Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Unfair Donor Benefits On Servers

servers donors rant discussion

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

champdude17

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Alot of big servers allow people to donate to the server today. Most of the time they will offer some benefits to the donors. However do you think some servers give a slightly too big advantage to donors? Here are some benefits that are unfair towards normal players.

Kicking abilities: Very common in game servers such as survival games, this is where the donor can kick the last player who joined so they can join, Why not have a few reserved spaces for donors, or a completely separate server?

Donor only building protection: I don't mind servers where raiding and griefing is allowed, but only donors can avoid that? Building protection should be available to everyone for in-game currency so people don't just claim every plot of land.

Discrimination towards non donors: This is something I have found in lots of servers, mainly faction servers. Non donors get ignored and not taken seriously while donors are kissed up to and the center of attention.

Donor prefixes:This links in to the discrimination of non donors. In most servers new joiners will get a prefix like [Guest] or [default] in a dark blue or grey color, while the people who have paid $50 get the title of [GOD] or [BEAST] in massive flashy colors. The first players on the server could have dedicated lots of work and time into the server but never donated, and get ignored because of the dull prefix.

/Kit: probably the WORST thing to happen in minecraft servers. /kit basically means people can spawn in a bunch of items usually every 24 hours, the /kits are usually something like /kit titan which gives them protection 4 armor and a sharp 5 sword, they will then generally go and camp the pvp border and kill all the new players, ruining their experience just to raise their KDR

I don't hate that servers allow donors to have benefits, I can see they need the money to run the server and to encourage people to donate give some benefits. I just hate that some servers completely revolve around the pay too win system and everyone who doesn't pay gets a crappy experience. Feel free to give your opinion on this, and thanks for taking the time to read this.
file:///C:/Users/Daniel/Pictures/moriarty-surprised.gif

Register or log in to remove.

everything2Christ
  • Minecraft: ElanorL

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

way agree.

the way people put it:

regular player = Posted Image chopped liverPosted Image

donor = Posted Image flying suck upPosted Image
SQUD ARMY FOREVER!

CreeperXplosion
  • Minecraft: souldude19

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Well, the only reason they get those abilities is so they can get people to donate. Most people won't randomly donate anything if they don't get something out of it. It's similar to 'Pay to play' games. As for the Donor Prefixes, why are you complaining about that? It's just some stupid title that doesn't help out except for maybe getting noticed better which doesn't really matter anyway.
Posted Image

everything2Christ
  • Minecraft: ElanorL

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

i hate pay to play games.

they = Posted Image unfairnessPosted Image

did you not hear that [default] makes you not noticable? and that means......

one time i was on a server, and everyone was trying to get into a portal at the same time, which was making the game laggy. i meerly said, "could you try one at a time?" some (actual DONOR) answered me: "who made you in charge of all us?" sounding kinda mean :(
SQUD ARMY FOREVER!

Mazzyandmilk
  • Minecraft: Mazzyandmilk

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Donate to donate to keep the server running, not to get godly benefits that will outmatch everyone.
But small things are fine.
Hi. I'm a penguin. I would get a picture of a penguin up for you to gawp at, but unfortunately I'm too lazy.

GamerGuy12z
  • Minecraft: GamerGuy12z

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostCreeperXplosion, on 24 March 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Well, the only reason they get those abilities is so they can get people to donate. Most people won't randomly donate anything if they don't get something out of it.

The term "Donating" is used incorrectly in Minecraft.
Donating is giving money and receiving nothing special in return.

"Buying" is the proper term that should be used, but won't be.

Posted Image

youdontdeservetoseemyname

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Also, some servers allow there donors to become a mob, invisible, give items to others, or creative on a hunger games. That seems pretty unfair.
Posted Image

CreeperXplosion
  • Minecraft: souldude19

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostGamerGuy12z, on 24 March 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Actually I disagree (in a way). The actual definition of 'Donate' Is:                                                                                                            
  • Give (money or goods) for a good cause, for example to a charity.
It is, most of the time, a good cause. Most servers accept donations to keep the server running  which is the good cause. But most people don't think of donate as receiving something in return. So, in a way, you're right.
Posted Image

Darthrevan4ever
  • Minecraft: darthrevan4ever
  • Xbox:nope

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Too true,  I've been killed by admins to protect donors in hunger games maps, had complaints about donors completely ignored such as them completely griefing my stuff when greifing was no allowed by server rules. In PVP maps been destroyed by donors cause they get diamond gear and enchanted weapons 8sighs* now if only they'd give them small benefits not huge ones i'd be fine but they are out of control giving huge benefits to people who pay to win.

Greatzilla
    Greatzilla

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Minecraft: greatzilla26
  • Xbox:Greatzilla

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, it is unfair. That's one of the reasons I don't play on big servers anymore.
Super Awesome City Parkour (one of the better maps I made): http://www.minecraft...-super-awesome/
Also, here is an awesome suggestion I had: http://www.minecraft...-biome-effects/

Faolan73
  • Minecraft: Paganwolf

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

here's the thing.. The way that person run's their server is up to them. Don't like it you can make a suggestion to them but they may not listen to you.  

There are plenty of servers that do not do "donor rewards" systems.  You just have to be willing to put in the effort of finding them and applying to them and trying them out.
Posted Image

Darthrevan4ever
  • Minecraft: darthrevan4ever
  • Xbox:nope

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

While i agree with you, Faolan i find it harder and harder to find servers not doing this. I've been looking for several months now and haven't found a good large sized server that doesnt do this anymore. While i understand on one hand that they need the donations to make their rent so to speak i cant help but wonder how much profit is coming off of the larger servers now since this is the common practice. So in turn instead of what originally could be something so that was allowing the server to continue is now almost money grabs to cash in on the market of pay to win.

Mr_danpain
  • Minecraft: Mr_danpain

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Those are some true and cold facts, specially the prefix and font color ones
Beside those there is even one more that completely annoys me,
Donators...in the most of the cases...are treated like kings...
If there's having a arguing in the server...the owner
will automaticly be on his side, beside the fact
there are people that work a lot for the server they're playing in
and they just don't get enough recognizement for what they do.
Capitalism, that's pretty much it :P

General Exploit Veteran| >Website<| Python Lover

If my post helped, make sure to press the Posted Image button .

Phonics74
  • Minecraft: Phonics74

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

These reasons alone is why I ignore/leave servers that ask for "donations". If a server owner actually understood the definition of "donate" and just said "If you like the server and want to see it continue running" instead of "HEY LOOK AT ALL THE COOL STUFF YOU CAN GET IF YOU GO GET YOUR MOM'S CREDIT CARD AND GIVE ME $30!!!!!", I would have a chance of donating to a server.
"The Universe is trying to kill you. Outsmart the Universe."
--Neil deGrasse Tyson

Winter_Mage

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

I think donations are okay as long as they are reasonable. I do hate pvp servers and especially those with donator ranks.

As long as not being a donator doesn't really make you lose out ( as in having /sethome /back /spawn /tp being only for donators imo )

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends on the situation and if the server is top notch or not.

The

View PostMr_danpain, on 24 March 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Those are some true and cold facts, specially the prefix and font color ones
Beside those there is even one more that completely annoys me,
Donators...in the most of the cases...are treated like kings...
If there's having a arguing in the server...the owner
will automaticly be on his side, beside the fact
there are people that work a lot for the server they're playing in
and they just don't get enough recognizement for what they do.
Capitalism, that's pretty much it Posted Image

Well I think that's not a good server. The server I use to be on recognized everyone and didn't give rulebreaking exceptions to donators. Too bad the owner was a sexter to minors.... but that's another thing.

Add-on: Either you like it or you don't maybe

Posted Image
A double resolution texture pack that stays faithful to the original Minecraft textures.

TRKillShot
  • Minecraft: TheReal_KILLshOt

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

As a server owner, benefits such as these are necessary, to maintain and run the server. Donations pay for the server, and without them you would see a huge decline in the # of servers available.

Posted Image

fseftr
    fseftr

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Minecraft: fseftr

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Kit isn't that bad in my opinion, as long as the items are actually obtainable in-game. While, yes a lot of servers have unfair perks, you don't have to play on them. Try a small server, or one you start yourself.
Posted Image
Think of and PM a new username for me and win...nothing.

skullgunner1
  • Minecraft: Treshure

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

A server is a server, and you aren't allowed to profit. The only way to hold a server up without paying out of your pocket are donations, you have to hold up ridiculous offers so people will pay for your server. It's how it works and will always work.
Posted Image

Doc543
    Doc543

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • Minecraft: Doc543

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

This is the reason I do not play on public servers anymore. They all just want your money. I play on a private survival with my good friends. No payments, no greifing, community builds, fair trading, and good people.

Posted Image
"I am legally obligated  by the State of Idaho say that best thing that ever happened to Minecraft was potatoes"

Mathy
    Mathy

Matherator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 3523 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

View PostGamerGuy12z, on 24 March 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Donating is when you give money, or another item of monetary value, to an organization, corporation, or person(s), with the expectation and liability of nothing in return. However, often a perk is offered in reward, and this perk must be worth significantly less than the original monetary value donated.

Fermat said:

I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this, which this margin is too small to contain.