• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

ubergine
    ubergine

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

We know Item Frames are coming in Title Update 9, so I read up on them at the wiki:

http://www.minecraft...wiki/Item_Frame

Sounds great. One question I had was whether the item frames, being an "entity", would eat into the limit on item drops, eg I think the limit was 200, so if you had 100 item frames would that mean your automatic farm could only drop 100 wheat/seeds?

Hopefully not!

Register or log in to remove.

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2851 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

no, it is actually considered a block in its' own way. Now as far as the item you put into the frame, I would think it like a storage block. This is all a guess of course. Since item frames only contain 1 block it is like placing a block in that respects. So I would hope that it does not count as a drop from that logic, otherwise how are we to build things and what with, more or less how is the world loaded.

What I think goes on with item frames is:

1. Counts as a block, but will be like switches where the hit box is thin and can move around it & through it. Well the side anyway, like a torch on a wall. would have hit box similar to paintings.
2. It probably saves the id of the block when placed within the block, so to ease the saving process with many frames. Only 1 id per frame which makes sense.

It is almost like saying a painting counts as a dropped item...O_o Let's hope my analogy is correct to some degree, if not similar to what is going to happen with them. Otherwise the item in the frame would disappear after a while. That would be a pain to have to replace the blocks every so often. lol

My First World, always getting back to is a pleasure I enjoy with each new update that brings in more things to add in.

--Arcavia--

ubergine
    ubergine

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

I don't understand enough about the actual programming. The wiki page says its an entity though and not a block.

Mustache_Guy
  • Minecraft: McAngusYoung

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

We'll find out when they come out.

Just pop into Creative Mode when TU9 release to find out.
Lucifer - "So you're willing to die for a pile of cockroaches? Why?"
Gabriel - "Because dad was right. They are better than us."
Lucifer - "They are broken, flawed, abortions!"
Gabriel - "Damn right they're flawed, but a lot of them try to do better."

onehandedminer
  • Minecraft: 1handedminer

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

there isn't a limit to items on the ground -_- u can have as many items on the ground at once as you wish, there is a 5 minute timer for items though and after 5 mins the item disapears

Mustache_Guy

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

View Postonehandedminer, on 25 February 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

there isn't a limit to items on the ground Posted Image u can have as many items on the ground at once as you wish, there is a 5 minute timer for items though and after 5 mins the item disapears
There is a limit. The limit is 200.

If you try to drop more than 200 things on the ground at once, the will begin to disappear.

ubergine
    ubergine

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

I only know about it from people complaining after the piston update last year, that their 1000 wheat farm turned out to be useless.

What you get for duping pistons I guess.

Cire360
    Cire360

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hopefully we'll get item stacking brought forth so that would help.

ubergine
    ubergine

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Item stacking?

Koumus
    Koumus

Pipsqueak Admin

• Forum Admin
  • 1153 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

View Postubergine, on 25 February 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Item stacking?
I think he's talking about the feature where similar items, when on the ground, stack up together to save space, for example if you drop 5 pieces of wheat, on the Xbox they will count as 5 separate items but on the PC they will stack up together and count as only 1 item on the ground.

Posted Image

Forum Admin of the Show Your Creation and Off-Topic sections

jairudius
  • Minecraft: jairudius
  • Xbox:jairudius

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

i like the way it looks on xbox. (get a sum of how much item your getting)
Yo lets go mine some stuff son!!!!!1
Posted Image

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2851 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

View Postubergine, on 25 February 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

I don't understand enough about the actual programming. The wiki page says its an entity though and not a block.

Well people have not complained about paintings adding to the count.... Which like what the description said, like paintings. I will just assume that they might have their own count if anything... Guess we will have to wait and see.

My First World, always getting back to is a pleasure I enjoy with each new update that brings in more things to add in.

--Arcavia--

LimboTrack

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hmmm, I don't see the point in these item frames...

Mean_JT
    Mean_JT

Carpenter

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostLimboTrack, on 25 February 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

Hmmm, I don't see the point in these item frames...
There good for decorating and labeling chest. That much I understand. Neat idea. I'm glad it's coming!
The reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

LimboTrack

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostMean_JT, on 25 February 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

There good for decorating and labeling chest. That much I understand. Neat idea. I'm glad it's coming!
I'd rather have the ability to join random worlds, But if you think an item frame is a good use of 4J's time then fair enough...I just wish they would focus on the multiplayer. This games dead and a picture frame isn't gonna make any diference...

TayWolf
    TayWolf

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

what are item frames

llEl2ayll

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostTayWolf, on 25 February 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

what are item frames
there like pictures except you get to place an item in it and it will stay in the frame until its knocked off,

i would like the ability to join random small worlds buts its been said and known that when you get more then 5 people talking things start to lag.....id like the same amount and some type of map sharing , cloud base seems sketchy (because if they loose it theres no back up)  does anyone else fancy the idea to be able to share map using an updated seed number that allows it to be saved by 2 people. (that might be to much programming)

josper909

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Looking forward to using the Item frames to lable my chests..

On the PC they also got flower pots I beleive with this update.  think we might get those also (as a surprise?)

ubergine
    ubergine

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Not sure. The PC updates don't reliably correspond at all. Our updates regularly get equivalents of PC features from a range of different updates, eg some features are "brought forward" like the more recent version of enchanting (30 levels instead of 50) and other features get held back, like The End was.

I think this update is going to feel pretty effective though.

Mustache_Guy

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostMean_JT, on 25 February 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Thw two best things about Item Frames are being able to hang a map on the wall, and a clock on the wall.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Both the clock and the map actually work while in the item frames. Meaning you can have a time telling clock on your wall as well as a map that shows everyones location.