Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How do seeds in xbox work?

xbox seeds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Lilikoi_Juice

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

I'm kind of new at the sharing ability in xbox mc.  I have a few questions about how they work.

Can other players modify the world? And if so, will it affect my "save"?
I made a build and I want others to try it out and see how they like it but I'm worried about other players messing my world up... Posted Image

I tried to use the search but it wasn't bringing up anything I wanted and google wasn't helpful either so...

Register or log in to remove.

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2851 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

A Map Seed is an algorithm that the generation uses to make the world. Basically a number that only the generation pays any attention to, not other players.

That is, what you do on your world does not affect what the seed will generation next time, and what other do on their world will not affect the seed either. This is the reason for the save file. If it was done the way you are thinking, we would have no save file.

As for the other players messing up your world that is what the extra options are for... just have some of those options off, like trust players, tnt, the fire one... You could also have it on invite only to invite who you want to see your project.

I guess you didn't search hard enough... or you were just unlucky in word use, cause I could have sworn there was mention of it on here. About the seed I mean....

My First World, always getting back to is a pleasure I enjoy with each new update that brings in more things to add in.

--Arcavia--

Lilikoi_Juice

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Oh okay :) So, you can't make a world and save it on the seed.
Hmm, I wonder how worlds are shared then (I'll look it up later).

Thanks and I think I couldn't find anything I wanted because I looked up "seeds for adventure maps". :P

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2851 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

They aren't shared directly, unless you break the Tos. I don't know much on that subject...

Beyond that one thing there is no way to share maps as of yet. 4J has mentioned looking into this type of feature, but nothing concrete. Think of it this way... Seed=Terrain not personal buildings/modifications....

That search criteria is kinda vague...>< as people do have different view on what an adventure map is, even when building one.

So there really is no way to share a map legally. The only thing I can suggest it to have people join, or even back up the map to a USB drive configured for xbox, and then open the world for viewing online.

My First World, always getting back to is a pleasure I enjoy with each new update that brings in more things to add in.

--Arcavia--

JeepinHank

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostLilikoi_Juice, on 14 February 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Oh okay Posted Image So, you can't make a world and save it on the seed.
Hmm, I wonder how worlds are shared then (I'll look it up later).

Thanks and I think I couldn't find anything I wanted because I looked up "seeds for adventure maps". Posted Image

I think you might have misunderstood Tamorr a bit.  I believe, what you are asking is if a seed contains data on structures and player initiated changes to the landscape.  The answer is no.  The seed is essentially the starting point of generated terrain and structures.  Everything you do to the world is a part of the game save.  Seeds can be shared, saves cannot unless playing over live / same console.

(Or - what Tamorr said)

UpUp_Away95

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Think about was a seed is IRL.  It's a beginning of a plant, not the plant itself. Therefore, in Minecraft, itt is merely the character string or variable that the terrain generation algorithm uses to create a world map.  If anyone using the same version of Minecraft types in the same character string, the terrain generation algorithm with produce the same terrain because the variables in the formula are the same.  However, what the player changes about that world is not found within the number string... it is separate data (stored in the gamesave file).  Gamesave files cannot currently be shared by different users since the Xbox tags the gamesave files as being owned by the gamertag that generated that individual world.  For someone else to use the file, that ownership information has to be changed... and this may be considered to be modifying the gamesave file and against Microsoft's TOS.

kyi2604
    kyi2604

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Woah way too complicated.
The seed is your map generated.  If you are the host of the game its your saves and map that are stored that other people can use but not save.  As host, you chose who to invite to your world.  Anything they build is only saved when you save.  They cant save the world themselves.  They also cant load the world in their xbox.  They can only play the map if you have loaded it and have invited them.   If you are invited to someone elses game and world you dont control the saves, they do.
Hope this simplifies what the others have been trying to say.

UpUp_Away95

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

View Postkyi2604, on 17 February 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

Woah way too complicated.
The seed is your map generated.  If you are the host of the game its your saves and map that are stored that other people can use but not save.  As host, you chose who to invite to your world.  Anything they build is only saved when you save.  They cant save the world themselves.  They also cant load the world in their xbox.  They can only play the map if you have loaded it and have invited them.   If you are invited to someone elses game and world you dont control the saves, they do.
Hope this simplifies what the others have been trying to say.

You missed what I was trying to say entirely.  The seed is not your generated map.  The seed is the string of characters (numbers or letters) that the game uses to generate a map.  If two people use the same seed string, they get the same generated map.  There is no restriction on telling other people your seed string, so two people can use the same one if they wish.

However, what they do to the map (building, mining, etc.) after it is generated is not part of the seed string.  That data is saved in your gamesave file.  These cannot be "shared" in terms of uploading them and/or downloading them.  They cannot to copied to another Xbox..unless the owner of that gamersave is playing on that Xbox.  The owner of the gamesave is the person who first generated that gamesave.

If playing online, the owner of the gamesave may allow other people (up to 7 others at a time) to join his world; but he must be playing in that world in order for this to take place.  The gamesave is also only saved on the one Xbox and owner of the gamesave controls when progress in the game is saved.  If the owner the gamesave exits the game, the others will be automatically kicked at that point.