• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How can I switch off a hopper above a dropper without also powering the dropper?

dropper hopper

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Malacodor
    Malacodor

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1022 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

Droppers are receiving power from above, just like pistons. I don't need another BUD, I need a working dropper. Any suggestions other than waiting forever for it to be fixed?

Register or log in to remove.

RamblinWreckGT

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

Power the hopper through a block directly at its side, rather than having the redstone dust or repeater directly powering the hopper.

Malacodor
    Malacodor

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1022 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Doesn't help.

RamblinWreckGT

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

View PostMalacodor, on 27 March 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

Doesn't help.

Yes, actually, it does.

Posted Image

There are 64 arrows in the top hopper. With that lever on, none of them leave the hopper because the hopper below it, the one in the middle, is powered. I then turn the lever off and allow all 64 arrows to filter down into the dispenser. Once they're all in there, I turn the lever back on and the dispenser does not fire an arrow because it does not receive any power from the lever. The hopper above it is powered, but it is not.

PopuliMinistrum

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

View PostRamblinWreckGT, on 27 March 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

Yes, actually, it does.

Posted Image

There are 64 arrows in the top hopper. With that lever on, none of them leave the hopper because the hopper below it, the one in the middle, is powered. I then turn the lever off and allow all 64 arrows to filter down into the dispenser. Once they're all in there, I turn the lever back on and the dispenser does not fire an arrow because it does not receive any power from the lever. The hopper above it is powered, but it is not.

He said the problem he was having was with Droppers, not Dispensers. But I tried it with a Dropper and the idea stated above does in fact help with the problem.
The problem with the truth, is that it never lies.

RamblinWreckGT

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostMinisterofOrigin, on 27 March 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

He said the problem he was having was with Droppers, not Dispensers. But I tried it with a Dropper and the idea stated above does in fact help with the problem.

I know he said droppers; droppers and dispensers behave exactly the same except for the way they deploy the items. I picked a dispenser because the arrow-firing sound + the click from it receiving power is louder than just the click a dropper would have had and I wanted to be 100% sure nothing got fired.

Malacodor
    Malacodor

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1022 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostRamblinWreckGT, on 27 March 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

Once they're all in there, I turn the lever back on and the dispenser does not fire an arrow because it does not receive any power from the lever. The hopper above it is powered, but it is not.
That's exactly my problem, the dropper doesn't do anything. Try shooting arrows while the lever is on. Your dispenser does nothing because it's a BUD. Put a blocks next to it and it will shoot.

RamblinWreckGT

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

View PostMalacodor, on 27 March 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

That's exactly my problem, the dropper doesn't do anything. Try shooting arrows while the lever is on. Your dispenser does nothing because it's a BUD. Put a blocks next to it and it will shoot.

Ah, now I see what you meant. I tried replacing the block with a half-slab, but then the hopper was no longer powered. The only solution I can think of (tried this and it worked) is to move the dropper one block forward and put a hopper feeding into it where it used to be. I don't know if that will work with your setup or not, though.

Malacodor
    Malacodor

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1022 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostRamblinWreckGT, on 27 March 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

The only solution I can think of (tried this and it worked) is to move the dropper one block forward and put a hopper feeding into it where it used to be. I don't know if that will work with your setup or not, though.
I wanted to avoid this, but it seems to be the only way.

GretarJ
    GretarJ

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Theoretically this should work (with a hopper instead of dropper on top), but doesn't with a hopper. Witch is probably a bug, since the upper dropper is receiving power(And thus does not shoot if you were to add a button on it) while You can flip the lever/button on the lower dropper and it works.
Posted Image

Edit: hmm. no, that's incorrect. Hoppers only take power from the same level they stand on, while droppers take power from both the level they stand on and the one above that.. so it seems this task is not possible..

Edit 2: Unless you can fit this into your desing
Posted Image

That is a dropper faceing down into another dropper. When the button is pushed the hopper drops 1 item into the dropper that shoots it into the second dropper witch can be freely activated to shot out the items.

Malacodor
    Malacodor

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1022 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostGretarJ, on 28 March 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

That is a dropper faceing down into another dropper. When the button is pushed the hopper drops 1 item into the dropper that shoots it into the second dropper witch can be freely activated to shot out the items.
When the button is pushed the hopper drops 3 items, but the dropper only 1.

GretarJ
    GretarJ

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostMalacodor, on 28 March 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

When the button is pushed the hopper drops 3 items, but the dropper only 1.
Because that's how long the button pulse is, you will have to add a pulse limiter to the input.