• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Controlling grass color over biomes.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Lilikoi_Juice

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Is there any way to regulate the color of grass?  I find myself bothered when I'm terraforming, and the grass color is different in areas where the biomes intersect. The grass usually grows in from the side with the color I want, but it turns another color when it goes over the biome...

Colored grass is not available on creative so that wasn't an option.  I like uniformity and consistency do I find it problematic... Any suggestions please? :(

Register or log in to remove.

Yello74
    Yello74

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

I have the same issue- it looks a bit naff at times.

I've noticed the dark green grass seems to grow quickest (which is my favourite), but it's not an exact science :(

IAMBaldur888

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

u can not control it.  just like u can't get animals to spawn in desert even if u teraform it.
unsatisfied customer: get better anti-griefing tools.  Like a time stamp when people join/leave the server.  etc.

caiitlinz
  • Minecraft: caiitlinz
  • Xbox:caiitlin

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

The colour of grass is directly controlled  by the biome you're in. So no can do, sadly :(

UpUp_Away95

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Unfortunately, there is no way to change it.  The grass color is controlled by the biome code and we currently have no means to change the biome.

I have one trick that can help "spruce" things up.I plant spruce trees and make hedges and bushes out of spruce tree "leaf" blocks.  These stay the same color regardless of biome, so with a little strategic placement, they can lessen the visual impact of the changes

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2851 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

I sure hope they add the shader for grass, for those that have played pc version, where two biomes meet and the color melds with each other to blend into a smoother transition... that would help things a bit. I believe it was actually based on a single graphic in the tileset that looks like a square with two shades of gray making it 2 triangles... Something like that...

I hope I explained that well... but it is the programming that is behind it mostly that gets complicated as doing the same thing they do with grass now. Basically a border tile. not really a new block, but a new graphical addition.

My First World, always getting back to is a pleasure I enjoy with each new update that brings in more things to add in.

--Arcavia--

LimboTrack

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Make a new world, The old world's biome's are really screwed up...This has destroyed most of my maps.

UpUp_Away95

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostLimboTrack, on 20 February 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Make a new world, The old world's biome's are really screwed up...This has destroyed most of my maps.

This topic has nothing to do with old/new terrain.  Transitions between two different biomes occur even in newly generated worlds.  My newly generated TU8 world has many, many trees of two colors where the tree itself crosses over the boundary between two different biomes.

trencheel303

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostTamorr, on 20 February 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

I believe it was actually based on a single graphic in the tileset that looks like a square with two shades of gray making it 2 triangles... Something like that...

That's correct. I edited mine to make it monocolour, so my grass is always bright, lush green no matter what. Wish it could be done on Xbox.

The post-adventure update grass colour is abysmal. The hill colour is the worst - blue grass? Last time I checked, hill grass and bogweed was more of a greeny-yellow than a dull muted blue.

josper909

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostIAMBaldur888, on 20 February 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

u can not control it.  just like u can't get animals to spawn in desert even if u teraform it.

Interesting --  what would happen to animal spawns if you covered your grass lands with a couple layers of sand?  Would the animals still spawn?

BloodyPhoenix

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Simple fix: Turn every grass block into green wool.
Wait a second....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Artist found here.

TayWolf
    TayWolf

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostBloodyPhoenix, on 20 February 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

Wait a second....
Thats a good idea...But Its also very stupid...

USA007
    USA007

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

You could grow mycelium everywhere, but I'm not sure how anyone could stand that purple-ish color over two different grass colors

Lilikoi_Juice

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostTayWolf, on 20 February 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Thats a good idea...But Its also very stupid...
Haha, well it actually crossed my mind for a second... Posted Image

Thank you all for your replies!

It's a bit disappointing, but I will just have to keep them as it is... I really do hope a future update adds colored grass options in creative.

Nose_Job_for_a_Cowboy

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostBloodyPhoenix, on 20 February 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

Wait a second....
You could always just terraform a Superflat world.... Good luck with that, by the way.

Lilikoi_Juice

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostNose_Job_For_a_Cowboy, on 20 February 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

You could always just terraform a Superflat world.... Good luck with that, by the way.
That's an idea too, thanks :)

Aunor
    Aunor

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostLimboTrack, on 20 February 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

How does the color of a few grass blocks on the borders "destroy" many worlds?

LimboTrack

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

I don't think you understand what the OP is talking about, It's not just a few missplaced grass blocks. Its a complete biome change, Sunny villages turned into wintery hellholes. Ice an snow everywhere.

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2851 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostLimboTrack, on 09 March 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

No, I'm not a snitch. The mods do an amazing job   Posted Image

I don't think you understand what the OP is talking about, It's not just a few missplaced grass blocks. Its a complete biome change, Sunny villages turned into wintery hellholes. Ice an snow everywhere.

not quite... The OP was talking about the biome transition with the grass blocks... Not old/new world changing(biome shifting)...  The person mentions that grass is different in other biomes which makes it difficult to terraform...  I can understand it since the grass from one biome to another is not a smooth transition, but a harsh change from one to the other...

Would be nice they had that kind of option though to make it so all grass is uniform in color or change it to a uniform color that you want... something like that... hm....

correct me if I am wrong....

My First World, always getting back to is a pleasure I enjoy with each new update that brings in more things to add in.

--Arcavia--

LimboTrack

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostTamorr, on 09 March 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

not quite... The OP was talking about the biome transition with the grass blocks... Not old/new world changing(biome shifting)...  The person mentions that grass is different in other biomes which makes it difficult to terraform...  I can understand it since the grass from one biome to another is not a smooth transition, but a harsh change from one to the other...

Would be nice they had that kind of option though to make it so all grass is uniform in color or change it to a uniform color that you want... something like that... hm....

correct me if I am wrong....
Hopefully texture packs should solve the grass issue, So hang on to those maps...