• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft: Pi Edition on other platforms?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Hoolean
    Hoolean

Tree Puncher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 35 posts
  • Minecraft: MrBluebear3

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hey there! First can I say I do do programming, so I do understand basic principles of coding :)

Does anyone know how easy it would be to patch Minecraft Pi Edition to work on an intel processor (still on debian) or even on a different operating system entirely?

^The message is up there -.- ^

Bukkit Developer :D

Register or log in to remove.

Nimphina
    Nimphina

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 18361 posts
  • Minecraft: blockPAVer

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Minecraft Pi edition has been based on Minecraft Pocket edition which has been specifically developed for ARM processors, not x86 processors and it is unlikely that they will ever port it over to x86 because of the existence of the PC version.

Patches would not work because the game would have to be recompiled to work on x86 and you would need the source code to do that.

Minecraft_ICBM_mod_master

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

You can use QEMU if you just want to run your file on a PC. Please note that you need linux to run it, but if you meet that requirement then qemu can emulate raspbian and therefore MCPi. If you don't have Linux on your PC I suggest a dual-boot. A virtual machine in that case would take up too much RAM (since you are emulating a pi inside an emulation of a PC)
The Woofus is hungry!

Nimphina
    Nimphina

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 18361 posts
  • Minecraft: blockPAVer

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

View PostMinecraft_ICBM_mod_master, on 13 February 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

You can use QEMU if you just want to run your file on a PC. Please note that you need linux to run it, but if you meet that requirement then qemu can emulate raspbian and therefore MCPi. If you don't have Linux on your PC I suggest a dual-boot. A virtual machine in that case would take up too much RAM (since you are emulating a pi inside an emulation of a PC)
There are qemu windows binaries available. http://lassauge.free.fr/qemu/

mcpipy
    mcpipy

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

You can also try http://mcpipy.wordpr...a-raspberry-pi/ -- this works great for the scripts referenced on the site!

Hoolean
    Hoolean

Tree Puncher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 35 posts
  • Minecraft: MrBluebear3

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostNimphina, on 13 February 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

Minecraft Pi edition has been based on Minecraft Pocket edition which has been specifically developed for ARM processors, not x86 processors and it is unlikely that they will ever port it over to x86 because of the existence of the PC version.

Patches would not work because the game would have to be recompiled to work on x86 and you would need the source code to do that.
Thanks for your useful and informationally rich reply :)

View PostMinecraft_ICBM_mod_master, on 13 February 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

I will possibly look into this :D

View Postmcpipy, on 15 February 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

You can also try http://mcpipy.wordpr...a-raspberry-pi/ -- this works great for the scripts referenced on the site!
What a great idea!
^The message is up there -.- ^

Bukkit Developer :D