Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How did Steve get his name?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

slicedbread1991
  • Minecraft: slicedbread1991

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

We all call the default skin in Minecraft "Steve", but I've always wondered how did he get that name. I know Notch has never officially called him Steve. In fact, whenever Notch refers to Steve he always puts a question mark after his name. I know in the very early stages of Minecraft there was a Mob named Steve, but was removed when the artist who created him left the company. Anyways, How did the current Steve get his name?

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

icemage27

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

I think the story goes that Notch was asked "What's the main characters name?". And he answered "I don't know. Steve?"
And then the name including the question mark sticked.

Unilegger
    Unilegger

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 5809 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

View Posticemage27, on 05 March 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

I think the story goes that Notch was asked "What's the main characters name?". And he answered "I don't know. Steve?"
And then the name including the question mark sticked.
This.

And in Minecraft PE, the default character name is "Stevie", which is just an alternate form of Steve(?).
Also, it maybe a reference to Steve, and old test mob that was going to be a default avatar.

Posted Image

phildachil
  • Minecraft: phildachil
  • Xbox:offhealer

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

"The current Minecraftplayer model appears in Super Meat Boy as a playable character called Steve. Notch is not sure that this is his official name, as he puts a question mark symbol after it"

Read that on minecraftwiki, might answer your question.

HerobrineHunter5501
  • Minecraft: Mzureich5501

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Since the creator of the Mob Steve left the company Notch took him out as a mob but might have put him in as the character in Minecraft. Since Notch wasn't using Steve as a mob he has full right to use him.
I don't argue. Is simply explain how I'm right.

BioShock_Rules
  • Minecraft: BioShock_Rules
  • PSN:juzwikallday

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Someone asked Notch what his name was, and he jokingly answered Steve(?).
What are you...?  WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!!?!?  I must warn you... my power level... IT'S OVAR 9,000!!!!
Posted Image

fartman_lol

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Its probably because steve (Main Steve) was Refereed as a worker for the skin on Minecraft as his name was steve
I think ???

View Postfartman_lol, on 11 July 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Its probably because steve (Main Steve) was Refereed as a worker for the skin on Minecraft as his name was steve
I think ???
Umm or it was a remake of steve the mob but everything went wrong and ended up as your player