Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Bottle O Enchanting

bottle enchanting

  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1

dinosuzuki

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but i could not find anything using search.

As bottles o enchanting are only available through trading, which is not yet available on xbox, i would assume they are not yet in the xbox version.

however, the tutorial not only contains bottles o enchanting, but makes an explicit point of teaching the player how to use them.

so, outside of cheating and going into creative mode, how am i supposed to get these bottles o enchanting in survival?

again, apologies if this is a tired topc.

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Apathy
    Apathy

    Obsidian Miner

  • Members
  • 1395 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Not 100% on this.   But I'd take a guess and say, That Its only in the tutorial world.

#3

wolfeuk
    wolfeuk

    Nether Resident

  • Members
  • 2352 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

View Postdinosuzuki, on 05 February 2013 - 01:51 AM, said:

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but i could not find anything using search.

As bottles o enchanting are only available through trading, which is not yet available on xbox, i would assume they are not yet in the xbox version.

however, the tutorial not only contains bottles o enchanting, but makes an explicit point of teaching the player how to use them.

so, outside of cheating and going into creative mode, how am i supposed to get these bottles o enchanting in survival?

again, apologies if this is a tired topc.

they are in the game but you have to go to creative to get them

btw going into creative isnt cheating !!

#4

dinosuzuki

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

Its only cheating depending on how youre trying to play. just seems like it would make playing survival pointless if you go into creative and pop whatever you want unto your chest.

oh, i guess i have one more question. is the end/end portals in the game? been throwing my eye of ender all over this stronghold, and cant find a thing.

View Postwolfeuk, on 05 February 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

they are in the game but you have to go to creative to get them

btw going into creative isnt cheating !!



they are in the game but you have to go to creative to get them

btw going into creative isnt cheating !!


#5

wolfeuk
    wolfeuk

    Nether Resident

  • Members
  • 2352 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

View Postdinosuzuki, on 05 February 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

Its only cheating depending on how youre trying to play. just seems like it would make playing survival pointless if you go into creative and pop whatever you want unto your chest.

oh, i guess i have one more question. is the end/end portals in the game? been throwing my eye of ender all over this stronghold, and cant find a thing.

the end portals are in the game but there not working yet, next update

at the end of the day the ONLY person your going to cheat is yourself

i like to play survival on my map, but im sooo fed up with mining and dont enjoy it anymore id rather go into creative to do my builds, plus its alot easier with the flying an all, still go into survival to play the game though, only builds in creative

#6

UpUp_Away95
  • Location: Somewhere in my mine (or mind)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

View Postdinosuzuki, on 05 February 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

Its only cheating depending on how youre trying to play. just seems like it would make playing survival pointless if you go into creative and pop whatever you want unto your chest.

oh, i guess i have one more question. is the end/end portals in the game? been throwing my eye of ender all over this stronghold, and cant find a thing.

I think the Bottle O' Enchanting is pretty useless overall. XP is very easy to get in survival and you don't need it to enchant in creative.  Why on earth would I want to trade something that is actually valuable for one?  It seems to me that they keep bringing all this extra "junk" into the game on PC and now, it seems, we're going to be stuck with it all on the Xbox sooner or later.

#7

Nose_Job_for_a_Cowboy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostUpUp_Away95, on 05 February 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I think the Bottle O' Enchanting is pretty useless overall. XP is very easy to get in survival and you don't need it to enchant in creative.  Why on earth would I want to trade something that is actually valuable for one?  It seems to me that they keep bringing all this extra "junk" into the game on PC and now, it seems, we're going to be stuck with it all on the Xbox sooner or later.
All the extra "junk" is still useful to some people. (Except witches... those are stupid.) I plan on using this XP bottle in an interactive redstone project in the future. I won't say much, but it involves pseudo-randomly "generated" dungeons.

#8

UpUp_Away95
  • Location: Somewhere in my mine (or mind)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostNose_Job_For_a_Cowboy, on 05 February 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

All the extra "junk" is still useful to some people. (Except witches... those are stupid.) I plan on using this XP bottle in an interactive redstone project in the future. I won't say much, but it involves pseudo-randomly "generated" dungeons.

I'm glad you're finding a use for it.  I had witches... and bats... and silverfish... in the back of my mind when I posted that.  What IS the use for bats... and silverfish for that matter anyway?  

I find that even enchanting and brewing overlap/duplicate each other in some ways.  For example, Fire Protection armor and Fire Resistance potions do much the same thing... and then there's also all the specific Protection armor enchantments vs. general Protection;   Efficiency on a pickaxe speeds up mining and then Aqua Infinity on armor also increases underwater mining rate; and then you have the Respiration enchantment on the helmet.

The game brings in a new enemy to be tougher and more difficult to handle... and then it nerfs them or brings in a bunch more stuff is broght in to protect against that enemy.  We're don't have anywhere near the "stuff" the PC version has, but I find myself at times already longing to go back to the simpler, "good ole" days of 1.6.6... When I wasn't tempted to stop everything to look up how to brew a potion or think about exiting without saving so I can keep retrying to get a particular enchantment or spend a bunch of time deciding which song to put into my jukebox or what color of sheep to breed with another color. Posted Image

#9

Nose_Job_for_a_Cowboy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostUpUp_Away95, on 05 February 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

I'm glad you're finding a use for it.  I had witches... and bats... and silverfish... in the back of my mind when I posted that.  What IS the use for bats... and silverfish for that matter anyway?  

I find that even enchanting and brewing overlap/duplicate each other in some ways.  For example, Fire Protection armor and Fire Resistance potions do much the same thing... and then there's also all the specific Protection armor enchantments vs. general Protection;   Efficiency on a pickaxe speeds up mining and then Aqua Infinity on armor also increases underwater mining rate; and then you have the Respiration enchantment on the helmet.

The game brings in a new enemy to be tougher and more difficult to handle... and then it nerfs them or brings in a bunch more stuff is broght in to protect against that enemy.  We're don't have anywhere near the "stuff" the PC version has, but I find myself at times already longing to go back to the simpler, "good ole" days of 1.6.6... When I wasn't tempted to stop everything to look up how to brew a potion or think about exiting without saving so I can keep retrying to get a particular enchantment or spend a bunch of time deciding which song to put into my jukebox or what color of sheep to breed with another color. Posted Image
I believe bats brought along a new item, but don't quote me on that. I'm honestly not sure and frankly it's not worth looking up, imo, it just feels like I've heard/seen that somewhere. Silverfish serve no other purpose but to pwn your face in when there's a large group of them. I kind of like them though, much more dangerous in large numbers than other mobs, you can run away from a group of creepers/skeles/etc. Their holding-blocks are also great for hidden traps.

Potions/enchantments do a lot of the same things, but that's a trait of pretty much all RPGs that have them. Minecraft's downfall is that it is so insanely quick and easy to enchant weapons, armor, and tools. It doesn't feel as special as all the hard work you have to go through to obtain decent enchantments in a game like Skyrim. In games like this, you would actually use those potions for quite awhile as a temporary replacement for that enchantment you want. You can become OP in most RPGs, but it can happen over the course of about 20 hours in a Minecraft world. This is one of the main things that keeps me from enjoying survival, the RPG elements are there but extremely flawed, I could care less about resource collection and spelunking.

If you want an RPG that gives you a challenge and even includes tunneling, (basically mining) check out Angband. It's one of the most well-developed roguelikes I've ever played, it makes it easy for n00bs to get into roguelikes with their extremely intuitive command system, and it's completely free. If you want an RPG that is just completely ridiculously hard to the point of losing your sanity trying to beat the game, look for NetHack. It is also free, but be prepared to read through a large guide and study a very large page of keybindings. I would recommend Dwarf Fortress, but if you think Minecraft is already becoming too complex, you will absolutely hate DF. It's a lot like MC, except you control a growing population of dwarves, have to make sure they're taken care of and happy, have to watch out for monsters, build workshops and other structures, make sure vampires don't infiltrate your community, mine for thousands of types of gems, metals, stone, make sure your dwarves have clean water. *pauses for deep breath* Set up militias to defend your fort, make dwarves to care for livestock, appoint dwarves as nobles to be tasked with major responsibilities, make sure you don't mine into a cave containing a legendary beast, trade goods with caravan merchants, craft 50,000 different items, adorn said items with valuable gems. There are about a million other things you have to do, but this list is already too long. :P

#10

dinosuzuki

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

hmm, i both agree and disagree with you. Encanting, admittedly, could use some beefing up.though i do kind of like the randomization, being able t
o pick the level, and the use of bookshelves to strengthen enchantments. i find potionmaking infintely more enjoyable in minecraft than in skyrim though. or at least i would if there were a greater number of potions to make. for some reason, its way more fun mixing your ingredients one at a time and having to wait 20 seconds for each ingredient to go through, than simply picking all your ingredients from a menu and then boom, you have a potion. it actually feels like you made something in minecraft.

i was actually way addicted to skyrim before minecraft came along and stopped that
addiction in its tracks. for me, minecraft makes skyrim look 2 dimensional. what its more traditional rpg elements lack, it makes up for in the neccesity of inhabiting and using the environment around you. you never really inhabit the world of skyrim. you just walk around admiring the non-destructible mountains, and then go to sleep in the non-customizable house you bought.

but then again, im the type of player that loves mining, hunting for resources, and spelunking.

*edit. ive also been playing dwarf fortress. good game, but i wouldnt really ever compare it to minecraft. its easy to see how it influenced minecraft, but the two things offer completely different experiences. if i went into DF thinking it was like minecraft, i would have had the wrong expectations and probably would have turned DF off 20 minutes in.

View PostNose_Job_For_a_Cowboy, on 05 February 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

I believe bats brought along a new item, but don't quote me on that. I'm honestly not sure and frankly it's not worth looking up, imo, it just feels like I've heard/seen that somewhere. Silverfish serve no other purpose but to pwn your face in when there's a large group of them. I kind of like them though, much more dangerous in large numbers than other mobs, you can run away from a group of creepers/skeles/etc. Their holding-blocks are also great for hidden traps.

Potions/enchantments do a lot of the same things, but that's a trait of pretty much all RPGs that have them. Minecraft's downfall is that it is so insanely quick and easy to enchant weapons, armor, and tools. It doesn't feel as special as all the hard work you have to go through to obtain decent enchantments in a game like Skyrim. In games like this, you would actually use those potions for quite awhile as a temporary replacement for that enchantment you want. You can become OP in most RPGs, but it can happen over the course of about 20 hours in a Minecraft world. This is one of the main things that keeps me from enjoying survival, the RPG elements are there but extremely flawed, I could care less about resource collection and spelunking.

If you want an RPG that gives you a challenge and even includes tunneling, (basically mining) check out Angband. It's one of the most well-developed roguelikes I've ever played, it makes it easy for n00bs to get into roguelikes with their extremely intuitive command system, and it's completely free. If you want an RPG that is just completely ridiculously hard to the point of losing your sanity trying to beat the game, look for NetHack. It is also free, but be prepared to read through a large guide and study a very large page of keybindings. I would recommend Dwarf Fortress, but if you think Minecraft is already becoming too complex, you will absolutely hate DF. It's a lot like MC, except you control a growing population of dwarves, have to make sure they're taken care of and happy, have to watch out for monsters, build workshops and other structures, make sure vampires don't infiltrate your community, mine for thousands of types of gems, metals, stone, make sure your dwarves have clean water. *pauses for deep breath* Set up militias to defend your fort, make dwarves to care for livestock, appoint dwarves as nobles to be tasked with major responsibilities, make sure you don't mine into a cave containing a legendary beast, trade goods with caravan merchants, craft 50,000 different items, adorn said items with valuable gems. There are about a million other things you have to do, but this list is already too long. Posted Image


#11

conedx
    conedx

    Iron Miner

  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

it's kind of hidden in the creative menu, btw. it's NOT with the other potions.

took me forever to find it because of that.

#12

Skulblaka008
  • Location: Fallen Kingdom before the Fall
  • Xbox:Skulblaka010

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

Personally, I think the Bottles O Enchanting are pretty useless EXCEPT as a way to get a lot of experience faster than the conventional ways.  Having to leave the game, reload the game, leave the game again, and reload the game a second time is annoying, though.  That's why in most maps I'm willing to go into Creative in, I just have a chest dedicated to 36 full stacks of BoE.
Posted Image

#13

RawBert108

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostUpUp_Away95, on 05 February 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I think the Bottle O' Enchanting is pretty useless overall. XP is very easy to get in survival and you don't need it to enchant in creative.  Why on earth would I want to trade something that is actually valuable for one?  It seems to me that they keep bringing all this extra "junk" into the game on PC and now, it seems, we're going to be stuck with it all on the Xbox sooner or later.

What I've found it's most entertaining use is for, is in pvp. was watching a youtube video of people pvping. you could find some random chests with bottles of enchant. The two teams had time to go gather resources, mine, try and get weapons armor and resources together. they were trying to level enchant everything they were using. so it was actually kind of interesting. being able to find these bottles of enchant to level 1 enchant things really quick to prepare for pvp

#14

Sku11King77
  • Location: England
  • Minecraft: Sku11King77
  • Xbox:Sku11King77

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Back on topic, bottles of enchanting will (or should) be available next update, as that is when (we think) villager trading will become available. They are useful for gaining quick levels, and can be indirectly farmed (for example, a villager wants 15 wheat for 1 emerald, and will give you 3 BoE per emerald, so wheat farm = xp). experience levels will also become more useful when things like anvils and book enchanting are added.

Also currently BoE's are useful in adventure maps and survival games as hidden loot to help people get better gear.

Oh and as a sidenote, I play Pc MC with many magic mods which require levels to do a great many things, so believe me when you need xp as much as I do BoE become very valuable :)

#15

magimangr

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

I just hope we can someday be allowed to actually make them. I know it would probably take some work to make though.