• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Ghasts need a buff

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

danthonywalker

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Honestly I don't see the problem with some of you guys. The Nether is a hellish area, it should be hard, I shouldn't be able to to just walk around the place because it's just way too safe for me to even care. I walk, oh no a Ghast is shooting at me, good thing it can't shoot for nothing and I can just stroll along and even stand still and it still won't be able to hit me. I want to regret going to the Nether, but in return the Nether should offer a better reward for my troubles.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Neospector
  • Location: The Temple of Rhinne, Goddess and Transcendent of Time
  • Minecraft: Neospector

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

View Postdanthonywalker, on 28 February 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

Honestly I don't see the problem with some of you guys. The Nether is a hellish area, it should be hard, I shouldn't be able to to just walk around the place because it's just way too safe for me to even care. I walk, oh no a Ghast is shooting at me, good thing it can't shoot for nothing and I can just stroll along and even stand still and it still won't be able to hit me. I want to regret going to the Nether, but in return the Nether should offer a better reward for my troubles.
Hard, not impossible. Ghasts are incredibly powerful as they are, dealing 8.5 hearts of damage varying on proximity. Damage wise, they are fine. Health wise, they are low at only 5 hearts, but being long range creatures as I said, they are very difficult to hit.

Badgerz said:

You have to keep in mind that people are stupid.

Catelite said:

Just because you don't understand how something works, doesn't make it broken or pointless. >_<
Posted Image

snipe7r
    snipe7r

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

No health buffs, the thing's supposed to be a glass cannon that doges.  I say add ballistic skills(movement prediction).
Click this please!---->Posted Image

ErasmoGnome

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

View PostNeospector, on 28 February 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

Yes. Multiple times. From behind, while trying to fight from the front, doesn't matter. I'm sorry, but the reality is that not everyone is a magical wizard who can make ghast fireballs pass through them like you can, but on normal mode for legit players their fireballs will one-hit KO you if they hit, no exceptions. Not only that, but they destroy your items too. Aside from what johnyIsAwesome said with the natural regeneration, no, they most certainly do not need buffs.

Why are you in the Nether without armor?
Posted Image
If you want to see a great idea for Minecraft, click the banner! Over 400 supporters and counting!

toasterminer64
    toasterminer64

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

No support.  I agree the Nether needs to be more challenging, but not this way.  Ghasts are terrifying.  As a ranged mob, they're supposed to be weaker.  It balances them out.  Plus, when you kill them, you can rarely acquire their drops, because they tend to hover over lava.  I would support a new mob in the Nether.

Hobo_Nate
  • Minecraft: Hobo_Nate

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

They don't need more health, because it takes about as many arrows to hit one as it takes to kill a regular mob. I like the better accuracy though, because not only do they horribly miss, they just happen to hit your big creations.
Although they were a lot worse back when they spawn so much that there are a dozen of them trying to kill you after ten minutes in the Nether.
...and if you have the time check out mah website :D

Azraile
    Azraile

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Just make the stay away more.... lol.... I have a hard enugh dealing with them the way they fly around out of range of normal bows..... do I really HAVE to have an enchanted bow before I go there just to deal with them?
I aim to please ... and occasionally mentally scar.  
"Because it's your right as an American to butcher the English language."
This is my baby, please support her and get her into vanilla:

Posted Image

0_Zippy
    0_Zippy

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5196 posts
  • Minecraft: x_Zippy

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:19 AM

View Postdanthonywalker, on 28 February 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

Honestly I don't see the problem with some of you guys.
"Problem"? They're called "reasons" and "opinions", not "problems".

The Nether is a hellish area, it should be hard, I shouldn't be able to to just walk around the place because it's just way too safe for me to even care. I walk, oh no a Ghast is shooting at me, good thing it can't shoot for nothing and I can just stroll along and even stand still and it still won't be able to hit me.
Hard =/= Impossible. Neospector pretty much nailed that one. You're comparing the Ghast's difficulty with only your experiences. More people play the game than just you. Ghasts can be very destructive and won't stop until you kill them. Yes, they have low health and you can dodge their fireballs, but you can be in a position where dodging them can be tedious. Especially when multiple Ghasts target you and you can't get that good arrow shot in there.

I want to regret going to the Nether, but in return the Nether should offer a better reward for my troubles.
"I... I... I..." Yes, we know what you want, but that doesn't mean the idea is overall good to be added into everyone's game. "Better reward"? You mean other than Netherrack, Netherbrick, Netherbrick Fences, Ghast Tears, Blaze Rods needed for brewing stands, Blaze Powder, Magma Cream, Glowstone, Nether Warts, tons of lava and Nether Quartz?
Hey, you there. Yes, you! Are you thinking about posting a suggestion on the forums anytime soon? If so, please read this before doing so.

danthonywalker

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

View Post0_Zippy, on 28 February 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

"Problem"? They're called "reasons" and "opinions", not "problems".

I consider it a problem that the Nether is too easy. I know you don't like the word "I", but I'll address that last.

Hard =/= Impossible. Neospector pretty much nailed that one. You're comparing the Ghast's difficulty with only your experiences. More people play the game than just you. Ghasts can be very destructive and won't stop until you kill them. Yes, they have low health and you can dodge their fireballs, but you can be in a position where dodging them can be tedious. Especially when multiple Ghasts target you and you can't get that good arrow shot in there.

Which is why the scale-ability for Minecraft's difficulty should be more dynamic. As it is now, the differences between Easy, Medium, and Hard are pretty negligible, all of them seem exactly the same in terms of how "hard" they are. Easy should be for noobs, Normal for people who get the game, Hard for people who really want a challenge, those that want an all-around package.

"I... I... I..." Yes, we know what you want, but that doesn't mean the idea is overall good to be added into everyone's game. "Better reward"? You mean other than Netherrack, Netherbrick, Netherbrick Fences, Ghast Tears, Blaze Rods needed for brewing stands, Blaze Powder, Magma Cream, Glowstone, Nether Warts, tons of lava and Nether Quartz?

Yes, because a suggestion forum should not be about my opinion. I throw the word I around because it's a suggestion I want, because that's my opinion. That's the whole point for suggestions, for features that people want because it's their opinion that it should be included. MY opinion is that the game should be harder on hard difficulty, is my suggestion not worth anything? You can have a different opinion, but the way you're wording it's as if me using the word "I" is some sort of taboo.

As I've said better rewards. Didn't say there wasn't enough rewards, I think their should be better rewards, more rewards, but come at a higher price.

Posted Image

0_Zippy
    0_Zippy

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5196 posts
  • Minecraft: x_Zippy

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

View Postdanthonywalker, on 28 February 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

I consider it a problem that the Nether is too easy. I know you don't like the word "I", but I'll address that last.
Nothing wrong with that, but "Honestly I don't see the problem with some of you guys." comes off as "You don't agree that Ghasts need a buff? You guys have problems."

Which is why the scale-ability for Minecraft's difficulty should be more dynamic. As it is now, the differences between Easy, Medium, and Hard are pretty negligible, all of them seem exactly the same in terms of how "hard" they are. Easy should be for noobs, Normal for people who get the game, Hard for people who really want a challenge, those that want an all-around package.
Don't forget Hardcore Mode, where one little careless death rids everything you worked for. Slight tweaks for Ghasts on harder difficulties might be passable, but just giving Ghasts all/some of the buffs OP mentioned for all difficulties is just too much. No matter how hard or easy something is, players are just eventually gonna build up the experience and find new methods and workarounds for even the hardest things.

Yes, because a suggestion forum should not be about my opinion. I throw the word I around because it's a suggestion I want, because that's my opinion. That's the whole point for suggestions, for features that people want because it's their opinion that it should be included. MY opinion is that the game should be harder on hard difficulty, is my suggestion not worth anything? You can have a different opinion, but the way you're wording it's as if me using the word "I" is some sort of taboo.
I'm not saying personal opinions are crimes, but you won't go too far when trying to convince someone with just "This is how I play. This is how the game should be." In fact, I also happen to find Ghasts a little too easy, but still stand by my previous posts pointing to why the buffs shouldn't exist.
Hey, you there. Yes, you! Are you thinking about posting a suggestion on the forums anytime soon? If so, please read this before doing so.

danthonywalker

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

View Post0_Zippy, on 28 February 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

Don't forget Hardcore Mode, where one little careless death rids everything you worked for. Slight tweaks for Ghasts on harder difficulties might be passable, but just giving Ghasts all/some of the buffs OP mentioned for all difficulties is just too much. No matter how hard or easy something is, players are just eventually gonna build up the experience and find new methods and workarounds for even the hardest things.

Because I don't have anything to argue for your first to third arguments I'll just stick to this one. Reason why I hate doing Hardcore because it's not Minecraft anymore. Minecraft you mine and craft, build something that you could not have possibly thought you could. A careless death never seems to happen a stupid death is what happens to me all the time. I see the appeal to Hardcore, but I don't think it should be a difficulty up from Hard, it should have a difficulty of Hard, but with an added tension to the whole deal. Which is where I sorely think is wrong with the current system. When they added the fire spread change I was happy, because I thought it would be the start of changing up how difficulty works, but sadly that's not the case yet.

That's my only gripe about it, the overworld should be hard, sure, but the Nether and End should be very hard, Nether as it is a mid-game dimension and the End, well, for obvious reasons. As again, my opinion.

Posted Image

zaket22
    zaket22

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 883 posts
  • Minecraft: zaket22

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

Nether should be hard but I don't think Ghasts are the way to do it. I mean ghasts right now are pretty annoying. I rarely get their loot or XP. Even when you get a Ghast tear it's not very useful other than Regeneration potion.

Riolu
    Riolu

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1642 posts
  • Minecraft: RioluMCF

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

How about scarier noises, better accuracy, and their fire charge explosions should have a bigger radius in case they miss you.
Posted Image

WitherSnow
  • Location: In your mind.........in Ohio. Yes your mind is Ohio.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

How about smarter topics.
All joking aside the nether is hard enough.When i first went into the nether the ghasts terrified me.Can you imagine if they buffed them up? This is a bad idea. Also you cursed in your post.It was probobly not meant to offend so im not reporting but you should change it before someone does.
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1446183-dinner-plate/]Posted Image[/url]

DragonHeroBlaze
  • Minecraft: DragonHeroBlaze

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:12 AM

This is a troll thread right?
Ghasts are the most annoying mob to ever appear.
Not only does it annoy the crap out of you by moaning the whole time you are in the nether, there is almost always one spawned.
With the terrain of the Nether, it's difficult to get a good shot with a bow or even a good deflected fireball onto them.
Let's not forget how they screw the terrain over so badly and at the same time light it on fire.
I hate ghasts so much that if I so much as hear a ghast fire a shot, I turn it on peaceful and turn it back off to get rid of it.
There is rarely a time I actually am okay with those things assaulting me and that's when I get so horribly   ed off with them that I just want to rip each of their pixelated tentacles off and launch its own fireballs into its never-silent mouth.
Check out the spoiler for my weather suggestion and a list of other topics of mine I think you should see.

Bumber
    Bumber

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5000 posts
  • Location: Loafing around like bread and growing binary trees.
  • Minecraft: rwilliams1990

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

I think they should:
  • Increase accuracy
  • Decrease range (it's just annoying and the player has plenty of time to move,) but back away when too close
  • Increase health
  • Keep same damage and radius (the ground lighting on fire already gives them strategic danger)
  • Possible regen, but keep it slow
Edit:

View Postducky215, on 28 February 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

I've never ever had a problem with Ghasts. I think if the speed of the fireball was increased they would be much more deadly, because then their fireballs would actually hit close to where the player is, rather than where they were 15 seconds ago.
This also. But not too fast or it might become imposible to deflect them.
Spoiler:
I lurk sometimes. I don't post anymore.

ducky215
    ducky215

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

I've never ever had a problem with Ghasts. I think if the speed of the fireball was increased they would be much more deadly, because then their fireballs would actually hit close to where the player is, rather than where they were 15 seconds ago.

The speed increase is basically accuracy. Also, I like that they die from one of their own hits.
Here is my signature. If you like it, I am amazed.

Mathy
    Mathy

Matherator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 3536 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

View PostMordikins, on 28 February 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

You guys must all be super-leet players if you're not afraid of Ghasts. I personally wet my pants a little whenever I hear their awful baby-squeal noises.

I think ghasts should be accurate. That's all though.

Partial support.

Fermat said:

I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this, which this margin is too small to contain.

Psycodragons

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

View PostMathy, on 28 February 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

I think ghasts should be accurate. That's all though.

Partial support.
Accurate?
Accurate to what? They aren't straying from a previous inspiration, they are a unique entity. You can't have a unique being be inaccurate.
Unless I misunderstood your post.
Pokemon Fangirl
Posted Image
Friend Code: 4914-4107-3147 Be sure to PM me! Safari Type: Electric Pokemon: Pacurichu, Stunfisk, (Hidden) Manectric
Now with dapper new 3D model. Note: I may take a while to get around to a PM.

WitherSnow
  • Location: In your mind.........in Ohio. Yes your mind is Ohio.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

What about a super hard mode where all of the mobs have really powerful buffs
Creeper
Explodes faster and has a range of 10 blocks
Spiders
Can leap 4 blocks high and can also multiply
Zombies
Faster can teleport behind you
Skeleton
Shoots arows at an incredible speed and enchantments
Slime
can cause earthquakes and explodes into tinier slimes when beaten.
Ghast
Tracks you and is super fast and fires 3/8 fires at once
Pigmen
Auto agro
Silverfish multiply and explode
Ender men
Auto agro
Blaze
Shoots out 11/25 fires at once.Teleports and explodes
Magma cube
Will spout lava 80 percent of the time.
Bats
Teleport,explode,hostile multiplies
Witch
Throws 10/50 potions at once teleports
All passive mobs teleport explode multiply and attack you.
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1446183-dinner-plate/]Posted Image[/url]