Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Mod pack launcher

modpack cannibalpack divinerpg trailmix icbm buildcraft.

  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1

CannibalApples

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi guys! Ok so i am making a mod pack (called the cannibal pack) And i would love for it to have a custom launcher. Is there anyone out there who knows how to make one! I would be so grateful if somebody could help me! Thanks!

Register or log in to remove.

#2

RedAbsol0
    RedAbsol0

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Well you shouldn't even really be thinking about a launcher yet. You need EVERY single modders permission for their mods to be put in your pack (unless they say anyone can use it) but you still need to put their names and the links to the separate mods. Sorry to be a pain :L
ヽ(*・ω・)ノ Be Happy

#3

minecraftman56763
  • Minecraft: christopher0936

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

you could still tell the guy how to do it
Posted Image

#4

LegendaryKoala
  • Minecraft: LegendaryKoala

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

View Postdarkster9757, on 10 February 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Well you shouldn't even really be thinking about a launcher yet. You need EVERY single modders permission for their mods to be put in your pack (unless they say anyone can use it) but you still need to put their names and the links to the separate mods. Sorry to be a pain :L

Actually that is only for public modpacks~ if your modpack is considered a private (As it will only work for 1 specific server and those that download the pack are part of your community.) But still it is good to have permissions, however it is not required.

A common thing I will see on the forums is someone trying to say "You can't do this step because you haven't done; x,y,z". And frankly I'm quite tired of hearing it. You can start where ever you see fit however as a word of caution you will need to dedicate multiple hours searching trying and failing before you succeed in making a launcher.

The first step will be to figure out which language you'll want to make your launcher in.
For mine I used c# as I am already familiar with most of the c# and vb library.

The second step will be to figure out what you want your launcher to do.
- You could simply start up minecraft through a simple application or you could create the java environment for minecraft so that it starts specifically how you see fit for the pack.
- Most launchers have a patcher included (this is what updates content automatically when a player runs the application). For this I used a .dll to check an online version and compare it to a local file "UpdateVersion.dat". If the Online version is higher then the local version it will downloaded the files I have put in the patch for this specific update.

Some tips and things to think about ^.
Its good to have a basic version and then your updated version. Regardless of what you decide upon you will need to download the minecraft.jar from minecraft.net~ your application should be able to easily do this automatically.

The third step is creating the gui container and what the launcher looks like.
- Again I used visual studio so this part was fairly easy and was also a core reason why I chose c# over java as my first launcher. The gui is highly customizable and easy to use for beginner/intermediate program devs like myself.

The last step (or the first step in the next area of your launcher) is decided if you want your player to log in via your launcher or simply run a new instance of the minecraft.exe

I choose the latter not because it was just easier but more so because people tend to trust what they know. A lot of people refuse to use multimc and many other minecraft application because they feel at risk when plugging in their account information. Even if source code is shown and it is clear that there is no mal intent~ people still tend to worry.

And thats it. ~Thats really all I can guide you with. I cannot give you the code I use because A. I had to created it myself and I just don't want other infringing upon my work. And B. There are literally hundreds of ways your can create the code for this project. But youll need to find what suites you ^.^

The idea is to keep the code simple yet effective.~ Thats what makes it easy to use and understandable yet powerful. Could you live without your desktop shortcuts? Yet people overlook those types of things all the time.

Good luck ^.^

#5

PolarBubble
  • Location: Netherlands

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Use the FTB "Private Pack"

If you wish a response from me, make sure to quote me!

If my post has helped you, please "vote my post up"!

If you wish a private conversation, feel free to send me a PM.


#6

TheKillbot42

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

I am thinking of setting up my own is there any website that would allow people to do this?

#7

TKOMOMC111
  • Location: Quebec
  • Minecraft: stuntmania

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Good idea!
In your mod you thing you can put Swag Craft? PM me if you're interested?
Posted Image
If my comment helped you or you just like me, hit the green arrow down there! :D

#8

bcdavis13

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostMinecraftScavenger, on 14 February 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

Use the FTB "Private Pack"
how do you create a private pack with FTB?

#9

GustoniaEagle

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostLegendaryKoala, on 14 February 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

Actually that is only for public modpacks~ if your modpack is considered a private (As it will only work for 1 specific server and those that download the pack are part of your community.) But still it is good to have permissions, however it is not required.

A common thing I will see on the forums is someone trying to say "You can't do this step because you haven't done; x,y,z". And frankly I'm quite tired of hearing it. You can start where ever you see fit however as a word of caution you will need to dedicate multiple hours searching trying and failing before you succeed in making a launcher.

The first step will be to figure out which language you'll want to make your launcher in.
For mine I used c# as I am already familiar with most of the c# and vb library.

The second step will be to figure out what you want your launcher to do.
- You could simply start up minecraft through a simple application or you could create the java environment for minecraft so that it starts specifically how you see fit for the pack.
- Most launchers have a patcher included (this is what updates content automatically when a player runs the application). For this I used a .dll to check an online version and compare it to a local file "UpdateVersion.dat". If the Online version is higher then the local version it will downloaded the files I have put in the patch for this specific update.

Some tips and things to think about ^.
Its good to have a basic version and then your updated version. Regardless of what you decide upon you will need to download the minecraft.jar from minecraft.net~ your application should be able to easily do this automatically.

The third step is creating the gui container and what the launcher looks like.
- Again I used visual studio so this part was fairly easy and was also a core reason why I chose c# over java as my first launcher. The gui is highly customizable and easy to use for beginner/intermediate program devs like myself.

The last step (or the first step in the next area of your launcher) is decided if you want your player to log in via your launcher or simply run a new instance of the minecraft.exe

I choose the latter not because it was just easier but more so because people tend to trust what they know. A lot of people refuse to use multimc and many other minecraft application because they feel at risk when plugging in their account information. Even if source code is shown and it is clear that there is no mal intent~ people still tend to worry.

And thats it. ~Thats really all I can guide you with. I cannot give you the code I use because A. I had to created it myself and I just don't want other infringing upon my work. And B. There are literally hundreds of ways your can create the code for this project. But youll need to find what suites you ^.^

The idea is to keep the code simple yet effective.~ Thats what makes it easy to use and understandable yet powerful. Could you live without your desktop shortcuts? Yet people overlook those types of things all the time.

Good luck ^.^
Thanks for the advice this really helps! Now to learn more advanced coding...

View Postbcdavis13, on 23 March 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

how do you create a private pack with FTB?
At the moment the FTB team are not accepting any more applications for mod packs as all the slots are taken, if there are any free slots you have to go on their forums and message 2 or more of the mod pack team with a MultiMC instance of your pack as well as a 16x16 splash image. A template of this can be found on their forums.

#10

bcdavis13

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostGustoniaEagle, on 24 March 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice this really helps! Now to learn more advanced coding...


At the moment the FTB team are not accepting any more applications for mod packs as all the slots are taken, if there are any free slots you have to go on their forums and message 2 or more of the mod pack team with a MultiMC instance of your pack as well as a 16x16 splash image. A template of this can be found on their forums.
im not saying to make a public pack, i want to make a pack that only i can use

#11

GustoniaEagle

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

View Postbcdavis13, on 26 March 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

im not saying to make a public pack, i want to make a pack that only i can use
That's what I am saying, I probably should of said applications for Private Packs instead! Sorry for the confusion!

#12

NoahWL1
    NoahWL1

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

I am also wondering this.  I've made a jar installer, but it has a lot of extra files.  I really need a one-file EXE launcher or installer.
Need an awesome Minecraft server? Then join now! IP: NoahCraft.zapto.org Server Website: MCNoahCraft.enjin.com We have: - Survival Games! - Creative! - MCMMO! - Factions! - PvP/Raid Survival! - MobArena! - 4GB Deticated Server! - 24/7 - More to Come! -Stop Reading This and JOIN NOW!

#13

nishnosh

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

to make a launcher you need to learn lots and lots of advanced code and stuff. I would suggest techinc platform (technicpack.net). upload the modpack to dropbox and make a technic account and hey presto! it allows you to add your modpack to the technic launcher.
P.S there are more detailed guides than this in other places.
Posted Image
Get A cheap minecraft server - here

#14

firespark000001
  • Location: Right behind you, Nice Shirt
  • Minecraft: firespark000001

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostLegendaryKoala, on 14 February 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

you could create the java environment for minecraft so that it starts specifically how you see fit for the pack.
How would you do this?
Posted Image

#15

Flenix
    Flenix

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1066 posts
  • Location: Northampton, UK
  • Minecraft: Flenix
  • Xbox:Flenix

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostLegendaryKoala, on 14 February 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

Actually that is only for public modpacks~ if your modpack is considered a private (As it will only work for 1 specific server and those that download the pack are part of your community.) But still it is good to have permissions, however it is not required.

Not true. Many modders still require permission for use in a private pack - I certainly do. for private packs I'll say yes every time providing they ask, but if they don't ask I simply add their usernames to the mods internal banlist and block them from loading it.

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Paving the way to a better world! Posted Image Posted Image


#16

firespark000001
  • Location: Right behind you, Nice Shirt
  • Minecraft: firespark000001

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostFlenix, on 14 October 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Not true. Many modders still require permission for use in a private pack - I certainly do. for private packs I'll say yes every time providing they ask, but if they don't ask I simply add their usernames to the mods internal banlist and block them from loading it.
But how do you know they are using the mod in a modpack if it's private? :)
Posted Image

#17

Flenix
    Flenix

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1066 posts
  • Location: Northampton, UK
  • Minecraft: Flenix
  • Xbox:Flenix

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

View Postfirespark000001, on 14 October 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

But how do you know they are using the mod in a modpack if it's private? Posted Image

Often even private modpacks will somewhere mention what mods they use as part of promotion. They'd have on their forum page "Includes XYZ mod!". Those results show up on google.

Plus, I maintain a public list of everyone who has permission for my mods, and ask users to report those who aren't on the list ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Paving the way to a better world! Posted Image Posted Image