In my eyes, the core at Minecraft is survival, right? Yes there are the redstoners, builders, modders and map-makers (awesome people, don't get me wrong), but getting dirty and surviving is the essence of the game. You mine, and you craft.
The survival content of the game is becoming watered down with a bounty of new mechanics, which is making it too easy. Take a look at old let's plays from Alpha/Early Beta versions of the game, and you'll notice a few things:
- Mobs (especially zombies) seem to be able to hit you from a good 2/3 blocks away.
- No hunger bar! Dungeon runs are actually a challenge. You tend to die a lot.
- Cocoa beans are treasured! A cookie is a "special" occasion.
- Slimes are a god-send, found only in rare underground caves.
- Mushrooms? You'll need to go on a caving expedition to collect those.
- Apples and golden apples, only found in dungeons.
My proposal is a new difficulty setting called Extreme (or whatever), it could look something like this:
- Higher mob attack strengths (at least a 2 heart increase).
- Increased mob health.
- Mobs spawn more frequently.
- Mobs can spot you from further away.
- % chance of mobs dropping loot decreased.
- Higher % chance of being poisoned by Raw Chicken and Rotten Flesh.
- Higher exhaustion level increase for all actions (players will sprint less).
- Less frequent villages.
- As suggested: Better mob AI, becuase buffing numbers is artificial difficulty.
- Ore density (eh, once you have a set of iron armour and a bunch of diamonds, your set).
- Number of ravines (IMO ravines are cooler than villages and strongholds combined).
- Healing power of foods (this will compensate slightly for the increased power of mobs).
Another minor rant. Does anybody else feel like theres certain game mechanics that don't feel finished? As of the addition of quartz, blazes, fortresses and nether mobs, a nether portal has finally become a worthwhile investment. But here are some things that just feel incomplete or unrealistic:
- Trading - Better and more deals.
- Potion brewing - Needs more ingredients and some kind of fuel.
- The End - It's rubbish, sorry but it simply is. Lacks a point, except a really easy fight.
- Wither fights - Why should the player get the choice of being attacked by the wither? Why not have it randomly spawn in caves (very rarely of course)! And only in extreme mode.