• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Mystical Islands - V2 Now Up! (1.3 compatible, no crashes)

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Seibai
    Seibai

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

Finally finished V2 of this. Includes a complete overhaul of the engine and a bunch of new features.

Download V2 here:
http://cid-f4a929c20...GeneratorV2.zip

This one generates a 3D archipelago of underwater (or, optionally, flying) islands, each in its own bubble of air. It seems long ago some sea elves decided they liked trees and built some magical lamps to hold the water away from their secret underwater groves. Or something like that. The photos below should give you a better idea.

Posted Image
Looking out from an underwater island.

Posted Image
Flying islands.

Posted Image
An underwater sunset.

This generator actually has a few options you can set. The islands can be underwater, flying, or half and half. the stars can be present or left out, and the lamps can be left out if it's not an undewater map (underwater maps are pitch black without the lamps).

All of the ores are present, though in small maps there might not be more than a handful of diamonds. This is the fastest generator I've written yet though. A 256x256 map takes less than an hour on my system.

Notes:
1. I'll post instructions on how to download and use the generator following this post. It's pretty much the same as all of my other generators though.
2. Flying island maps take longer than normal to load in MineCraft, but work fine once they've loaded.
3. Flying island maps in SMP require somewhat more server processing power than a normal MC map, but seem to work ok if you're running the server from decent hardware.
4. Underwater maps have an issue in SMP where the server will move your spawn to somewhere above the island you're supposed to start on. This can lead to drowning unless you immediately swim to the nearest island. They also take even more processing power than the flying island maps.
5. All forms of the map work fine in single player mode.

Updates in V2:
1. Now generates maps in region file format - no need to convert.
2. Uses .net compression instead of spawning gzip processes. No more random crashes, and you can do something else while it runs without worry :(
3. New parameters let you control island radius and density. Make rare, huge islands, or lots of tiny ones, or both.
4. Now includes gravel (so portals are now possible, at least in maps with water).
5. Better ore stratification
6. Accurate file size and timestamp metadata (not a big deal, but it was bugging me)

Here's an example of the sort of map you can generate by fiddling with the new parameters:

Posted Image

The old generator and sample maps can still be downloaded here: http://cid-f4a929c20...s Map Generator
I make map generators :)

Register or log in to remove.

Seibai
    Seibai

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

To download:
1. Follow the link to http://cid-f4a929c20...s Map Generator
2. Hover over "MysticalIslandsMapGenerator" and click the "Download" link when it appears.

To run the generator:
1. Unzip "MysticalIslandsMapGenerator.zip" to its own folder, you should have Mystical Islands Map Generator.exe next to a folder named GZip which contains GZip.exe Important: the generator will not work unless it's in the same folder as a folder named "GZip" containing "GZip.exe"
2. Run Mystical Islands Map Generator.exe
3. Enter a map name (for instance "World1") and then a size in chunks. the size will be the length of the side of the map, so if you enter 16, you'll get a 256x256 block map.
4. Press the number keys corresponding to the map options you want from each selection.
5. Once the genreator is done (it will say "press enter to exit") there should be a folder in the same directory as the .exe with the name you gave in step 3.
6. Copy this new folder to %appdata%\.minecraft\saves (or wherever the save files for Minecraft are kept on your system). Minecraft will only recognize the file if it's name World1, World2, World3, World4, or World5.
7. Run Minecraft and select the world that corresponds with the folder name to play.

Seibai
    Seibai

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

It will likely be a while before my next generator. I expect I'll update my current ones for the new map format when it comes out, and the one I'm wanting to work on next is much more complicated than any of the ones I've done so far. Hopefully it will be worth waiting for though :iapprove:

If you like this generator, you might check out the others I've made:

Forest Map Generator http://www.minecraft...?f=1022&t=78726
Planetoids Map Generator http://www.minecraft...?f=1022&t=89218
Golden Tunnels Map Generator http://www.minecraft...f=1022&t=104678
Primordial Desert Map Generator http://www.minecraft...f=1022&t=160139

king_llama

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

NICE!

put all your generators in your signature though.
I don't have anything to put here.

assasseon

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:06 AM

Hey, it says it stopped working and all I did was a 64 side length. Should I wait? I am running Win7 OS and I have run all your other gens without a problem. I did half and half, lamps, stairs. Any clue?

Edit: Wait, I think its still going. Yep. Sorry if i didn't read your whole OP, but it usually works fine. Nice job!

Everyone, let it still run if it tells you it has stopped working.
Posted Image
Posted Image [SSSS]
"I don't care where Leonardo DaVinci got his materials, the Mona Lisa is still a legendary piece of art."

Seibai
    Seibai

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:11 AM

What's the last thing it outputs before it fails? Does it finish defining islands? That combination works fine for me.

Generally, the problem people seem to have with these generators is that they must have the GZip folder in the same folder as the generator .exe, otherwise it fails when it tries to call into it to compress the chunks.

Hmm... Possibly I should write in an error handler for that case that tells the user what to do.

Edit: Ahh, ok, good.

assasseon

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:17 AM

Seibai said:

What's the last thing it outputs before it fails? Does it finish defining islands? That combination works fine for me.

Generally, the problem people seem to have with these generators is that they must have the GZip folder in the same folder as the generator .exe, otherwise it fails when it tries to call into it to compress the chunks.

Hmm... Possibly I should write in an error handler for that case that tells the user what to do.

Edit: Ahh, ok, good.
Yea it'll go to saving and then it says it stops working, but it does take a LOT longer than usual. Just reached 98.375%. Weird, it now says 'Waiting on file compression: 4097 files to compress.' and my GZip is in the same directory as the folder. All I did was extract it to the .minecraft folder, exactly where my Primodial map gen is at, and that worked fine.

Edit: For some odd reason, I can't use the lamps on Half and Half. Do you have FancyPack in the gen or something?

Edit2: I think I just became the worlds stupidest MineCraft player. I had it open while generating a map. This gen must be very taxing as its taking forever. It makes 1,073 islands in a 64 by 64 with stairs, so all I can say is DAMN!
Posted Image
Posted Image [SSSS]
"I don't care where Leonardo DaVinci got his materials, the Mona Lisa is still a legendary piece of art."

Seibai
    Seibai

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:34 AM

How do you mean "use the lamps"?

I've noticed GZip has some issues when I do other stuff while running this. That might be part of the issue in regards to the compression not finishing (though I think there's a larger issue there - I plan to link in to a different compressor in my next version of all of these).

assasseon

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:36 AM

Oh, I meant I can't pick them in the gen if I want it to work, but I just had the game open, so that's probably it.

Edit: It worked and I am currently copying it over... Doh! I'm just losing mah mind. It woulda been faster if I jsut moved it!
Posted Image
Posted Image [SSSS]

assasseon

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:47 AM

Oh My God! That is awesome. I just found the biggest island EVAR! The squid keep falling through and dying, and there is so much surface coal! Spectacular world generator as always Seibai!

Update: I have 3 full stacks of coal, 24 more, 45 iron, 16 gold, and 25 redstone. Still no island deep enough for diamond, or maybe its just yet to be found. Wow, I might make a lets play on this.
Posted Image
Posted Image [SSSS]

zonezerozel

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:07 AM

awesome job on the floating islands, would be cool to have land under it so you dont fall into the abyss

Ultramutant

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

Ok so I have a problem...

On the first try I generator a small world to test it 16x16 it works cool
On the Second try I want a larger world 32x32 it work BUT it placed me right outside of the area...

From the 3rd try (64x64) on I couldn't even locate the wall or anything, all it did was generate a normal map

Have any idea whats happening?

Andalite
  • Minecraft: Andalite

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

Good job!

I'll be using this one alot ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

mechadax
    mechadax

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

Jesus Christ, You never cease to amaze me!

Ryuk
    Ryuk

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

holly shit your just pumpin em out bro :)
One time i shat so hard i got a nose bleed.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

StableMammal

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

Awesome. I only discovered your maps yesterday, tried the Desert/Golden Tunnels and put Planetoids as my server (as can't have tunnels on SMP :Diamond: ) - and now already there is a new one :_:.

Just downloaded and am trying out atm, very cool I especially love seeing squids fly over my head and stuff xD.

Posted Image

Edit: Not sure if this is supposed to happen or not? When I cut down trees, the leaves decay and this seems to puncture my bubble and water rushes down from the ceilings :3.

Dragondj0

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Omg, going to try this out as soon as I wake up properly. Been waiting for another map generator by you sebei. You are easily my new favourite modder on the forum. Been playing a 124x124 primordial desert map for a while now. Just great work

sikic
    sikic

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

Seibai, you sir, are a god. Another fantastic generator.
Posted Image [SSSS]

Bowserking65 said:

That doesn't even make sense, even in Minecraft.

CoolWillow

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

omg this looks amazing!!!! i love your generators!! any idea when your next map gen will be? just a rough idea if possible plz
Posted Image

Kaseki
    Kaseki

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

Mine "stopped working" near the end of the "Saving map chunks". It's now been sitting there for at least 12 hours. The Primordial Desert gen didn't have this problem on my PC. I'm using Windows 7 x64. Any ideas?

Btw, the error appears to be some sort of "System.NullReferenceException"

Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:	mystical islands map genearator
  Problem Signature 02:	1.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 03:	4d6043a5
  Problem Signature 04:	Mystical Islands Map Genearator
  Problem Signature 05:	1.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 06:	4d6043a5
  Problem Signature 07:	95
  Problem Signature 08:	18b
  Problem Signature 09:	System.NullReferenceException
  OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1033

For reference, I was generating size 256, air version with 'no' on both other options.

Ran it again at size 16 and it completed fine.

Ran it again on 256 and the last thing it said was 99.9% before stopping again. Same error. :D