• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How to Change Your Spawn Point in Alpha

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Aussiemon

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:05 AM

This is a thorough guide on how to change your spawn point (where you start upon map generation) using NBTEdit. It has been known by some for quite a while, but I can't find the first thread using search, and a lack of knowing how to do this persists in some places (notably Notch's blog). I also needed a place to direct people to.

This will permanently change the block you go to upon respawning.
"Proof" this works: http://dl.dropbox.co...1224/World2.zip

YOU WILL NEED:
NBTEdit (http://www.minecraft...php?f=25&t=7868
A world to work with
A computer

1. First walk to the location of your new spawn point, in-game. Be sure that you have at least one empty block above you, and a little room to breathe, just in case.

2. Second, open the NBTEdit program.

3. File -> Open your world's level.dat file. Don't panic if you don't know what this is! You can find it by going to:

For Windows 7 - C:\Users\YOUR USER ACCOUNT NAME HERE\Appdata\Roaming\.minecraft\Saves\YOUR WORLD NAME HERE

For Windows XP - -C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER ACCOUNT NAME HERE\Application Data\.minecraft\Saves\YOUR WORLD NAME HERE

In your world's folder is a file called "level.dat". It helps to make a shortcut to your Saves folder, and a lot of the people who actively use this forum will probably already have one.

4. Expand the "Data" tree by clicking the "+" sign next to it.

5. Note the three "Spawn" entries. These are the coordinates of your current spawn location.

Posted Image

6. Expand the "Player" tree, and the "Pos" tree inside of that by clicking the  "+" signs next to them.

7. These three numbers in the "Pos" tree are your current location. You want your spawn point to match these numbers.

Posted Image

8. In your head, subtract .5 from the top number, round to the nearest whole number, and paste it over the current number in "SpawnX" above.

9. In your head, subtract .5 from the middle number, round to the nearest whole number, and paste it over the current number in "SpawnY" above.

10. In your head, subtract .5 from the bottom number, round to the nearest whole number, and paste it over the current number in "SpawnZ" above.

You subtract .5, because you actually spawn half a block higher than your spawn values. You round to the nearest whole number because spawn values must be whole numbers.

11. File -> Save your level.dat

12. Enjoy! Test it out if you want, or see the results of the finished process in my "proof" above!

NOTE: This is not an exact science! It took a bit of trial and error to spawn in a precise block, and it is very possible that you could spawn one or two blocks away. Hence the "room to breathe" you need. If you spawn in some random place you've never seen before, try switching the SpawnX and SpawnZ values. I have seen the game mix them up before.

In addition, future updates may make this guide obsolete, or prevent it from working. Use at your own risk, and I would advise that you backup your level.dat and/or world first!

Sorry if some of my terminology is tough to understand, but it's much easier to do than it may look!

Sincerely,
        Aussiemon

Edit: Taodih has a guide on this I finally found, http://www.minecraft...hp?f=35&t=14739 His was written before mine, but seems to get a lot more technical. I suggest reading it too! :P

Register or log in to remove.

Shigan
    Shigan

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:13 AM

Thanks, I needed this. Now instead of walking for seven hours to my massive city, I just spawn inside of my house :iapprove:

Aussiemon

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

Glad to help :iapprove:

Draqo
    Draqo

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:18 AM

Thanks!
Now I will be able to continue on what I was doing, instead of using my day time on walking and killing  :iapprove:
Vigil - Minecraft Too Good to be True
play.vigil.dk

Bugfix
    Bugfix

Carpenter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Minecraft: Bugfix

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

Thats what i need! In my current game i digged a very deep hole and fall into it ._.
Now i continue playing! :D

501st_commander

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

can you use this to spawn from the original point? I got lost in my map...

taodih
    taodih

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

gonnna link this up soon , but smp and friends are waiting D8 (8D)

mysterioso2006

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

I don't seem to actually have any Level.dat files. Unless I typed in the wrong adress, which I don't think I did, I can't find it (with Windows 7)

Apt2B
    Apt2B

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:20 AM

followed directions to the T
did not work

Pogo
    Pogo

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

Just wanted to say that I love this "trick" although I found rounding the numbers upward an integer value usually works just as well.

Also, your original picture of the editor window shows the XYZ as being reversed. I think the author of the program fixed the display so the program right now actually does show XYZ in the correct order.

Gummyish

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

Pogo said:

Just wanted to say that I love this "trick" although I found rounding the numbers to an integer value usually works just as well.

Also, your original picture of the editor window shows the XYZ as being reversed. I think the author of the program fixed the display so the program right now actually does show XYZ in the correct order.

It's a hack btw
And it is very useful
Welcome to the forum :P

Posted Image

Have you got a bit of Notch in you?

Pogo
    Pogo

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

501st_commander said:

can you use this to spawn from the original point? I got lost in my map...

Well, you could just kill yourself... but if you don't want to lose your stuff, then sure, just change the numbers in the position directory to the SpawnXYZ numbers that you see in the upper directory.

Gummyish said:

It's a hack btw
True.

Welcome to the forum :P
Thanks!

patrickgh3

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:53 AM

I set my spawn point out in the open near my house! This worked perfectly! Thank you!
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

marcboss
    marcboss

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • Minecraft: marcboss84

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

You can use Loleditor OR NBTedit !
     (more easy to use)    (a bit harder)
Posted Image
Clicky??????? :)

Xero
    Xero

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:58 AM

Is changing your spawn point possible on OSX?

TacticsAndNiblics said:

You need to build an exact replica of Manhattan made of diamonds and when you're done then your diamond Manhattan disappears and in its crater is one lantern.

Daniel122P

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

Xero said:

Is changing your spawn point possible on OSX?

Use crossover I guess.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

kyle5507
    kyle5507

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

I just started Minecraft and i have a sweet house but its Far from spawn point. I cant fine AppData anywhere. I really need help cause when i die it takes me like 30 minutes to find it. Please help. :D  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:
IP: 108.171.206.35:25628

Shad
    Shad

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Minecraft: RadShad

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

Hey kyle download a program called MCEdit you can change your character loacttion and starting spawn point.

WIN
    WIN

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

kyle5507 said:

I just started Minecraft and i have a sweet house but its Far from spawn point. I cant fine AppData anywhere. I really need help cause when i die it takes me like 30 minutes to find it. Please help. :Sheep:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:
1. Start
2. Control panel
3. Folder options
4. View
5. Show hidden files and folders and blah blah, you get the idea
6. Ok

Should look like this:

Posted Image
Klart grabben ska ha en husvagn!

Jhartsock123

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:51 AM

Every time I save the level.dat using NBTedit when I reopen NBTedit to see if it worked, the values go back to default. I cannot change my spawn point because of this.