• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

The new 1.5 texture pack format

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

GamingOnion

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Can somebody please explain how will I edit my textures effectively?

I am going to have to open each file individually and that sounds terrible.

Right now I love the 1.4.7 texture pack format as I can just open the terrain.png , and have a look at all of the textures, and see what I like and what I don't.

Am I missing something here?
Is there any way to edit the texture pack in the old fashioned way?

Register or log in to remove.

BlackCosmos567

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

hmm i wouldn't think so if they are all individual then that's the way they have to be, im still on 1.4.7
Posted Image

GamingOnion

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostBlackCosmos567, on 02 March 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

hmm i wouldn't think so if they are all individual then that's the way they have to be, im still on 1.4.7

Mojang has made it so that (in 1.5) every texture has it's own file, unlike now where they are stored in only a few huge files that contain all of them.

FabooGuy

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

There's a texture Restitcher made by someone on this forum, use the search bar, I'm too lazy to get a link for you.
It creates texture sheets with similar blocks and items (like the tools, ores, or foodstuffs) next to each other and let's you quickly convert it to the 1.5 format.
Posted Image

BlackCosmos567

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostFabooGuy, on 02 March 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

There's a texture Restitcher made by someone on this forum, use the search bar, I'm too lazy to get a link for you.
It creates texture sheets with similar blocks and items (like the tools, ores, or foodstuffs) next to each other and let's you quickly convert it to the 1.5 format.
what faboo said
Posted Image

GamingOnion

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostFabooGuy, on 02 March 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

It seems ridiculous to have to use a third party program to do what we already can do in the older versions.
also, what about the new textures in 1.5? will they be added to the terrain.png?

FabooGuy

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostGamingOnion, on 02 March 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

It seems ridiculous to have to use a third party program to do what we already can do in the older versions.
also, what about the new textures in 1.5? will they be added to the terrain.png?

Yeah, think so.

And separate files make quite some things easier.
For example, somebody without any knowledge of an image editing program can easily mix some texture packs for personal use.
You also don't have to worry about the position of blocks. (when Photoshop fails to snap my block to the right place, it's usually one pixel off)

(not saying I like the new format though, both have some pros and cons, but we can't decide over that, so yeah... we should be glad that there are some coders in the texture pack section)
Posted Image

GamingOnion

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

It's better for the user, and worse for the creator.

Balduran
    Balduran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3194 posts
  • Minecraft: Lol, No

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostGamingOnion, on 02 March 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

It's better for the user, and worse for the creator.
Mojang has generally showed a complete disregard for texture artists already. I think this is just another brick in the wall.
...But that's just my opinion.
My modder's resource and assortment of miscellaneous textures.
Status: Fed up with Minecraft [Consult the above link for details]
My DeviantART, requests welcome.

GamingOnion

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

In any case, I got my texture pack in the 1.5 format , Now, how do I combine them to a big file and edit them?
I can't get unstitcher to work.

Balduran
    Balduran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3194 posts
  • Minecraft: Lol, No

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostGamingOnion, on 02 March 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

In any case, I got my texture pack in the 1.5 format , Now, how do I combine them to a big file and edit them?
I can't get unstitcher to work.
You first should use the Resticher by DoomVonDoom, and then the unsticher again to make it readable by Minecraft. Hooray overcomplications
...But that's just my opinion.
My modder's resource and assortment of miscellaneous textures.
Status: Fed up with Minecraft [Consult the above link for details]
My DeviantART, requests welcome.

GamingOnion

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostBalduran, on 02 March 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

You first should use the Resticher by DoomVonDoom, and then the unsticher again to make it readable by Minecraft. Hooray overcomplications

I cannot find restitcher , may I have a link?

FabooGuy

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Actually, the Restitcher is called Unstitcher too...
Anyways, LINK.
Posted Image

GamingOnion

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostFabooGuy, on 02 March 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Actually, the Restitcher is called Unstitcher too...
Anyways, LINK.

It's not working.

FabooGuy

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

Why not? We need more info to help you.
Posted Image

aidster8000

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

I don't necessarily think its bad. I mean, it's easier for people to make higher definition texture packs, and you can make really awesome animated textures. The most amazing thing about it, is that you don't need to update your packs. The update is great, and I don't think there's a way to make it so the terrain.png is the main texture provider for the snapshots.
~Aidster8000
Posted Image

GamingOnion

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

View PostFabooGuy, on 03 March 2013 - 12:45 AM, said:

Why not? We need more info to help you.
When I unstitch it, and go to the location of the unstitch, the files are not there.

View Postaidster8000, on 03 March 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

I don't necessarily think its bad. I mean, it's easier for people to make higher definition texture packs, and you can make really awesome animated textures. The most amazing thing about it, is that you don't need to update your packs. The update is great, and I don't think there's a way to make it so the terrain.png is the main texture provider for the snapshots.
~Aidster8000

It's better for the users, and for SOME texture pack creators.
for most I believe this is terrible, I cannot edit textures effectively like this.
and with the only program that allows you to edit them the old way (unstitcher) not working for at least 90% of all people using it, I just cannot say there is a bright feature in the texture pack community.

FabooGuy

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

He fixed the bug, try again:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Toughy11
    Toughy11

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Minecraft: Toughy11

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

i hate ***** (don't want to get another infraction)
because he has just thrown away minecraft and made it "easier" to use when it's just non-understandable
**** that is extremely hard to use.
I wish Notch still did the updates,
he got 'em out on time and always made them easy.
Not like ***** who completely ****ed up minecraft.
Anyway my point is that textures are impossible now.Posted Image

NearlySober2

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Forgive my newbness but I only recently got Minecraft and the first thing I did was create a personal texture pack. (Not one I would ever release because although mostly made myself there were a few blocks I got one by one from other packs that I thought looked perfect within the theme I was going for.) I finished it right when 1.4.7 came out. So,I was a little surprised by 1.5. It was like all my work was gone. But, it's not like it disappeared, it's just a different format.

I'm glad that the update moved away from the terrain.png file. It may have been efficient but it had many drawbacks. I'm not even sure all the new blocks that were added would have been able to fit in it - not to mention upgrades in the future. Now we can have endless different blocks down the road.

Also, it's really nice that now you are not limited to a set pixel restriction. Say you are making a 32X pack but no matter how you try you can't make that one block the way you want without a little more detail - now with individual files you can make it 64X and the game will seamlessly put them all together.

My only problem so far is that I haven't learned all there is of the update yet so all my animated blocks don't work and I no longer know how to have multiple variations of my mobs. Oh.... and don't get me started on CTM and the font.