Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Fan and Cooling Issues

liquid cooling mini itx small fans

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Axle_Gear

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

So I finally managed to get a custom-built computer working, and it's a right cute little thing.

Posted Image

However, as is often the case with such a small box being used for gaming, heat build up is an issue.  Since the stock CPU fan is making a high-pitched vibrating noise that's driving me nuts, I'm looking into alternatives.  I'm also considering a slightly ambitious project to cut a hole in the top of the case to add a fan to help vent heat slightly.

I'm kind of considering trying to kill two birds with one stone and use a liquid-based CPU cooler, and mounting the radiator/fan to said hole to be made in the top of the case.  Unfortunately, whatever I use is going to have to be pretty oddly shaped; say 80x160 mm at the largest for radiator/fan portion.  I've already taken a look around and found nothing that would work.  Does such a size/shape liquid cooler exist?

Register or log in to remove.

TheRacker
    TheRacker

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4359 posts
  • Minecraft: TheRacker

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

Can you show the internal layout of the case?  And generally closed loop coolers like the H80 are no quieter than a regular heatsink.
Phenom ii x4 970@ 4.0ghz / PNY GTX 560ti @ 900mhz / Patriot sector 5 8gb (2x4) / MSI 890FXA-GD70 / Corsair 500r / Corsair TX550M / Thermaltake Frio

Axle_Gear

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostTheRacker, on 25 February 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

Can you show the internal layout of the case?  And generally closed loop coolers like the H80 are no quieter than a regular heatsink.

This is about the best I can do in short order.  To see any more I would have to remove the power supply:

Posted Image

As you can see, between the HDD, the video card, and the power supply, there's not a lot of room for airflow.  Unforunately, it's not like I can rearrange things to work any better.

And in regards to noise levels; the stock CPU fan I'm using now is 'defective' levels of loud, as in louder than it should reasonably be.  Unless the alternative also makes a high-pitched vibrating noise, or happens to be a leaf-blower, I should be fine.

777300ER
  • Minecraft: TripleSeven
  • Xbox:TripleSeven

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

View PostAxle_Gear, on 25 February 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

This is about the best I can do in short order.  To see any more I would have to remove the power supply:

Posted Image

As you can see, between the HDD, the video card, and the power supply, there's not a lot of room for airflow.  Unforunately, it's not like I can rearrange things to work any better.

And in regards to noise levels; the stock CPU fan I'm using now is 'defective' levels of loud, as in louder than it should reasonably be.  Unless the alternative also makes a high-pitched vibrating noise, or happens to be a leaf-blower, I should be fine.

Why did you choose that case?

Posted Image

Axle_Gear

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

View Post777300ER, on 25 February 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

Why did you choose that case?

Space is aggressively limited in my house.  Plus I kinda liked the look of it.  Not terribly good reasons, but there it is.

I'm observing that when I run the machine with the side panel off (it's perforated, anway), it runs at reasonable temperatures.  I'm thinking that extra bit of airflow out the top could really make a difference.

Redstone PrO
  • Minecraft: knexfan0011

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

What processor are your running? noctua has some amazing low profile cpu coolers, theri NH-L9 series, There is a model for amd sockets and one for Intel LGA1156/1155/1150
Have a wonderful day ^-^v
Sorry for any typos/gramatical errors, english isn't my primary language ;)

Axle_Gear

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

I'm running with an Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor.

Edit:  Just drilled a few holes in the top plate for more ventilation, and they seem to almost compensate for putting the side cover back on.  I think sometime tomorrow I'm going to try perforating it more to see if that makes the difference.  To be honest I don't know why the manufacturer never considered it themselves.

Doctapper
    Doctapper

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4678 posts
  • Minecraft: Doctapper

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Build a contraption to convert the thermal energy output (heat energy) generated from the electrical energy input (the stuff that makes your computer run) into some sort of fan device small enough to fit on the top/side of your case, the contraption should use the thermal energy to power the fan (you'll find a way) which will then hopefully turn it into kinetic energy (movement, in this instance, air particles moving around and the fan moving) which will then proceed to vent all the waste energy (thermal energy NOT being used) and keep the computer nice and cool.

Maybe (dunno if you want to/is possible/is worth it) buy some good Laptop fans off Amazon or Ebay or something, cut some holes in the case and install them to make it a little cooler, as I said, I have no clue if it would work!

I am a Communist, and a Marxist-Leninist.

NationStates | Project Terra