• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

iFoxino
    iFoxino

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Hey guys! so I would like to start a lets play series for minecraft! I'd like to ask a few questions if that's okay with you guys.

After reading the terms page I'm quite confused about the limitations of motetization.

So would a LP series be eligible for motetization without a partnership from a gaming network? If not that's totally cool but just asking.

Also.

I'm quite shy on the mic right now. My previous videos are mostly made up of montages mixed with music of another game. Could I perhaps get some tips on how to improve.

Such as;-

what to talk about?
How to fill in gaps?
and most importantly what is the best software to record from mic?

Thank you all for reading :)

Register or log in to remove.

Alzorath
    Alzorath

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

To address your main point:

You can monetize, but you need explicit commercial permissions from the rights-holders, ie contact the company in question and request permissions in writing to monetize (ie utilize their material for commercial purposes). There are some games/publishers that extend this write (some conditionally, some unconditionally), but they are the exception, not the rule. You will often find this information on support pages, ToS/ToU/EULA/etc., "About" pages, etc. ( for minecraft, search for Branding Guidelines - found here )

As far as the microphone stuff:

- Tip #1. Just start doing it, the 'awkwardness' goes away with practice.

- What to talk about? Hobbies, interests, news, tips/tricks, experiences, etc. Really you can talk about anything, depending on the type of LP you're going for... for example it could be very 'vloggy' like "Far Lands or Bust" where the majority of talk is about Kurt's interests, news, viewer questions, etc.  Or you could go the 'infotainment' route like HCBailly's LPs - where he goes into a mix of talking/reacting to the story in front of him, and interjecting with bits of facts about how the game works/strategies/etc. for beating a specific part, very rarely delving into his private life.

- How to fill the gaps? There's times for silence and times for words :P - in an LP, you don't have to be talking constantly, but something has to be engaging the viewer nearly constantly - whether it's a cutscene, an action filled moment, or just that silence of "I ran into something frustrating!". The awkward gaps are what are solved with your first part of the question "What to talk about?" - don't be afraid to keep a notepad of 'chat ideas', it will give you something to talk about when you run a blank.

- You have options for recording audio, the best free option is Audacity, and truthfully, for just straight up recording your mic, it works as good as anything else (it's more a hardware issue when it comes to raw recording, only when you get to audio editing does it impact the software you want to choose, which Audacity will still do pretty good at, albeit not as good as some pay software). Some people record audio within fraps/dxtory/bandicam/etc. - this is situational, I personally don't like it in fraps because it doesn't allow for flexible editing, but Dxtory and such can record as a separate stream for your voice and the game audio, making editing easier (well, at least if you use a USB mic... non-USB mic's tend to get lumped in with system audio, which means a lot of fiddly-ness)

iFoxino
    iFoxino

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

View PostAlzorath, on 21 February 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

To address your main point:

You can monetize, but you need explicit commercial permissions from the rights-holders, ie contact the company in question and request permissions in writing to monetize (ie utilize their material for commercial purposes). There are some games/publishers that extend this write (some conditionally, some unconditionally), but they are the exception, not the rule. You will often find this information on support pages, ToS/ToU/EULA/etc., "About" pages, etc. ( for minecraft, search for Branding Guidelines - found here )

As far as the microphone stuff:

- Tip #1. Just start doing it, the 'awkwardness' goes away with practice.

- What to talk about? Hobbies, interests, news, tips/tricks, experiences, etc. Really you can talk about anything, depending on the type of LP you're going for... for example it could be very 'vloggy' like "Far Lands or Bust" where the majority of talk is about Kurt's interests, news, viewer questions, etc.  Or you could go the 'infotainment' route like HCBailly's LPs - where he goes into a mix of talking/reacting to the story in front of him, and interjecting with bits of facts about how the game works/strategies/etc. for beating a specific part, very rarely delving into his private life.

- How to fill the gaps? There's times for silence and times for words Posted Image - in an LP, you don't have to be talking constantly, but something has to be engaging the viewer nearly constantly - whether it's a cutscene, an action filled moment, or just that silence of "I ran into something frustrating!". The awkward gaps are what are solved with your first part of the question "What to talk about?" - don't be afraid to keep a notepad of 'chat ideas', it will give you something to talk about when you run a blank.

- You have options for recording audio, the best free option is Audacity, and truthfully, for just straight up recording your mic, it works as good as anything else (it's more a hardware issue when it comes to raw recording, only when you get to audio editing does it impact the software you want to choose, which Audacity will still do pretty good at, albeit not as good as some pay software). Some people record audio within fraps/dxtory/bandicam/etc. - this is situational, I personally don't like it in fraps because it doesn't allow for flexible editing, but Dxtory and such can record as a separate stream for your voice and the game audio, making editing easier (well, at least if you use a USB mic... non-USB mic's tend to get lumped in with system audio, which means a lot of fiddly-ness)

Wow thanks :D

This post certainly helped me greatly and as for monetization, I think I shall leave that for now as it doesn't seem worth it yet. The tips about mic + software will certainly be used. Thank you again. (this was much longer but I timed out LOL :( )

Davidgm92
  • Minecraft: Davidgm92

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

You can monetise Minecraft videos with no problem as in the Minecraft terms: www.minecraft.net/terms it says exactly that - that you can monetise you're Minecraft videos. If Youtube says otherwise you click on the monetisation and provide a link to the terms and copy that line in as well as thats what I do and after a couple of days it's monetised again.

Talk about anything relevant or try using topics that are popular at the time. It's the only time I have found it really helpfull to watch stuff like the news. As for filling in gaps you could try explaining what you are doing at that moment.

I myself use a HD PVR 2 for audio and video but as Alzorath recommended I would also advise using Dxtory due to the seperate audio streams that you can have but I would not recommend using the PackBit codec as it is experimental and nothing works with it.

Hope this helps!

Alzorath
    Alzorath

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Yea... for codecs, I tend to go for the old tried-and-true Lagarith's Lossless.