Latest News Article

Can't connect to Minecraft Server

first time port forward static ip

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Akamukai

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Problem Solved

Hey guys, I've set up (tried at least) my first minecraft server, vanilla but whenever I try to login to it save my personal IP, I get the error:

Failed to connect to server
Connection timed out: connect

I'm trying to enter using the IP that google says I have when I search "my ip address".
Also, canyouseeme says that it can see me (my isp is not blocking my port). Any ideas? I do have some single player mods installed for my minecraft, but even my friend with vanilla minecraft gets the exact same result.

Please and thank you!

Clarity: My Local IP lets me connect to my server, but I can't figure out how to allow friends access.
- I have forwarded my port correctly, according to canyouseeme.
- I've been using my public IP address as provided by google search "my ip address".

Edited by Akamukai, 14 February 2013 - 03:44 PM.

Register or log in to remove.

NotTheOP
    NotTheOP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • Minecraft: NotTheOP

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostAkamukai, on 13 February 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Hey guys, I've set up (tried at least) my first minecraft server, vanilla but whenever I try to login to it save my personal IP, I get the error:

Failed to connect to server
Connection timed out: connect

I'm trying to enter using the IP that google says I have when I search "my ip address".
Also, canyouseeme says that it can see me (my isp is not blocking my port). Any ideas? I do have some single player mods installed for my minecraft, but even my friend with vanilla minecraft gets the exact same result.

Please and thank you!

You need to use your local IP (the one you forwarded ports with) to connect from the host machine.
Posted Image
Email: [email protected] || My email: [email protected]
Our website: Minecraftserverco.org      || Get our help here.

AnUnknownMiner

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

If you are connecting to your sever that is on the same network that you are, its your IPv4 Address (192.168.1.**) or what ever. It may also be that your IP isn't static (The same IP) and that it is changing around, you can make it static but I don't know how.

Please quote me if you want a reply from me!!!

Akamukai

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I said it was happening to my friends as well. I know I can access the server with my own personal IP, but I can't have anyone else join me. I did set my IP to static as well, by the way.

The idea of canyouseeme was to prove that I forwarded my port correctly (though I'm not 100% sure). Again, for clarity, I did set my IP to static. Since it is the same machine, I know I use my IPv4 address, but what about my friend who wants to play? I've given her the google public IP, but she gets the error and so do I if I use the public IP.

NotTheOP
    NotTheOP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostAkamukai, on 13 February 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

I said it was happening to my friends as well. I know I can access the server with my own personal IP, but I can't have anyone else join me. I did set my IP to static as well, by the way.

The idea of canyouseeme was to prove that I forwarded my port correctly (though I'm not 100% sure). Again, for clarity, I did set my IP to static. Since it is the same machine, I know I use my IPv4 address, but what about my friend who wants to play? I've given her the google public IP, but she gets the error and so do I if I use the public IP.

Canyouseeme can see 25565, but your friends can't seem to connect?

Check if your ISP blocks connections.
Check if your firewall blocks connections.
Make sure that in the server.properties the server-ip is blank and online-mode is true.
And if you want, give me the IP so I can test if I can connect. If I can, your friends have the problem.
Posted Image

Akamukai

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I figured out my ISP's Gateway had its own unique firewall settings and beyond that, my friend was just having bad internet connections it seems. When I set my firewall to minimal, she was eventually able to enter.

I appreciate the help though. You were right, I just happened to figure it out on my own after a few hours.. Haha.

Thank you, topic closed. :)

NotTheOP
    NotTheOP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostAkamukai, on 14 February 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

I figured out my ISP's Gateway had its own unique firewall settings and beyond that, my friend was just having bad internet connections it seems. When I set my firewall to minimal, she was eventually able to enter.

I appreciate the help though. You were right, I just happened to figure it out on my own after a few hours.. Haha.

Thank you, topic closed. Posted Image

Great that you got it working!

And you're welcome, I'm happy to help ^_^
Posted Image

sxedyl
    sxedyl

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I am having a similar problem. First when I look up my ip address from my computer it is different from the one I receive if I search it on google. I made my ip address static but they are still different. So I cant create my own server at all. Also when I put in any other servers, the popular ones that aren't ip addresses it still doesn't allow me to connect. Any ideas please??

Andrew_the_MCer
  • Minecraft: andrewmcer

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

View Postsxedyl, on 28 June 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

I am having a similar problem. First when I look up my ip address from my computer it is different from the one I receive if I search it on google. I made my ip address static but they are still different. So I cant create my own server at all. Also when I put in any other servers, the popular ones that aren't ip addresses it still doesn't allow me to connect. Any ideas please??

go to start, search cmd, open command prompt and type: ipconfig
it will show you all the ip stuff

LavaGaming

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:28 AM

I have the same problem! Every time I connect to a server, it keeps saying:
Posted Image
Please help me!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image