iPeer

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • Minecraft: iPeer
  • Xbox:iPeer

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:04 AM

POPULAR

Please only report bugs if you are running the latest version of WMLL. Older versions are not supported and will not be updated for bug fixes!

Update Times (UK Date):
Thread Last Updated: 21/10/13
Mod Last Updated: 21/10/13

When Minecraft is updated, before you ask "DOES THIS WORK WITH <version>?!" Please read the top few lines of this thread. Thank you.

WMLL test releases will no longer be publicly announced. If you would like to help test future versions of WMLL, please go to WMLL's subreddit on Reddit.

NEVER download this mod from an adf.ly link (I will never use ad.fly links) or anywhere other than the following locations: Links found on minecraftdl.com are NOT endorsed, added or even allowed (they never asked for permission and they link incorrectly) by me. While they're still using my links, I would recommend avoiding their downloads just to be sure.
To the MinecraftDL admin people: I'd appreciate it if you'd remove my mod from your website, and in future, get permission before listing it. I have been in contact with you on this matter. I would appreciate you contact me back via private message or twitter.

If you find WMLL hosted anywhere that is not listed above, it was not uploaded by me and has probably been modified in some way. If the download link is a Dropbox link, check the FAQ to see how you can tell if it's MY link. If you have downloaded WMLL from somewhere other than the sites listed, I recommend you scan your computer for viruses, change your Minecraft password and re-download the clean Minecraft files. You may then reinstall WMLL by downloading it from a site listed above and following the usual instructions. I reserve the right to add and/or remove sites to and from this list at any time without prior notice.

If you wish to link to this mod, please link to this thread. Do NOT upload this mod anywhere else without my permission.

This simple mod makes the game display the light level of the current block you're standing on in the top left corner of the game screen. Very handy to see if your base is lit enough, or if your trees and/or crops can grow, it can even help you if you're trying to make an animal or mob farm!

Please do NOT email me with requests, instead please send me a PM or post a reply to this thread as I'd like to be able to discuss the suggestion and possibly even share test releases with you! If you're requesting permission to include WMLL in a mod pack - private or otherwise - a PM is the best option.

This mod works on both SSP and SMP.
WMLL will never corrupt your save files*, even if Minecraft is updated!

* Only applies to Stable releases. Test releases may cause crashes which can inadvertently cause corruption or other damage. I am not liable for any damage incurred to (including but not limited to) your Minecraft installation, Minecraft World or Computer from using test releases of WMLL, you use them at your own risk.

Slime chunk detection code was added with help from the formula here.

Download | Known Issues | Videos | Install Instructions | FAQ | Known Compatibility Issues | Custom String Parameters | WMLL on Reddit

Class(es) modified:

Minecraft 1.6.4: avj.class, avy.class*

Minecraft 1.6.2: avg.class, avv.class*

Minecraft 1.6.1: ava.class, avp.class*

Minecraft 1.6.1 Pre-release: auz.class, avo.class*

Minecraft 1.5.1 (pre)/1.5.1/1.5.2: aww.class, axl.class*

Minecraft 1.5 (pre)/1.5: awq.class, axf.class*

13w02a/13w02b Snapshot: aus.class, avg.class*

13w01a/13w01b Snapshot: aue.class aus.class*

Spoiler:

Classes marked with an asterisk (*) are optional and do not need to be installed for the mod to work.

(expand this spoiler for images)

Spoiler:

Known Issues

For a list off issues, please see WMLL's issues page on GitHub.

Slime detection is disabled by default on SMP (and SSP as of 12w18a) due to the seed ALWAYS being reported as 0 on servers. Please do not report this as an issue, as it is out of my control.

Videos
Gameplay (outdated) (Silent, English)

Gameplay (English)

Gameplay (German/Deutch)

Gameplay (English)

Gameplay (English)

Gameplay (English) [Starts at 11:40]

Latest Release

Grab the latest Stable release (1.6.2)

Grab the last Stable release for the last Minecraft version (1.5.2)

Grab the latest test release (1.6.4)

If Dropbox is blocked in your country, you may be able to download WMLL from here. Which is being kindly hosted by sjjklh (with permission)

Snapshot Releases

Source Code

Source code is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license

Posted Image

Installation

• Download the latest version of WMLL for the Minecraft version you are using (remember where you saved it!)
  • Open the file you just downloaded with 7-zip (OS X: EZ 7z/7zX, Linux: p7zip).
  • Backup your current minecraft.jar
    • If installing on Minecraft 1.5.2 or earlier, this will be located in %appdata%\.minecraft\bin.
    • If installing on 1.6 or later, it will be %appdata%\.minecraft\versions\<minecraftversion>\<minecraftversion>.jar
      • This will differ if you change the "game directory" option in the launcher.
  • Open the minecraft.jar using an archiving program (preferably one listed above).
  • If you're using WMLL with other mods, check that WMLL is compatible with it. If it is, install WMLL after those mods. If it's not, conitnue to install WMLL in no specific order, bearing in mind that you may experience issues when using WMLL.
  • Drag & drop all the class files and folders from the archive file into minecraft.jar
  • Delete the META-INF folder
  • Close WinRAR/7Zip.
  • Load Minecraft!
  • Enjoy!

FAQ

Q: After I install WMLL, when I open Minecraft I get a crash screen reporting "java.lang.SecurityException: SHA-256 digest error for <class>". How do I fix this?
A: Delete the META-INF folder.

Q: I have installed WMLL but it doesn't show up!?
A: Make sure you copied ALL class files over from the archive.

Q: What do the different colours mean?
A:
  • Green: The item/plant/mob/etc. can grow/spawn here.
  • Red: Opposite of Green.
  • Yellow:
    • Animals: Animals can spawn here, but the light level is not above 8. (This is redundant in newer MC versions as animals don't spawn randomly)
    • Slimes: You are in a slime spawning chunk, but your y coordinate is not below y16 (in releases after 1.8.1 this becomes y40).
Q: How do I change which key toggles the information under the light level?
A: If you have never changed the binding before, you can change it by pressing LCTRL + F4. You will then see a configuration window. From here you can change which key cycles the output.

Q: Do I have to change the key binding to toggle the data?
A: No. The default key binding is F4. You only need change it if you want to, or if it interferes with something else.

Q: What if I have forgotten what key I bound it to?
A: You can return WMLL to the default settings by navigating to your Minecraft directory (%appdata%\.minecraft on Windows) and deleting the file WMLL.properties (If you delete it while Minecraft is open, you may need to restart it in order for WMLL to revert to the default settings).

Q: Why are the dates at the top of the thread in italics?
A: If the dates at the top of the thread are in italics, it means the last update was related to a pre-release or a snapshot.

Q: I found a link to WMLL on another website, the file is hosted on dropbox. How do I tell if this is the safe version?
A: Dropbox shows UserID numbers in the download link, you can check their link for my UserID. The link structure is as follows: dl.dropbox.com/u/UserID/somefile.txt. If the UserID in the link is NOT 21719562, it is not the safe link.

Known Compatibility Issues
What's My Light Level is known to have compatibility issues with the following mods:
  • Rei's Minimap (Built-in compatibility as of build 256PR1 (Test 247))
  • Zan's Minimap (Built-in compatibility as of Test 781)
  • Aliens Motion Tracker (Built-in compatibility as of Test 781)
  • "Village Info" by trunkz (Compatibility built-in to Village Info; Install regular Village info, then install WMLL and finally install the WMLL Compatible class)

Custom Output Parameters

%x%, %y%, %z%: Displays the players' current possition on that axis.
%fx%, %fy%, %fz%: Displays the players' current coordinates floored (rounded down).
%cx%, %cy%, %cz%: Displays the players' current coordinates ceiled (rounded up).
%feety%: Displays the players' feet's current coorindates.
%fullcompass%: Displays all the players' coordinates as well as their heading.
%biome%: Displays the current biome the player is in.
%heading%: Displays the players' current heading.
%fps%: Displays the FPS/Chunk Updates line that is found on the F3 screen.
%fps2%: As above, without Chunk updates.
%cu%: Displays the current number of Chunk Updates.
%sunlight%: Displays the current Sky lighting value for the block you're stood on.
%skylight: Superseded by the above, exists purely for backwards compatibility.
%blocklight%: Displays the block light value for the block you are stood on.
%rawlight%: Displays the raw light value for the block you're stood on.
%lightlevel%: Displays the actual light level for the block you are stood on.
%clock%: Displays the time of day in 24-hour format.
%12hclock: As above, only in 12-hour format.
%chunkx%, %chunkz%: Displays the respective coordinate of the chunk the player is currently in.
%seed%: Displays the current world's seed if set.
%ind:type%: Displays the indicator for the specified type.
Where type is: mobs, animals, slimes, crops, trees, grass or mushrooms
%localtime%: Displays your current local time in 24-hour format.
%12hlocaltime%: Same as %localtime% only in 12-hour format.
%entities%: Displays how many entities are in the players' viewport.
%fullentities%: Same as above but also shows the total number of entities around the player.
%count:<item name, id or internal item name>%: Displays how many of the specified item matched by the data that the player is carrying.

Using \n will allow the user to split their output over multiple lines.
Using \t will create an indent at the start of that line.
Colours are also supported, using &<colourid or formattingcode> before your text, will apply formatting to text after the code(s). For example: &4Hello World! would produce the text "Hello World!" in red. For a complete list of formatting codes, see this wiki page. Remember to use the ampersand (&) instead of the section sign (ยง)!

On the topic of donations...

View PostiPeer, on 02 March 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

While I appreciate the gesture, I don't feel comfortable taking people's money. Even if they want to give it to me. WMLL is a project I continue to develop because I enjoy doing so. I feel that receiving payment would make it feel too much like a job. The fact that people continue using and supporting the mod is enough "payment" for me. Posted Image

If you absolutely must give me something, I guess there's always my Steam wishlist. I'd prefer that you keep your money, however.
Youtube: TheiPeer or Chris Wignall - Reddit: iPeer - Twitter: @iPeer - Steam: iPeer - I hope you're seeing a trend here...

Register or log in to remove.

Piecejr
    Piecejr

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 845 posts
  • Minecraft: Piecejr

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:09 AM

Oh god thats awesome.
Posted Image

Citnarf
    Citnarf

Carpenter

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

Nice! This will come in handy I'm sure.
Posted Image

iPeer
    iPeer

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:28 AM

I've updated this mod. You can now hold down the F4 key and it will display some information that you will (hopefully) find useful. See OP for download links & details. :SSSS:
Youtube: TheiPeer or Chris Wignall - Reddit: iPeer - Twitter: @iPeer - Steam: iPeer - I hope you're seeing a trend here...

Aleks1111

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

it works with
SDK'd ModLoader Beta 1.2_02v2
mod_scubadiving Beta 1.2
mod_Chests Beta 1,2
mod_Elevator 1.2.4
mod_SdkFps 1.2_02v2
mod_SdkGrapplingHook 1.2_02v2
mod_SdkGuns 1.2_02v2
mod_SdkUtility 1.2_02v2
mod_AIManager v2.15 for MC b1.2_02
mod_Builders 0.53 Beta 1.2_02

In minecraft beta 1.2_02
Mod_chests beta 1.2 is more chest types

DrizzlePistol

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

I think i`v encountered a bug because my light level is over 9000!!!!!  :Notch:

Muhahaz
    Muhahaz

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Posted Image

A bug, when standing on a stair, I get '0' light level.

Vastator1 said:

Wervenyt said:

Clothing is SO overrated... I can't wait for the day of naked schools...

maybe

that would make the lunch line pretty uncomfortable.

Aleks1111

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

now  ;) can see lights

Dromy
    Dromy

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • Minecraft: Dromy

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

I don't get it.
It wont let me delete the META-INF folder.
My laptop is not letting me delete it.
What is going on?
Posted Image

HappySpleen

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

Dose not work with Improved chat

iPeer
    iPeer

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

Muhahaz said:

-snip-

Thanks. I'll look into it.

iPeer
    iPeer

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

Updated to 1.11, (hopefully) fixed light levels displaying "0" when standing on stairs next to a wall. Also tweaked the code checking the block the user is standing on, making it more accurate. See OP for additional details & download links. :iapprove:

Xeddicus_Xor

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

iPeer said:

Updated to 1.11, (hopefully) fixed light levels displaying "0" when standing on stairs next to a wall. Also tweaked the code checking the block the user is standing on, making it more accurate. See OP for additional details & download links. :Diamond:

I was just posting another bug with it displaying 0 next to walls, but the stair fix fixed that as well. Good timing. :SSSS:

iPeer
    iPeer

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:24 AM

Updated (again). This fixes an error causing light levels to be incorrectly calculated. Sorry for all the updates, I really should test my stuff more thoroughly, hopefully this'll be the last update until Beta 1.3 compatibility.

I've also put the class file in my dropbox, so you no longer need to bother with unzipping a 7z/rar/zip file just to install a small update.

Barhandar

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:47 AM

Seems like ModLoader uses pe.class too.

msmit71
    msmit71

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:49 AM

iPeer said:

Muhahaz said:

-snip-

Thanks. I'll look into it.
I believe the problem is when the player is standing on a stair or half block, the game thinks that they are standing inside the block.

Ferus Grim
  • Minecraft: ferusgrim

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:06 AM

DrizzlePistol said:

I think i`v encountered a bug because my light level is over 9000!!!!!  :iapprove:
This made me 'lol', much more than should be healthy for a person.

Great mod, iPeer!

Posted Image

Xeddicus_Xor

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:59 AM

Is this working with 1.3? Edit: Just tried it and nope, nothing shows up.

Wizeon
    Wizeon

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:41 AM

And it still shows the light level of an block besides you, not the one under you.

MinerReg
    MinerReg

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

Dromy said:

I don't get it.
It wont let me delete the META-INF folder.
My laptop is not letting me delete it.
What is going on?

Open your Task-Manager and close the "javaw.exe" process.