- Support for Java 5 and PowerPC users will be dropped. (If you still use PowerPC or Java 5, there will be a warning on the menu.
- Launcher updates: New password storing system, Increases performance, Allows LWJGL to be updated, fixing many launcher bugs, Supports Multiple Versions, Self Updatable, More user friendly.
- New mobs : Horses, Donkeys
- A major step toward the Plugin API.
- Regional difficulty: The longer you spend in one area, the harder it gets.
- Day/Night Cycles Update: There will be seasons in the game. During the winter season, there will be shorter day/night cycles.
- New blocks: Hay Bales, carpets, Block of Coal, Hardened Clay
- Horse updates: Horse Armor, Horse Saddle (will be deleted later, the same saddles [the one in the dungeons] will be used for both pigs and horses), Baby Horses (can be grown with apple, golden apple and wheat), Has various amount of health, Ridable movement controls (hold spacebar to increase jumping speed, release it to jump. Use movement keys to steer. Maximum jump height and movement speed differ between horses), Can be bred using wheat, drops leather when killed. Adjustments to horses makes them more practical later in the game
- Donkey updates: Like horses, they can be rided, only, they can carry a chest on their back, meaning they are like Minecart with Chests
- Riding mounts Update: You can only now dismount using sneak key (LSHIFT)
- Respiration Improvement: Now helps see underwater!
- Mob Difficulty: Regional Difficulty (mentioned above) and Scales with Difficulty
- New items: Leashes (Now you can tie mobs in the fences! [note: bats and villagers are not included with leashes and mobs that despawn, still despawn in the leashes].), Name Tags
- Creative Mode Updates: Added extra tooltip info in the search tab of the creative inventory, which shows that which the block or item where that item belongs to (category)
- Mob Updates: Zombies now have a chance to spawn additional zombies
- Comparators: Now gives out a signal on Cauldrons and End Portal Blocks
- Biome Updates: Deserts no longer spawn water lakes (although they can be found in the edge of the desert)
- Nether Updates: Nether Fortress finally spawn chest
(NOTE: This is only an estimated release date, only the exact date is unknown)
Mojang finally released snapshots for 1.6, this is the list of snapshots:
13w16a - April 18, 2013
13w16b - April 23, 2013
13w17a - April 25, 2013
13w18a - May 2, 2013
13w18b - May 2, 2013
13w18c - May 4, 2013