Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Modding without modloader or forge

help! modding

  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1

Assossa1337
  • Minecraft: AssossaGPB

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

So I was recently put on a modding team and found out that we are going to mod without modloader or forge (because we don't want anybody to install other mods with this one). I was wondering if anyone knows of any good guides to making a 1.4.6 mod without modloader or forge.

Thanks in advance!

Posted Image


Register or log in to remove.

#2

RedFoxy3

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Nope, no guides or tutorials on "modding without Forge (or the outdated ModLoader). Use MinecraftForge, period. People should be able to use mods like THEY want, not like YOU want them to, however you can *SUGGEST* that it'll be best alone.
This should be on the frontpage of every forum http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JmvCpR45LKA

#3

Assossa1337
  • Minecraft: AssossaGPB

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I have the same opinion, but the leader insists on not using either. But he can't mod, so he doesn't realize how hard it is without modloader

Posted Image


#4

Xuluf
    Xuluf

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostAssossa1337, on 04 February 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

I have the same opinion, but the leader insists on not using either. But he can't mod, so he doesn't realize how hard it is without modloader
Just tell him that if you won't be using any of these API's you'll have to edit base classes = any mod with modloader or forge won't work :3 Not even some mods without the use of API's won't be able to be on at the same time :3
Did i help u? If I did please be kind, give my post a Thumb up at the bottom of my post.

WATCH MY BEAUTIFUL ART!
http://mrpancakewolfie.deviantart.com/

#5

Assossa1337
  • Minecraft: AssossaGPB

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostGonfa, on 04 February 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Just tell him that if you won't be using any of these API's you'll have to edit base classes = any mod with modloader or forge won't work :3 Not even some mods without the use of API's won't be able to be on at the same time :3

That's his point. The mod is basically like tekkit or voltz, in the sense of it completely redefines how you play, except it is all one mod. I asked him if we can make our own version of modloader.

Posted Image


#6

Brinith
    Brinith

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostAssossa1337, on 04 February 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

That's his point. The mod is basically like tekkit or voltz, in the sense of it completely redefines how you play, except it is all one mod. I asked him if we can make our own version of modloader.
......tekkit and voltz are modpacks...they are just a group of mods. and plus they use forge lol and you can add more mods to them if u wanted to. tell him that.

Plus making a custom modloader aint gonna be that easy.
Strangers always have the best candy

My $200* rig - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/IsU

#7

RedFoxy3

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostBrinith, on 04 February 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

......tekkit and voltz are modpacks...they are just a group of mods. and plus they use forge lol and you can add more mods to them if u wanted to. tell him that.

Plus making a custom modloader aint gonna be that easy.

If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't say anything about the subject, okay?



If this so called "lelader" can't even code, and you guys are doing all the work, then just use MinecraftForge, because it'll be YOUR mod, not his. :)
This should be on the frontpage of every forum http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JmvCpR45LKA

#8

ShaneCraft

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

A leader of a modding group, that doesnt even modify anything, odd. Anyhow, it's not very different from using modloader or forge, the only benefit is that it adds a better compatibility to game, due the fact you don't have to override biome classes, entityrenderer classes, blockrenderer etc, etc....
If you want to know how to render a mob, search for anything containing entitychicken/cow/pig/skeleton.... it should direct you to the correct files to add your code into.

#9

Reika
    Reika

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2613 posts
  • Location: Toronto, Canada
  • Minecraft: Reika_Kalseki

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

I am faced with the following question - what is this so-called "leader" going to do if he cannot even supply basic code (yet sees no problem in forcing you into arbitrary and frankly stupid rules)?

Feel free to support me and my mods  Posted Image

----------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image


#10

Brinith
    Brinith

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostRedFoxy3, on 04 February 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't say anything about the subject, okay?



If this so called "lelader" can't even code, and you guys are doing all the work, then just use MinecraftForge, because it'll be YOUR mod, not his. Posted Image

So you think  making a mod loader is easy? Even without coding one, even I know it will be hard lol.
Though, I agree with your second comment. You are probably going to do the most since he doesn't know how to code so you should have more power over the group's choices/decisions.
Strangers always have the best candy

My $200* rig - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/IsU

#11

RedFoxy3

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

Making a ModLoader is *easy*, yet pointless.



Like I stated before. Your code meas your mod, no one else should have any say in the matter.
This should be on the frontpage of every forum http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JmvCpR45LKA

#12

Brinith
    Brinith

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostRedFoxy3, on 05 February 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

Making a ModLoader is *easy*, yet pointless.



Like I stated before. Your code meas your mod, no one else should have any say in the matter.

I will only believe that statement when you actually make one.
Strangers always have the best candy

My $200* rig - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/IsU

#13

sheenrox82
  • Location: In my room.
  • Minecraft: sheenrox82
  • Xbox:sheenrox82

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

View PostBrinith, on 05 February 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

I will only believe that statement when you actually make one.
I think he meant making a version of the mod for ModLoader. If I'm wrong and it wasn't a typo... Oh well.

Posted Image

"Nothing is impossible, it's just that you haven't figured out a way to make it work."


#14

Portadiam
    Portadiam

    Retired Fuzznado

  • Retired Staff
  • 1011 posts
  • Location: Running around fixing bugs
  • Minecraft: Portadiam

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

It is fully possible to make a mod without Forge or ModLoader (I did this before moving to ModLoader to get an idea of how Minecraft worked) and it is possible for you to make a mod loader but time consuming and pointless as both FML and ML will still be better.

I would recommend moving to forge but still here are some non modloader/forge tutorials but other than these you can just experiment:



Please give me a Posted Image if this was useful. Posted Image

#15

RedFoxy3

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostBrinith, on 05 February 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

I will only believe that statement when you actually make one.

Making a ModLoader. Hack a baseclass, make a new class that extends ClassLoader.

Boom. a crap ModLoader.
This should be on the frontpage of every forum http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JmvCpR45LKA

#16

MokkoRocket
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Minecraft: MokoRocket

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

everyone is saying that u cant mod withought modloader. wow. go ahead and download the elemental swords mod
Hello! I stream games such as Minecraft on Twitch.TV! Check it out here: http://twitch.tv/theandroidproject

#17

fenceFoil

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

There aren't a lot of general guides on this, that I've found. The best guide is Minecraft itself.

After modding with no APIs for a year, my best friend is the "Ctrl+H" shortcut in Eclipse: it lets you find what code uses what methods, and where. When in doubt, find something similar to the effect you want and imitate it. If you can't figure out how a system works, just use Ctrl+H to surf Minecraft until you find and understand its parts.

There are some parts of ModLoader / Forge that are easy to replicate yourself. Registering network packets, blocks, etc. can be done by reflection (and have I learned about reflection doing this). If you extend a block class, you can put code in its constructor that acts nearly the same as ModLoader's "onLoad()," and if you have that spawn a thread that checks for and places a dummy Entity in the World, its "update()" method is the same as ModLoader's "onTick()." Etc.

If you have any questions in particular, PM me and I can try to offer advice!

#18

Alosson
    Alosson

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 526 posts
  • Location: Training Room
  • Minecraft: CyberstormFromLU
  • Xbox:MinecraftTroy

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Its been done before, but altering class files can cause minecraft not to work with other mods which use those class files.
Posted Image

#19

RedFoxy3

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostfenceFoil, on 09 February 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

There aren't a lot of general guides on this, that I've found. The best guide is Minecraft itself.

After modding with no APIs for a year, my best friend is the "Ctrl+H" shortcut in Eclipse: it lets you find what code uses what methods, and where. When in doubt, find something similar to the effect you want and imitate it. If you can't figure out how a system works, just use Ctrl+H to surf Minecraft until you find and understand its parts.

There are some parts of ModLoader / Forge that are easy to replicate yourself. Registering network packets, blocks, etc. can be done by reflection (and have I learned about reflection doing this). If you extend a block class, you can put code in its constructor that acts nearly the same as ModLoader's "onLoad()," and if you have that spawn a thread that checks for and places a dummy Entity in the World, its "update()" method is the same as ModLoader's "onTick()." Etc.

If you have any questions in particular, PM me and I can try to offer advice!

It can be done, BUT it's a very bad idea.
This should be on the frontpage of every forum http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JmvCpR45LKA

#20

MokkoRocket
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Minecraft: MokoRocket

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostRedFoxy3, on 10 February 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

It can be done, BUT it's a very bad idea.

as much as I like non-modloader and non-forge mods, I have to agree with this one
Hello! I stream games such as Minecraft on Twitch.TV! Check it out here: http://twitch.tv/theandroidproject