11 replies to this topic

Leuco23
    Leuco23

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

Hello!

I'm playing on a vanilla survival server, and made myself an underground pig farm.  I finally found carrots, and tried to breed my pair of pigs, but the babies seem to disappear after a while. I've made five or six piglets from the same parent pair.  I was near one of the piglets at one point, and while I didn't see it actually take damage, I did spot pork on the ground after, which makes me think that they die when they grow up?  I am unsure if this a is a bug... or is there some rule about how tall the enclosure for pigs must be?  It's 1 block high in some spaces, and 2-3 blocks in others.

My adult pair seems to have survived just fine thus far.

Thanks for the advice!

Register or log in to remove.

AndrewDaBauss

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

I have an open-air pig farm and it works fine.  I don't see why the babies would die if the adults were fine, but maybe when they grow they glitch up into the ceiling and suffocate.  Not sure.

jjlin98
    jjlin98

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • Minecraft: DumberThanAss
  • Xbox:Nicole Darrow

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Mabye someone's trolling you.
"I'm ugly and I'm proud!" ~ SpongeBob

De_Vision

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I hade the same problem with chickens and cows. I'm assuming the floor is stone? Try replacing it with dirt, it worked for me.

soepie7
    soepie7

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Maybe it's set in the server rules/plugins to prevent that there are to much mobs.

Kirby4ever

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Maybe someone found your house and killed you baby pigs.
Posted Image

BlackWaterisAwesome
  • Minecraft: darthrevanwoad
  • Xbox:DarthRevanWaod

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostAndrewDaBauss, on 06 April 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

I have an open-air pig farm and it works fine.  I don't see why the babies would die if the adults were fine, but maybe when they grow they glitch up into the ceiling and suffocate.  Not sure.
What this guy said.  Especially if the ceiling is low.
Posted Image

applepie321

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

hmmmm.........happend to me! i would make it a large area and a high area about a 10 blocks wide on each side and 4 blocks high!! :D

Anupam
    Anupam

Carpenter

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

It's because the surrounding blocks cause them to suffocate. Try making a 3-4block high enclosure surrounded by transparent blocks like glass leaves or fences, that way they don't separate.
Posted Image

AshenMask

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Baby pigs have one block height, adults have two. Sounds like your pigs are wandering under a one block ceiling, growing up, then suffocating. Making your roof  two high all round should fix it.

Leuco23
    Leuco23

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for all the advice!  I made the area much deeper, and it seems to have helped.  Thanks for all the advice!  I'd thought that adult pigs were only one block high, and thus that the 1-block wouldn't hurt.

I am pretty sure no one is killing the piglets - I have been the only one on when it's been happening, and it's a bit more of a friendly server than anything (my friends and I).

Minecraftian001

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Server lag I believe, when they group up, they sort of 'pop' into the block above them, and usually, fall, you were just unlucky and kept having them grow up in the spaces with no open air above them.
Posted Image

Count Forkula said:

I'm not CountForkula, I'm...eh...the..Tooth Fairy!

Best glitch ever.

Maksie99 said:

Trolls these days aren't even trying anymore...