Latest News Article

* * * * * 4 votes

Snapshot 13w07a Ready for Testing!

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Sacheverell

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Posted Image

It's time for another round of mini-golf!  Wait, no...it's Snapshot Day!  What lies in store for us this go-around?  Not a revised lighting engine, unfortunately; Dinnerbone has said that the lighting engine is still being worked on, but isn't quite ready for public consumption just yet.  Fear not, though!  While it might be taking a little bit of extra time to optimize the lighting, it is certainly better to take a little extra time and get it right, than rush something that might not work correctly.

In the meantime, let's see what bugfixes await!

Bug Fixes:
  • Slight optimizations to lighting
  • Map item placed in item frame experiences Z-fighting
  • Nametag of certain mobs too low / too high
  • Team colors/prefixes/suffixes are not displayed with "@a, @p\, @r"

Register or log in to remove.

DeanUK
    DeanUK

Prof. Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 1411 posts
  • Minecraft: DeanUK

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Glad to see the lighting is slowing getting fixed.
And on Valentines day too, aw Mojang you're too kind to us.

Posted Image

Quote my post if you're looking for a reply.

x_clucky
    x_clucky

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 200 posts
  • Minecraft: x_clucky

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Lighting fixes on Valentines day!?!?! Dinnerbone must really love us!
Enjoy raiding and pvp in highly customizable and well organized groups, but hate the setup of Factions? Then check out my upcoming server containing multiple custom plugins: http://www.RisingColonies.com/

darklordmack

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

La mayo.

GrandChaos9000
  • Minecraft: GrandChaos9000

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Actually, the world has generated in every bug of lighting as in annoying, it was earlier of alpha, beta and final to fixed.

But the one and only about the most repetitive boring of this part in few bugfixes and improvements in this snapshot.

Until, i'm going to wait in final release must getting blow up.

If the 1.6 will be coming yet to snapshot, just add more realistic and missing biomes.

Posted Image

KGsauce
    KGsauce

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

One step closer to final release of 1.5!!!! YAY!

Markwell99

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Take your time, get it right![img]http://static.minecraftforum.net//public/style_emoticons/default/mobpig.png[/img]

Random_Guy_32

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Dinnerbone has been really busy with the lightning the last 2 weeks. I hope he can complete it before the end of this month.

Primal_Wind
  • Minecraft: Rasgriz34

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

The direct download from Mojang is 1.4.7, and not 13w07a.
Way to go Mojang.
Posted Image

nitrocrafter
  • Minecraft: nitrocrafterMF

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

This snapshot is shining with light. I like it.
Posted Image

Primal_Wind
  • Minecraft: Rasgriz34

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

[quote name='nitrocrafter' timestamp='1360872354' post='20920324']
What is he going to change on the lighting engine?
[/quote]

It will look better, have directional lighting (like light from the front of a furnace), work with stairs and slabs correctly, stop generation of dark unlit areas in worldgen, and all in all, just be a new lighting engine.

There will be a fallback for less powerful computers.
Posted Image

Vagossssssssss
  • Minecraft: Vagossssssssss

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

You know I will really love to see 1.5 now but a snapshot it's ok [img]http://static.minecraftforum.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

LynnNexus

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

I'm curious about this point...

"[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(242, 248, 251)]Map item placed in item frame experiences Z-fighting"[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(242, 248, 251)]What does that mean?[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Vagossssssssss
  • Minecraft: Vagossssssssss

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

[quote name='LynnNexus' timestamp='1360873604' post='20920700']

"[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(242, 248, 251)]Map item placed in item frame experiences Z-fighting"[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(242, 248, 251)]What does that mean?[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

It's a bug when you place a map in an items frame :)

see more here : https://mojang.atlassian.net/browse/MC-2196

forged_in_flames
  • Location: Earth, the solar system, the milky way, in the universe
  • Minecraft: Flame_Hazard

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Yay! Ethos map wall will be fixed! (If you don't know what I'm talking about watch this [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYgCOGO0qtc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYgCOGO0qtc[/url])
I'm gald to see the lighting bugs fixed now. REDO THE ENGINE PLEASE! Or else! [img]http://static.minecraftforum.net//public/style_emoticons/default/mobcreeper.png[/img]

Note: my two favorite words when talking/ replying are however and personally

MamiyaOtaru

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

[quote name='LynnNexus' timestamp='1360873604' post='20920700']

[/quote] simple terms follow.  in a 3d engine, you can think of z as depth.  z-fighting is when two things are so close together depth-wise, the engine has a hard time deciding which one is farther away and it's sort of random which one actually displays (or they both display mixed up with each other - see the screenshots in Vagoss*' link).  

Can be fixed by moving them farther apart, or doing something else to make it obvious to the engine which one needs to be displayed (glPolygonOffset works pretty well for saying "Hey!  draw this bit in front!")

CyborgFish

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Quite a large amount of decrease in frame rate for me.

MrLoco
    MrLoco

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

[quote name='Sacheverell' timestamp='1360869354' post='20919540'][list]
[*]Slight optimizations to lighting
[*]Map item placed in item frame experiences Z-fighting
[*]Nametag of certain mobs too low / too high
[*]Team colors/prefixes/suffixes are not displayed with "@a, @p\, @r"
[/list]
[/quote]

... that's it??  It probably took longer to type that post than it took them to fix those bugs.  4 tiny bug fixes in like 10 days, and "still working on the lighting engine" which has been "worked on" forever and I doubt will ever happen.

Silver8888
  • Minecraft: Silver8888

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Slowly by slowly I see 1.5 coming :)
Posted Image

Random_Guy_32

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

[quote name='MrLoco' timestamp='1360877726' post='20921848']
... that's it??  It probably took longer to type that post than it took them to fix those bugs.  4 tiny bug fixes in like 10 days, and "still working on the lighting engine" which has been "worked on" forever and I doubt will ever happen.
[/quote]
It's called homestretch. Every feature for 1.5 is done, what remains are the necessary bugfixes. You can honestly be glad Dinnerbone even had time to fix 4 bugs while he was simultaniously working on the god-damn lightning engine. If it wasn't for a Thursday, there wouldn't be a snapshot at all.