Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft forge 6.6.2.534 Lag on 1.4.7


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1

TheDiamondIndustry
  • Minecraft: serenthyr

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

After a long hunt of why my fps drops tremendously in minecraft I found out that minecraft forge is causing it.

On a clean install of Minecraft 1.4.7, I have an fps of 120 or more. After I installed minecraftforge 6.6.2.534 I get a lot of lag. (It's the latest version for MC 1.4.7)
My fps drops below 20 when I start to walk after I wait for the chunks to load. Installing Optifine and tweaking it doesn't work. I tested it without anything else installed. Just Forge.

Specs (As if it matters since everything works perfectly before):
Spoiler:

Clean installing Minecraft and Forge doesn't work.
My drivers/programs are up-to-date
No viruses
etc.

The people on minecraftforge.net seem unsopportive when someone says that the game starts to lag after installing forge. While it didn't before forge was installed.

Maybe people in here can help.

TL;DR: Forge causes big fps drop after installing it.

Thank you!

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Mikko_blu
    Mikko_blu

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 1688 posts
  • Location: Wisconsin, USA
  • Minecraft: Mikko_blu

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostTheDiamondIndustry, on 17 March 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

After a long hunt of why my fps drops tremendously in minecraft I found out that minecraft forge is causing it.

On a clean install of Minecraft 1.4.7, I have an fps of 120 or more. After I installed minecraftforge 6.6.2.534 I get a lot of lag. (It's the latest version for MC 1.4.7)
My fps drops below 20 when I start to walk after I wait for the chunks to load. Installing Optifine and tweaking it doesn't work. I tested it without anything else installed. Just Forge.

Specs (As if it matters since everything works perfectly before):
Spoiler:

Clean installing Minecraft and Forge doesn't work.
My drivers/programs are up-to-date
No viruses
etc.

The people on minecraftforge.net seem unsopportive when someone says that the game starts to lag after installing forge. While it didn't before forge was installed.

Maybe people in here can help.

TL;DR: Forge causes big fps drop after installing it.

Thank you!

Hi again.

Did you try installing a earlier version of forge to make sure that the problem persists, or is solved? I'm assuming you did.

#3

TheDiamondIndustry
  • Minecraft: serenthyr

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostMikko_blu, on 17 March 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Hi again.

Did you try installing a earlier version of forge to make sure that the problem persists, or is solved? I'm assuming you did.
Hello again Posted Image
Yes, I installed an older one, which still was for 1.4.7 and I tried the latest one.

Last time I found out it was forcing 'V-sync on' that caused the problem.
But that was on a clean install. Now it's with Forge. And no, I'm not forcing v-sync Posted Image

#4

Mikko_blu
    Mikko_blu

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 1688 posts
  • Location: Wisconsin, USA
  • Minecraft: Mikko_blu

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostTheDiamondIndustry, on 17 March 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Hello again Posted Image
Yes, I installed an older one, which still was for 1.4.7 and I tried the latest one.

Last time I found out it was forcing 'V-sync on' that caused the problem.
But that was on a clean install. Now it's with Forge. And no, I'm not forcing v-sync Posted Image

I'm not sure if i rememeber correctly, but do you know how to use the F3 debug chart? It'll help us understand what Minecraft is doing thats causing lag.

#5

TheDiamondIndustry
  • Minecraft: serenthyr

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostMikko_blu, on 17 March 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

I'm not sure if i rememeber correctly, but do you know how to use the F3 debug chart? It'll help us understand what Minecraft is doing thats causing lag.
Yes, by pressing 1 you see the other charts. What do I have to do with it?

#6

Mikko_blu
    Mikko_blu

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 1688 posts
  • Location: Wisconsin, USA
  • Minecraft: Mikko_blu

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostTheDiamondIndustry, on 17 March 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Yes, by pressing 1 you see the other charts. What do I have to do with it?
Take a screesnhot of the root chard, the one that shows game renderer and etc

#7

TheDiamondIndustry
  • Minecraft: serenthyr

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Posted Image

EDIT: I also noticed that after I loaded all the chunks while standing still: The game still is updating chunks constantly 40 to 60 updates per second. Which obviously causes lag.

EDIT 2: It seems that when I join someone's server, this doesn't happen and the fps is good. So it's the mod I guess?

#8

TheDiamondIndustry
  • Minecraft: serenthyr

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Anyone else knows why this happens?

#9

longwing

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

I was starting to wonder if it was just me. I've been encountering nearly the exact same issue, and it's tied directly to Forge 6.6.2.534. In my case, my frame rate never drops, but I start to see lag between myself and the world. I'll do something, and the world will sit and think about it for a while before finally "Catching up" to the actions I've taken. The game will run fine for 20 or 30 seconds, then the problem repeats.

The issue doesn't appear until I install Forge. Vanilla minecraft, and minecraft modded without forge, do not encounter this problem.

My specs:
Spoiler:

Here's a decent screenshot of a lag spike, with nothing interesting happening in the console. My frame-rate was perfectly stable, but the block floated for about 3-5 seconds after I destroyed the one beneath it.
Spoiler:

And here's a complete log from the forge console, start to finish on the test. Interesting bits about the delays on root, no?
Spoiler:

I'd love to figure out what's causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#10

TheDiamondIndustry
  • Minecraft: serenthyr

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Don't expect help from the forge forum. They delete your post when you say the game lags because of their mod. Eventho you have 100% proof.

#11

longwing

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

So I kicked around the problem a bit longer and finally figured out what was dragging my system down. It may not be the same as yours, here's what was happening to me:

First off, it wasn't actually Forge causing the issues. Like you, my problems disappeared if I connected to a server. They only happened in Single player. That particular behavior was known for quite a while on these forums as the Lag Spike Of Death. Tons of people tried tons of methods to prevent it. Long story short: The most common LSOD is caused by Minecraft's Auto-save feature chewing up hard drive read/write access.

My lag was being caused by the Windows Indexing Service and Immunet (my virus scanner) scanning the Minecraft folder EVERY time the world updated.

The solution (for me):
  • Install Optifine, and set Autosave in Optifine's menus to 3 minutes. (This is simple if you're using MultiMC, just add the ZIP file to the minecraft.jar section of the instance)

  • Go to the Indexing Service in Control panel, and tell it to stop indexing your Minecraft directory. (C:/Documents and Settings/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/.minecraft) If you're on XP, this can be complicated. There are guides online for disabling or removing indexing in XP. Everything past Vista has controls in the control panel.

  • If you're using MultiMC, also tell the indexing service to ignore MultiMC's root directory, wherever you've installed it.

  • Tell your virus scanner to stop autoscanning the Minecraft directories. In my case, I use Immunet, which is a great (and free) scanner, but it tracks changes to files on your HD, and scanned every new change to the Minecraft world save. Immunet has settings for ignoring directories, your scanner may or may not have them. Disabling your scanner altogether is a non-ideal alternative, so consider switching to Immunet if you don't have a way to "ignore" directories in your current software.


#12

TheDiamondIndustry
  • Minecraft: serenthyr

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

It disappears in multiplayer because your mods aren't 'active' in SMP.

I also have Optifine installed and set auto-save to 30 minutes like I always do. But my problem still persists.
I'm glad it worked for you and thanks for posting your solution in here!

#13

longwing

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

I was referring specifically to joining a modded server, and you should be aware that Forge overwrites files inside the minecraft Jar, there is no "inactive" forge when it's installed. The hooks might not get called if you don't have forge-dependent mods installed, but a single glance at the logfile it creates at minecraft's launch proves that it activates regardless.

I only started a single player world in order to test a new modpack I was creating. It was the single-player/multi-player dichotomy which eventually led me to my solution. The one significant difference between single and multi-player is who's saving the chunk updates (your computer or the server's), the most likely culprit for lag spikes becomes hard drive access.

You might want to take a look at what's accessing your drive. As my solution outlined, changing the save interval isn't enough. I tried that first, but then had to run system monitoring tools to determine that the Indexing Service was chewing up read/writes it didn't need. Changing the indexing behavior, and then changing the virus scanner's behavior, were also required to prevent the spikes.

Will it work for you? No idea. However, you might want to test the rest of the solution.

#14

TheDiamondIndustry
  • Minecraft: serenthyr

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

I already turned off indexing a long time ago. Turning off my antivirus with firewall neither. Thanks tho.
I also turned off several services but without luck.