93 replies to this topic

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • Minecraft: enh20

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

I searched a little but it doesn't seem as if this topic got its own thread, so here it  is :D

**NOTE**:
This threads main purpose is to let 10.5(Leopard) users and older to be able to mod the game at all. You need this since apple won't let minecraft use the latest version of Java on older Macintoshes. And since pretty much all mods aren't compatible with older Java versions. Doing this you are forcing minecraft to use the latest version (1.6). But yes, There are also some install insrtuctions here but once again, they are not the main purpose of the thread.

**Also Note**
I do not take any kind of responsebillity for what happens to your game or your Macintosh PC in anyway. If you do everything correctly, nothing should happen. If it does, YOU did something wrong.

How to make Minecraft Modable
How to Install mods - Using pre-installed applications and no terminal

Install Mods in more ways
Using Terminal - No downloads
*** msmits71 Video on how to install***:

I know that at least 10.5 (Leopard) is having problems with mods (dunno about 10.6(Snow Leopard).
Anyway I've found the solution. So if you are trying to apply a mod on a 10.5 machine but MC won't launch properly read this:

1:
Go to the apple menu (the apple in the upper left corner) and choose software update. It will take a while but after a few minutes you will see a list of available updates. If there is anything Java related there update. If not you already got the update and can proceed to the next step.

2: Right click your MC app and choose "Show package Content". Now open Contents and then "info.plist". Now look up the line that says:
JVMVersion
1.5+
There will be some more text around but that's not important.
Now change the "1.5+" to "1.6+"     (there are no " ")
Save and close the file.

3. Open your "hard drive folder" which is usually called Macintosh HD. Then open:
System > Library > Frameworks > JavaVM.framework > Resources > Mac OS. In here you will find a file called "JavaApplicationStub”. Copy it. Now go back to resources inside the MC app and open Mac OS and paste the file in there.

4. Go to your applications folder. Then find the folder called "Utilities" then open JavaPreferences (it's kinda in the middle). Under the General tab there will be a list. There should be a line called "Java SE 6". If it isn't at the top drag it there.

Now close JavaPreferences, install the mods you want and open minecraft. It should launch correctly now :)

If you don't even know how to install mods read this:

What isn't underlined isn't necessary to read to install a mod but can be useful.

Since you will be messing around with the "system files you must back both saves and the bin up. Do this by going to the "your name folder" then Library then Application support then minecraft. Copy both the bin and the saves folder and save them in  a safe place.

A mod is pretty much a couple of .class files. To install a mod you need to get those .class files into the minecraft.jar file located in: Your name > Library > Application Support > Minecraft > bin.

Your minecraft folder can be located in Home(your name)>Library>Application Support>Minecraft.

Here is how you easily install mods without any downloads or using terminal.
First, change the name of the minecraft.jar to minecraft.zip, then unzip it.
Add the mod files (mostly .class but somtimes folders and pictures) in the folder you get.
Mark all files in that folder (not the folder itself but the contents), right.click and choose "Compress files".
You will get a Archive.zip file. Change the name of that ZIP file into minecraft.jar. Now move that .jar file into the bin folder and replace the old one.

Once again, REMEMBER TO BACK UP ALL FILES YOU TOUCH.
But if you were to mess-up something in you Bin folder and don't have a backup, just delete the whole folder and launch the game. I will automaticly download the latest version (you will get a fresh bin folder).

Other ways of installing Mods (mac):

Terminal - Use terminal and finder to install your mods. No downloads required.

**NOTE**
Apparently these commands will delete the contents of your desktop if you use them twice, so be careful. The best way to install mods without any downloads (Pretty much always the best) is the method used above. It's easy and fool-proof.
Open terminal and run this command:
cd ~
mkdir mcjar
cd mcjar
jar xf ~/Library/Application\ Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar

Now go into the new folder in your Home folder and look up the META-INF (for newer users this might not be there, but if) and open it and delete the two files with MOJANG in there names.
Then put the mod files you want in the folder (mcjar, not META-INF).

Now type in this command in terminal:
jar uf ~/Library/Application\ Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar ./
cd ..
rm -rf mcjar

Do not close termianl between the commands. If you do run this command before the second one:
cd ~/mcjar
Get SugarSync  here! - 5 GBs of online storage for free. Twice as much as Dropbox!

Register or log in to remove.

invis45
    invis45

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Minecraft: invis45

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:52 PM

THIS MADE ME LOOSE ALL OF THE FILES ON MY DESKTOP HELP
Posted Image

4x4'ing: Its worse than a drug, its a Jeep thing. (I made the banner. Pm me if you want one like this)

Pronata
    Pronata

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

I use, it does most mods for me very easily. A few Mods take a fraction more work than that.
Posted Image

invis45
    invis45

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:32 AM

i accidentally did this code twice
cd ..
rm -rf mcjarfile
i lost all of my desktop so help please
Posted Image

4x4'ing: Its worse than a drug, its a Jeep thing. (I made the banner. Pm me if you want one like this)

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:25 AM

invis45 said:

cd ..
rm -rf mcjarfile
Did you only loose the files on your desk? (Some people call their HD for desktop). If so try the first command. I would extract everything from the jar file. By typing that cmd two times you might have moved your desktop in there and then deleted it. So when you've run the first cmd again go to home (your name folder) and open the folder called mcjarfile. In there among the class files the files of you desktop might still exist.
Please tell me how it turns out :P
Get SugarSync  here! - 5 GBs of online storage for free. Twice as much as Dropbox!

invis45
    invis45

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

EFTH said:

invis45 said:

cd ..
rm -rf mcjarfile
Did you only loose the files on your desk? (Some people call their HD for desktop). If so try the first command. I would extract everything from the jar file. By typing that cmd two times you might have moved your desktop in there and then deleted it. So when you've run the first cmd again go to home (your name folder) and open the folder called mcjarfile. In there among the class files the files of you desktop might still exist.
Please tell me how it turns out :cobblestone:

no mot my macintosh HD
i lost all of my desktop files

and i affraid i might loose my desktop again

EDIT: didnt help files are not in there
Posted Image

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:21 PM

I really have no idea why it happened when you typed it a second time. So yeah... be careful :)

sronao
    sronao

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:49 AM

Minecraft won't startup for me, and also i have a question.
I've looked everywhere for my Mac OS folder in my MC folders and i can't seem to find it, so i have no idea where to place my JavaApplicationStub. Plz help!

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

sronao said:

Minecraft won't startup for me, and also i have a question.
I've looked everywhere for my Mac OS folder in my MC folders and i can't seem to find it, so i have no idea where to place my JavaApplicationStub. Plz help!

When you say MC folder you mean the folder you get by right clicking on the MC application and show package contents right?

When you're in there open the folder called contents and in there it should a folder called Mac OS where you can paste it.

Did this help you?

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

Pronata said:

I use, it does most mods for me very easily. A few Mods take a fraction more work than that.
I know but this is a simple basic tutorial. The main Idea was the first part that makes the game "modable" and then I just wrote how to install as well.

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

:P

relith
    relith

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

i am pretty sure you dont need to do this to be able to mod minecraft on a mac.
see my tut here and just apply your own files.

http://www.minecraft...p?f=25&t=202371

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

relith said:

i am pretty sure you dont need to do this to be able to mod minecraft on a mac.
see my tut here and just apply your own files.

http://www.minecraft...p?f=25&t=202371

I'm not sure why but some Macs (possibly the older ones) got a different version of Java, and with that version mods won't work (maybe cuz mods are made in the normal version(maybe).

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:45 AM

:(

invis45
    invis45

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:01 AM

EFTH said:

:P
WHY DO YOU KEEP BUMPING YOR THREAD
Posted Image

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:50 AM

invis45 said:

EFTH said:

:(
I THINK YOU KNOW (?)|

invis45
    invis45

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

EFTH said:

invis45 said:

EFTH said:

:Diamond:
I THINK YOU KNOW (?)|
i realy dont  ::  ::
Posted Image

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

I've forgot what we were talking about

Flamespike
    Flamespike

404: Member Not Found

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

My java prefs don't have a version Java ver6, just "J2SE 5"

Posted Image

EFTH
    EFTH

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

Flamespike said:

My java prefs don't have a version Java ver6, just "J2SE 5"

Did you check the software update. If there is anything with the word java in it that you haven't updated to yet do that. If no, I'm not sure what the problem is...