Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Creepypasta in skyrim


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1

BEASTOKING
  • Location: in your mind

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

So, if youve read the creepypasta "JVK.esp" then you know its quite a f*cked up morrowind mod, and after playing skyrim, ive learned there are things from it in skyrim, as if bethesda quoted it.

For instance, in jvk.esp, the npc's simply said "watch the sky..", and the town guards in skyrim often say "watch the skys, traveller"

In jvk.esp, there was a man in pitchblack dark brotherhood armor, that had arms and legs like a spiders, and scurried around wall and ceilings after you die in the game, and in skyrim the dark brotherhood has a pet spider.

In jvk, there was a giant dwarven dungeun, called the citadel, that went from a dwarven ruin to a giant cave, and back to a dwarven ruin, much like blackreach in skyrim, both of which very hard if not lvl 20, and in jvk, the guy playing had to wait on some space event, and in skyrim you solve a puzzle in which you align stars.

And finally, ive heard rumors that when atacked by the dark brotherhood random npc, he or she may "scream", just like the spiderlike man in jvk.esp.

Anyone else ever notice this? Is it easteregg, or coincidence, who knows.
Seven days...

Register or log in to remove.

#2

BC_Programming
  • Location: Nanaimo, BC
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

You've been busy:
http://skyrimforums....n-skyrim.20660/

Actual thing:
http://inuscreepystu...vk1166zesp.html

Note that there never was a Morrowind Modification that did any of these things. And there is of course the whole inconsistency where Morrowind had no DOS version, so the suggestion by the "magic poster that deleted their account right after sending it" to run the mod in DOSBox is just retarded to anybody with a basic understanding of computers.

Also, skimming the rest of it, I don't see how anybody could think it's "Creepy" it's obviously entirely fictitious and also extremely stupid.

View PostBEASTOKING, on 26 February 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

For instance, in jvk.esp, the npc's simply said "watch the sky..", and the town guards in skyrim often say "watch the skys, traveller"
of course, unlike the "jvk.esp" mod- Skyrim actually exists. I highly doubt Bethesda had much influence from a bunch of cognitively debilitated people making up stupid stories. Some might point to the "post date" of the blog post I link. Quick research also shows that the same site seems to exclusively contain made up stories like this.

But it's fake. the wayback machine archive.org doesn't have any snapshots of that site from before April 2012, so in all likelihood the page didn't exist before then, and that is long after Skyrim was even released. The page itself doesn't actually have a archive on Archive.org, which means it's unlikely that post is more than a few days old. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you wrote it. It's reasonable to assume based on the lack of any archived copies at all that the creepypasta that alleges the existence of said Morrowind mod did not exist before Skyrim, therefore I find it difficult to see how Bethesda was "quoting it"; the creepypasta was obviously engineered to have similarities to Skyrim so that people would create idiotic conclusions, ideal targets being of course people with no basic understanding of computers or the ability to do simple research on sources they can find through google.

TL;DR:

-Mod in question does not exist.
OP here is probably author of the blog I found. Post date on blog says 2010. earliest reference to the URL I can find on google is in December 2011, which is after Skyrim was released. The only date that refers to a date earlier than Skyrim's release is the one on the blog post itself. Blogger and Blogspot both provide capabilities to change the listed post date of an entry. Behold:

http://bc-programmin...eetings-future/

(The Edited date is still accurate, of course; but I could remove that entirely if I desired. However, I am not in the business of having to mislead people as to when I posted something, so I'm not about to do that. Interesting to note the blog source I found doesn't show "Edited By" dates.

#3

BEASTOKING
  • Location: in your mind

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

While i admit, youve done quite the amount of research, ive looked into this alot myself, i had nothing to do with the actual creeptypasta, just found it last week.
But, the mod the pasta reffered to was hosted on a couple websites in 2008, and was taken down soon after, and after finding a few downloads for the mod like these
http://www.mediafire...3avesbeo5ctrvb2

http://www.gamefaqs....62403895?page=1

im not ruling anything about the mod fake just yet.

hmm, now that i think about it, im going to buy morrowind to see if i can run this mod, see if this download is legit.
Seven days...

#4

ChampionRed
  • Location: Kanto, Top of the Indigo Plateau

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Well most Creepypastas are just made up.

Posted Image


#5

BC_Programming
  • Location: Nanaimo, BC
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostBEASTOKING, on 26 February 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

But, the mod the pasta reffered to was hosted on a couple websites in 2008, and was taken down soon after, and after finding a few downloads for the mod like these
http://www.mediafire...3avesbeo5ctrvb2

http://www.gamefaqs....62403895?page=1
I already have morrowind, but I'm not running this mod- I know already it won't work. the .esp file has the following header:

TES4

This marks it as a Oblivion Mod- not a Morrowind mod. Or is it? Fallout 3 was based on the Oblivion engine at the time. Which explains why the file also references Fallout3.esm as it's "master" data file.

The mod also references "HairPack.esm" as a master mod, which is itself a mod for Fallout 3.

I found out what mod this actually is: this .esp file is actually a 'Patch' mod for the above 'HairPack':

http://fallout3.nexu...s.com/mods/5657 Exact same size, exact same file contents. Well, presumably- I cannot actually download it.

The download contains another file, "core.lvl". I opened it in a hex editor, and it has a lot of strings that appear to reference star wars. I copied a quote from the file "When we arrived on Kashyyyk, things were just as bas as we'd feared". This quote is from Star Wars: Battlefront, another game. This core.lvl file is from that game, and has nothing to do with the other files.

mission.lvl contains a few strings that appear to be function names. I googled one of them- "ScriptCB_GetCTFMaxTimeLimit" and got only 5 hits, all of which involved Star Wars Battlefront 2. I think this is enough to base a conclusion that the file- perhaps all of them aside the esp- are from that game. I do not know specifically what file, but it seems to be one of the data files used for Scripting; I believe it to be a sort of bytecode or something; but I'm fairly sure it's from BF2.


in assassin/archive/imp.lvl, we find some other interesting strings. Right near the top is one that is a rather dead giveaway:

"imp_1st_inf_stormtrooper_hands"

Also, some further research on the .lvl files in the archive; they all start with ucfb; I found this to be something that is done for Star Wars Battlefront 2 level files, as documented here.





#6

BEASTOKING
  • Location: in your mind

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostBC_Programming, on 26 February 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

I already have morrowind, but I'm not running this mod- I know already it won't work. the .esp file has the following header:

TES4

This marks it as a Oblivion Mod- not a Morrowind mod. Or is it? Fallout 3 was based on the Oblivion engine at the time. Which explains why the file also references Fallout3.esm as it's "master" data file.

The mod also references "HairPack.esm" as a master mod, which is itself a mod for Fallout 3.

I found out what mod this actually is: this .esp file is actually a 'Patch' mod for the above 'HairPack':

http://fallout3.nexu...s.com/mods/5657 Exact same size, exact same file contents. Well, presumably- I cannot actually download it.

The download contains another file, "core.lvl". I opened it in a hex editor, and it has a lot of strings that appear to reference star wars. I copied a quote from the file "When we arrived on Kashyyyk, things were just as bas as we'd feared". This quote is from Star Wars: Battlefront, another game. This core.lvl file is from that game, and has nothing to do with the other files.

mission.lvl contains a few strings that appear to be function names. I googled one of them- "ScriptCB_GetCTFMaxTimeLimit" and got only 5 hits, all of which involved Star Wars Battlefront 2. I think this is enough to base a conclusion that the file- perhaps all of them aside the esp- are from that game. I do not know specifically what file, but it seems to be one of the data files used for Scripting; I believe it to be a sort of bytecode or something; but I'm fairly sure it's from BF2.


in assassin/archive/imp.lvl, we find some other interesting strings. Right near the top is one that is a rather dead giveaway:

"imp_1st_inf_stormtrooper_hands"

Also, some further research on the .lvl files in the archive; they all start with ucfb; I found this to be something that is done for Star Wars Battlefront 2 level files, as documented here.

True, but i still see a bit of proof, and a bit of disproof, it can go both ways, and there are people who "played"the mod.And several differant images, and when taking a look through the folder, you find some of the same sounds in the mod.
Im going to have to try and run it for myself, but even if it does not work, does not mean it never existed in the first place.
Seven days...

#7

BC_Programming
  • Location: Nanaimo, BC
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostBEASTOKING, on 26 February 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

True, but i still see a bit of proof, and a bit of disproof, it can go both ways, and there are people who "played"the mod.And several differant images, and when taking a look through the folder, you find some of the same sounds in the mod.
Im going to have to try and run it for myself, but even if it does not work, does not mean it never existed in the first place.
There is no proof the mod existed. I can't find any videos, of gameplay. All the videos seem to use the same images. None depict actual gameplay; instead they generally show one or two images and then play all the files from the sounds folder in alphabetical order. It's a hoax and never existed.

Seriously. I just proved that the files in the archive were just a bunch of random files taken from Battlefront 2 and a Fallout 3 mod- and you are going to try and run it anyway.

My only question is... how? Morrowind cannot run on DOSBox because it's a Windows game- so what drug are the people posting those instructions on? These files are not compatible with Morrowind, and none of them will work with it- they are either for a newer engine (in the case of the Fallout 3 mod) or a completely different game.

The sound files are probably just taken from another game. My suspicion is currently on 'slender'.

#8

BEASTOKING
  • Location: in your mind

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostBC_Programming, on 26 February 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

There is no proof the mod existed. I can't find any videos, of gameplay. All the videos seem to use the same images. None depict actual gameplay; instead they generally show one or two images and then play all the files from the sounds folder in alphabetical order. It's a hoax and never existed.

Seriously. I just proved that the files in the archive were just a bunch of random files taken from Battlefront 2 and a Fallout 3 mod- and you are going to try and run it anyway.

My only question is... how? Morrowind cannot run on DOSBox because it's a Windows game- so what drug are the people posting those instructions on? These files are not compatible with Morrowind, and none of them will work with it- they are either for a newer engine (in the case of the Fallout 3 mod) or a completely different game.

The sound files are probably just taken from another game. My suspicion is currently on 'slender'.
I am aware of this, i just cant stand saying its fake without trying it myself, someone on youtube in a comment mentioned having used the mod, and all it did was a darker sky and they say "watch the skys", im going to try and message him and ask how he installed it, or if he is trolling, but i will still try it out, and since it has fallout files, ill try it on that too. What do i have to lose?

EDIT: Installed it into both games, crashed fallout, and only made morrowind darker.
So either its a myth, i installed it wrong, or i got a sh!t copy.
Seven days...

#9

CycloneX5
  • Location: Errywhere
  • Minecraft: CycloneX5

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

View PostBEASTOKING, on 27 February 2013 - 12:45 AM, said:

Installed it into both games, crashed fallout, and only made morrowind darker.
So either its a myth, i installed it wrong, or i got a sh!t copy.

It's the first one...
Posted Image

#10

BEASTOKING
  • Location: in your mind

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

View PostCycloneX5, on 27 February 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

It's the first one...
I know it probably is at this point, but i didnt even use morrowind script extender (dont know if that exists) or dosbox, so ill try again, it just keeps bugging me for some reason.
Seven days...

#11

BC_Programming
  • Location: Nanaimo, BC
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostBEASTOKING, on 26 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Installed it into both games, crashed fallout, and only made morrowind darker.
It doesn't do anything to morrowind. Morrowind does not load the esp files- it sees a header it doesn't recognize and ignores the data. and the other files are not something in actually enumerates. Nothing changed.

It doesn't work with Fallout 3 on it's own because it's a patch for another Mod that you need to have installed, which it references as the 'Master' mod. (hairpack.esm).

It's worth noting that a Patch (esp) file wouldn't be able to add the alleged functionality. It would need to either be an esm file (standalone/main mod) or a core component file (.bsa) to make the changes described; particularly adding a new environment, which requires the use of a .bsa. It also makes quite a number of additions that rival Tribunal and Bloodmoon, and yet despite it's far-reaching scope, there are absolutely no videos of gameplay, only a few screenshots that are inexplicably low resolution. This is really all the information a sane person needs to determine that it's fake.

Nonetheless, since you have Morrowind, How about something that does work? I highly recommend the MGSO (Morrowind Graphics System Overhaul). It cranks the Visuals of the games up to something on par visually with Skyrim in many ways. The gameplay is primarily unchanged, with only a few UI tweaks and fixes here and there.

Morrowind Script Extender adds Script functions to the scripting language that is used by Plugins and mods. Of course since none of the data is a script that is run by the game, it wouldn't have any effect. DOSBox is a program for emulating a DOS-based environment. I use it, for example, to play Morrowind's predecessor, Daggerfall.

Now, one thing that is rather important to run games in DOS is for them to run on DOS; Morrowind, However, was designed for Windows 9x and XP; it is a Windows Application and you cannot run it under DOS. This makes the suggestions and information on this "mod" in question hilarious to anybody who knows what they are doing. It's on par with the old standby of telling people to "download more RAM".



#12

BEASTOKING
  • Location: in your mind

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostBC_Programming, on 28 February 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

It doesn't do anything to morrowind. Morrowind does not load the esp files- it sees a header it doesn't recognize and ignores the data. and the other files are not something in actually enumerates. Nothing changed.

It doesn't work with Fallout 3 on it's own because it's a patch for another Mod that you need to have installed, which it references as the 'Master' mod. (hairpack.esm).

It's worth noting that a Patch (esp) file wouldn't be able to add the alleged functionality. It would need to either be an esm file (standalone/main mod) or a core component file (.bsa) to make the changes described; particularly adding a new environment, which requires the use of a .bsa. It also makes quite a number of additions that rival Tribunal and Bloodmoon, and yet despite it's far-reaching scope, there are absolutely no videos of gameplay, only a few screenshots that are inexplicably low resolution. This is really all the information a sane person needs to determine that it's fake.

Nonetheless, since you have Morrowind, How about something that does work? I highly recommend the MGSO (Morrowind Graphics System Overhaul). It cranks the Visuals of the games up to something on par visually with Skyrim in many ways. The gameplay is primarily unchanged, with only a few UI tweaks and fixes here and there.

Morrowind Script Extender adds Script functions to the scripting language that is used by Plugins and mods. Of course since none of the data is a script that is run by the game, it wouldn't have any effect. DOSBox is a program for emulating a DOS-based environment. I use it, for example, to play Morrowind's predecessor, Daggerfall.

Now, one thing that is rather important to run games in DOS is for them to run on DOS; Morrowind, However, was designed for Windows 9x and XP; it is a Windows Application and you cannot run it under DOS. This makes the suggestions and information on this "mod" in question hilarious to anybody who knows what they are doing. It's on par with the old standby of telling people to "download more RAM".
Yeah, i realy dont think this is going to work, tried installing it 3  times and nothing. So im just going to delete the file.
Atleast i tried tor use it, i would never stop thinking about it if i didnt try it myself.
Seven days...

#13

Staonopao
  • Location: Sogndal, Norway
  • Minecraft: staonopao

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

If there's more than one or two similarities, it's quite possible that the devs have read the creepypasta story and decided to add a couple elements as easter eggs.

As for the creepypasta itself, I see absolutely no reason to believe it's a true story. It reads exactly like all the other creepypasta stories like it, including cliché details like people covertly contacting the protagonist when there's no apparent reason to do so, launching the game to find it messed up in "unexpected" ways, the game gradually going from slightly weird to terrifying, etc.

Then again, even if the mod was genuine there'd be no reason to believe it was anything but just that, a mod like any other. Oblivion was a heavily moddable game.
Read this before suggesting a new mob! For really, do it!
I support gas pockets in MC (see thread in Suggestions)!