the ground upon chessboard generation.
-Bugfix: The King captures pieces that are covered (King moves itself in check).
-Added player oriented chessboard generation, along with a previewing renderer of the chessboard.
-Added a surrender option. shift right-clicking your King twice will let you surrender to the other color.

maxepix
    maxepix

Carpenter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Minecraft: maxbend

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

well its a cool mod and the textures but honestly I rather..... FRICKEN PLAY THIS! HECK YEAH, NOW I CAN BE HARRY POTER!

You must learn to meow before you can woof -Anonymous quote

MineMaarten

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hey,

I released version 1.2.0. This version adds world generated puzzles, with rewards and punishment. Other additions are found in the changelog. Screenshot of a puzzle that can be found:
Posted Image

Mr_boness
    Mr_boness

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • Minecraft: mr_boness

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

I love it! Genious.
Really gives a different perspective on Chess, it's obvious lots of effort has gon into it.
However, I crashed when i won a game, this is the only problem i have run into so far.
You should really check out the Runestones mod, it's amazing, and has my full support and attention. Who wouldn't want to shoot fireballs?

MineMaarten

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hey Mr_boness,

Thank for the compliments. About the crash, could you tell me more about the situation (was it when you'd won a normal chess game, or when you'd completed a puzzle), and could you post the crash report maybe (you can find crash reports in your ".minecraft/crash reports" folder)? Thanks in advance!

MineMaarten

Dimaxx
    Dimaxx

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Can you make dundgeons of these?

MineMaarten

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

You mean world generated chess boards? I just did that ;). Look three posts above yours.

AllenWL
    AllenWL

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

can you make it so in single player after you spawn a chessboard you can choose a color and fight the computer?
also if the prize for winning also damaged the loser (if he takes it) along with being repelled, it would be nice
If Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter were all destroyed, 99% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 1% that would be laughing at them, copy this into your signature and hope it happens.
If you want to be nice to me, click this link and tell me what you think!----> http://www.minecraft.../#entry24068040

Posted Image

MineMaarten

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

I already had an AI in the planning, and I kinda did start with this. However, I've come to the conclusion this is probably not feasible unfortunately. With normal Chess AI, it's totally not a problem if it takes a computer 20 seconds to move a piece. However, I think the server side of Minecraft will lag for these 20 seconds when this mod calculates a move in-game. This is a problem.

Maybe I later can focus on making an AI that's very easy to beat (and therefore move calculations can be done in split-second).