Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How to add a ftb server with more ram?

ram ftb server how to more feed the beast

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Bobbyboy49er

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hello, I have recently started using my own ftb server. I have recently downloaded the server from feed the beast so it is not the one where you can select which amount to run the server on. When I start it, it says warning to add more ram to this server, then it has some code. Can someone tell me how to add more ram? Thanks I need it really bad.

Register or log in to remove.

NorthAntrim

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Change the values in "ServerStart.sh/bat":

java -Xms512M -Xmx1G -jar ftbserver.jar
to;
java -Xms512M -Xmx6G -jar ftbserver.jar
or your required amount.

PLEASE "Posted Image" WHEN REPLYING TO ME • USEFUL LINKS AND INFO:

Rules | Support | Minecraft Servers Status | MCF Help | Mojang Support Center

Posted Image

Bobbyboy49er

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Thanks mate, what's the highest it can go to?

qtpriest
    qtpriest

Support Guru

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Minecraft: stunseed

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostBobbyboy49er, on 25 February 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Thanks mate, what's the highest it can go to?
i dont think whats the highest it can go is the real question here. it is how much ram do you have to offer it and go from there. if your computer only has 3GB of ram then you can allocate 3GB or ram to it. but then if youre playing on the same comp as hosting it then youll want to give it 1-2GB even then youd still have to allow your FTB launcher to allocate the proper amount of ram to the client itself. you cant go giving programs ram that you dont have. also its ince to note what java do you have? 32 bit or 64 bit? since all thes e things run off of java . if you have 32 bit you can only allocate 2GB of ram to anything 1 thing at a time. so to add more you will want to get 64 bit. 64 bit has a ALOT higher RAM cap than 32 bit. 12GB is about the highest
the earth first! we can strip mine the rest of the universe after. click the up arrow if i helped.
Be A part of a great server! connect with Theofficialmcserver.com

Posted Image

Bobbyboy49er

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I have 64 bit. 2 last questions. Is there a way to find out how much ram you can give it? Also what does the amount of ram actually do? What does giving it more do?

Sorry but another question I have is you know when you sent me the code what does the Xms512M do and stand for? Can I change that to help with anything? So what does that do?

qtpriest
    qtpriest

Support Guru

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

you can find out how much ram you can give it by checking your sytem specs. it will say memory size. thats the same thing as RAM.
allowing your server and your minecraft game more ram to play with allows it to handle more stuff at once like player connections chuck loading and even raised graphics in HD textures it does alot.  now for the code -Xmx and -Xms is part of a code that tells java what HEAP size will be allocated on starting and how much memory that the program can use at any given time.  so at time your server/ game would be using 512 -XGB at any given time. i usually make the numbers say the same thing -Xmx3G -Xms3G . typically if ou dont have them the same the rulle is that your -Xmx is half of your maximum ram used for whatever youre playing and -Xms is the mazimum amount of ram that can be used.
the earth first! we can strip mine the rest of the universe after. click the up arrow if i helped.

Posted Image

Bobbyboy49er

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

Ok thank you, will this help reduce lag? Or is there a way to reduce lag?

qtpriest
    qtpriest

Support Guru

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostBobbyboy49er, on 26 February 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

View PostBobbyboy49er, on 26 February 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

simple answer? yes totally. other answer meh not so much. what ahppens when a server has more ram is it allows it to not have server side function lag. like mobs dont float around. when you punch a block it actually breaks and falls to the floor first try instead of it disappearing  and reappearing before your eyes same goes with placing blocks. it allows for when a server needs to load a million chunks at once it can do that without stressing out the server in whole. to stop other lag like player connections seeing a person in one spot then jumping all over the screen. getting choppy gameplay and the such is pretty much solved if you get a better internet connection, not so easy to fix that issue but its one of the reasons why people pay for hosting instead of hosting from home. most residential internet connections cant handle server upload speeds. 7MB+  and the speed of the internet overall depending on connection drops significantly when connecting to certain places across the world. hosting companys have connections with light speed internet globally. (well atleast we hope so i still host mine from home). what happens when sombeody connects to a server they send PINGS to the connection and then the server sends PONGS. download and upload. if this cant happen fast enough the person will disconnect lag time out . will also be affected by their internet connection as well that when you get ppl jumping across the screen. can keep a connection but the server loses track of where they are thats call latency /MS and that happens when you and someone has a slow internet connection speed to eachother. a VERY high PING.

Posted Image

Thebakker
  • Minecraft: Thebakker

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

this doesn't work for me
i get the cmd screen and then norhing

97superlink

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

View Postqtpriest, on 25 February 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

you can find out how much ram you can give it by checking your sytem specs. it will say memory size. thats the same thing as RAM.
allowing your server and your minecraft game more ram to play with allows it to handle more stuff at once like player connections chuck loading and even raised graphics in HD textures it does alot.  now for the code -Xmx and -Xms is part of a code that tells java what HEAP size will be allocated on starting and how much memory that the program can use at any given time.  so at time your server/ game would be using 512 -XGB at any given time. i usually make the numbers say the same thing -Xmx3G -Xms3G . typically if ou dont have them the same the rulle is that your -Xmx is half of your maximum ram used for whatever youre playing and -Xms is the mazimum amount of ram that can be used.
I thought that xms is the minimum the server will always have running and xmx is the max