137 replies to this topic

Naelego
    Naelego

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Minecraft: naelego

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

There doesn't seem to be any really good cel shaders out there for Karyonix's GLSL shaders mod, so I decided to take a crack at it. The result is:

Naelego's Cel Shaders

version 1.0.4

Screenshots:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

(Map credit to Stratosphere Survival and Project Ares. Full image galleries here and here.)

Download / Installation:

1.) You can download the latest version here.

2.) This is only a shaderpack for Karyonix's mod (link at the top). His mod is required in order to use these shaders.

3.) Once the shaders mod is set up, simply drag the downloaded ".zip" file into the "shaderpacks" folder in your minecraft directory to install.

4.) Naelego's Cel Shaders should appear under the options -> shaders menu in-game. If not, check to make sure you placed the ".zip" file in the correct directory.

Planned Features:

-bloom/HDR

Known Bugs:

-outline issues with some blocks (rendered improperly)

-some things that recieve outlines should not (multiplayer nametags)

-biome colors are messed up (AO quantization side-effect)

Some of these are due in part to the limitations of the deferred renderer. I will hopefully talk to Karyonix and try to sort these issues out.

Change Log:
Spoiler:

Thanks for reading! I'm new around here, so if there's anything in the post I could change or improve, please let me know.

Register or log in to remove.

pr0t0tyype

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

Holy afro-jesus on a unicycle, this is awesome!

Except I hope you can fix the star black line issue thing soon.

Enchantement
  • Minecraft: Enchantement

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Man, my eyes lit up when I saw that picture. Downloading now, this looks amazing.

sheenrox82
  • Minecraft: sheenrox82
  • Xbox:sheenrox82

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

Wow! Reminds me of Borderlands 2.

Posted Image

"Nothing is impossible, it's just that you haven't figured out a way to make it work."

Naelego
    Naelego

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

View Postpr0t0tyype, on 10 March 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

Holy afro-jesus on a unicycle, this is awesome!

Except I hope you can fix the star black line issue thing soon.

Hey guys, glad you like it! I just fixed the issue with stars, sun and moon getting an outline, and the solution also resulted in a minor performance improvement. win-win! Link is in the OP.

lilshadowxzx2

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

View Postsheenrox82, on 10 March 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

Wow! Reminds me of Borderlands 2.
My exact thoughts, love this!
‚Äč<this is a signature>

frunzasex23

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

This is pure Imagination,this is how vanilla Minecraft should look!
Good Job bro!

NerdZander
  • Minecraft: smilezander

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I made a Mod/Shaderpack spotlight!

Nice job! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sildur1
    Sildur1

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Minecraft: Sildur1

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

In which file are your ''shadows'' located? I could fix them up a bit Posted Image They look awfull to me, this shadow around the block.

Nevermind found it.
If you want some help with your shaders add me in skype my name is feuerhase-
I've got my own shaders for mac and windows. (http://www.minecraft...by-sildur-glsl/) Maybe i can help you a bit.

- Sildur
Posted Image

Telekneticmaster

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Excuse me, but I have many black lines that go across my screen...It says something about GL failing and switching to something less...
However, I still get the cell-shaded effect. Anyone know why this happens?

YX33A
    YX33A

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • Minecraft: YX33A

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Aw yeah, Cel Shader for Minecraft.  I do so loves me some Cel Shader Render Modifications.  Just feels so... Well, I guess childish is the word I'm most inclined to use here, but I know it's not the word I'm really looking for.  Ah, Whimsical.  That's the one, It just feels so Whimsical.
And upon a flight of fancy, this shall be forever my preferred way to play Minecraft.  Because whats the point of having a game which is completely free form with only some basic goals if you can't have it look nice?
"Minecraft is like an orgasm - even science can't describe it"
Posted Image    Posted Image

Cryptonat said:

Snitch said:

Basically you're stuck in hell till you find a portal out. There are alternatives to pig, by the way, as you probably know. :>
There are no alternatives to Bacon. Ever.

Naelego
    Naelego

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostSildur1, on 10 March 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

In which file are your ''shadows'' located? I could fix them up a bit Posted Image They look awfull to me, this shadow around the block.

Nevermind found it.
If you want some help with your shaders add me in skype my name is feuerhase-
I've got my own shaders for mac and windows. (http://www.minecraft...by-sildur-glsl/) Maybe i can help you a bit.

- Sildur

haha, thanks for the offer. The shadows around the edges of blocks are the blocks' color value referenced by the gl_Color variable; Minecraft uses cpu ambient occlusion for its smooth lighting effect. The step function I use to flat shade the AO has the benefit of being fast and simple, with the downside that it messes up biome colors; the other option I've considered is to use SSAO instead, which would be much slower but result in less jagged shading. Maybe I'll do both and have "fast" and "fancy" versions of the shaders.

View PostTelekneticmaster, on 10 March 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Excuse me, but I have many black lines that go across my screen...It says something about GL failing and switching to something less...
However, I still get the cell-shaded effect. Anyone know why this happens?

The mod relies on a high-precision depth buffer to produce the outlines, it looks like your graphics card doesn't support this feature. Sorry about that : \

Sildur1
    Sildur1

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostNaelego, on 10 March 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

haha, thanks for the offer. The shadows around the edges of blocks are the blocks' color value referenced by the gl_Color variable; Minecraft uses cpu ambient occlusion for its smooth lighting effect. The step function I use to flat shade the AO has the benefit of being fast and simple, with the downside that it messes up biome colors; the other option I've considered is to use SSAO instead, which would be much slower but result in less jagged shading. Maybe I'll do both and have "fast" and "fancy" versions of the shaders.
Well I removed it, but i cant change the complete gbuffers_terrain.fsh, instead i've added realistic shadows and still got 100+ fps. Also i've added waving water, grass and much more in. If you want I can give you the package, easiest would be over skype as I offered you.

Here's a screenshot, the biome is still messed up. When I fix it the cell shading gets broken.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Naelego
    Naelego

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostSildur1, on 10 March 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

Well I removed it, but i cant change the complete gbuffers_terrain.fsh, instead i've added realistic shadows and still got 100+ fps. Also i've added waving water, grass and much more in. If you want I can give you the package, easiest would be over skype as I offered you.

Here's a screenshot, the biome is still messed up. When I fix it the cell shading gets broken.
*snip*

Cool. I've played around with the shadowbuffers a bit and I like the concept, but I feel that it breaks immersion because when you have global shadows, you notice that there aren't any point-light shadows, and then it gets into the whole "uncanny valley" thing. Just personal preference, I suppose. Anyways, I'm running a macbook with a weak-but-capable geforce 320m, so I only get about 30fps with my current shaders; that drops to 15/20 when I add shadows. Glad you've taken interest, though!

Sildur1
    Sildur1

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostNaelego, on 10 March 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Cool. I've played around with the shadowbuffers a bit and I like the concept, but I feel that it breaks immersion because when you have global shadows, you notice that there aren't any point-light shadows, and then it gets into the whole "uncanny valley" thing. Just personal preference, I suppose. Anyways, I'm running a macbook with a weak-but-capable geforce 320m, so I only get about 30fps with my current shaders; that drops to 15/20 when I add shadows. Glad you've taken interest, though!
Noticed it a few mins ago, break gbuffers_terrain.fsh, sounds strange but just do it got 80fps more then with it.
Posted Image

anicet74
    anicet74

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1579 posts
  • Location: In a white and weird antichamber,trying to get out of it
  • Minecraft: Someone...

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

nice,too bad that my computer don't support shaders for minecraft (an a lot of recent games...)

Posted Image
English isn't my native language,if sometimes I'm doing errors or feeling rude because of something said incorectly,please tell me,that will help me to improve my english level

THANKS

Chilli_Axe
  • Minecraft: Chilli_Axe

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Heya! Thanks for making this mod, looks pretty amazing. However, when I selected the shader from both in-game and in the main menu, I only got a black screen. I'm running a 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro with an AMD Radeon HD 6750M. I can confirm that Sonic Ether's shaders and the DoF shaders are both working fine. Any support is much appreciated. :D
Posted Image

The_MiningCrafter
  • Minecraft: Minecrafter_LKC

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

It's been reviewed by Chaz!  Great mod additon btw!
Posted Image

Sildur1
    Sildur1

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

I was able to fix your biome bug, but the sky bug is kinda back, but you can fix it kinda when you turn sky in optifine off. Also waving water and other stuff in it. Optimized everything a bit, no shadows in it got max fps 150!
I send you the package as a message.
Posted Image

As you see increased fps. Maybe you can fix the cell shading.
Posted Image

Naelego
    Naelego

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

View PostChilli_Axe, on 11 March 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Heya! Thanks for making this mod, looks pretty amazing. However, when I selected the shader from both in-game and in the main menu, I only got a black screen. I'm running a 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro with an AMD Radeon HD 6750M. I can confirm that Sonic Ether's shaders and the DoF shaders are both working fine. Any support is much appreciated. Posted Image

That's very strange; my shaders use fewer new/advanced opengl features than Sonic Ether's, and are confirmed to work fine on ati and nvidia cards as well as several macs (including my dev machine). Are there any errors in the chat console, such as "invalid program final.fsh" for example? I'm sorry about that, I'll see if there's any code that needs tidying up and maybe the next release will work.

Speaking of which, I've been hard at work fixing the very ugly bug with black bars appearing along walls and other flat surfaces. I'm pretty happy with the solution, which involves checking the angle between the camera and surface normals, but the Minecraft code provides the wrong normals on some blocks, which creates weird results. Once I find a decent workaround I'll post a new release, but until then here's some screenshots:

current release (1.0.2):
Posted Image

dev version:
Posted Image