• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

BrindIf
    BrindIf

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

I found a witch hut, and I had no idea about what it was. I settled in, put a bed, light it, changed some blocks.
Now that I know witches are supposed to spawn in it, I would like to meet one. I took the torches off and waited during the night, but nothing happened. Did I do something wrong? Should I wait longer?

Thanks!

Register or log in to remove.

The_Cat_In_Purple_Boots

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Mobs can't spawn within 25 blocks of you.The witch may have also killed herself, which has happened on occasion.
The last time I updated my signature was in August of 2011.
It is now August of 2013.
[url="http://www.minecraft...topic/1778085-"][img]http://i.imgur.com/IZV9lZq.gif[/img][/url]

IronMagus

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostBrindIf, on 03 February 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

I took the torches off and waited during the night, but nothing happened. Did I do something wrong? Should I wait longer?
Mobs do not spawn within 24 blocks of any player, so you must wait at least 25 blocks or more away from the hut to have any chance for a witch to spawn.  Witches share the mob cap with other hostile mobs, so if the cap is already full then no witches will spawn.  You can reduce other mob spawns by lighting up the caves and surface within 144 blocks of the witch hut, or covering the ground with water, glass, half-slabs, or other blocks on which mobs can not spawn.
Village Mechanics: A not-so-brief guide - Update for 1.4! Added subsection on iron farming to the iron golems section. Only ten villagers required to spawn golems (down from sixteen)! Put to rest the "facing doors cancel each other" myth!

View PostTechdolphin, on 30 September 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you say plz because it is shorter than please, I will say no because it is shorter than yes.

Alizona
    Alizona

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I have found three witches huts in swamps since they were added to the game.

In all three instances, there was no witch to be found.  I've still never seen one of these imaginary things they supposedly added to the game.  The witch is a lie!

Am disappoint. :(

jeffreym23

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

I found a hut in a swamp biome while playing the Direwolf20 modpack on the FTB launcher.

This modpack has Thaumcraft3 installed, and while wearing an item in the mod called the Goggles of Revealing, which show you how strong magic (Aura) is in a given area, I came upon the hut. Aura in Thaumcraft3 concentrates into nodes, and there was the strongest node I have ever seen (Aura rating 990) above the hut. Typically, nodes have around 200 - 400 Aura.

There was no witch there, only a cauldron and a flowerpot. It was also during the daytime.
Posted Image

Panda_Doom
  • Minecraft: foosey1

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

I've found a total of 4 witch huts, 3 of which had witches (I wrote down the coords to each one). What are witches good for? I've seen people with witch hut projects, but I don't know what they're for?
Posted Image

Alizona
    Alizona

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostPanda_Doom, on 03 February 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

I've found a total of 4 witch huts, 3 of which had witches (I wrote down the coords to each one). What are witches good for? I've seen people with witch hut projects, but I don't know what they're for?

we don't know either. lol The first one I found was actually the first time I had seen whatever wood planks (spruce?) the huts are made out of, so I broke it down and carted it all away with me.  Posted Image

i don't think witches do anything except look "cool"... like fireworks.

IronMagus

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostPanda_Doom, on 03 February 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

What are witches good for? I've seen people with witch hut projects, but I don't know what they're for?

View PostAlizona, on 03 February 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

we don't know either. [...] i don't think witches do anything except look "cool"... like fireworks.

Like most mobs, you can farm them for item drops.  Witches drop useful potion ingredients, and the occasional not-so-useful sticks:

0–6 Glass Bottle
0–6 Glowstone Dust
0–6 Gunpowder
0–6 Redstone Dust
0–6 Spider Eye
0–6 Stick
0–6 Sugar

...and as a rare drop, sometimes the potions themselves:

0-1 Potion of Healing
0-1 Potion of Fire Resistance
0-1 Potion of Swiftness
Village Mechanics: A not-so-brief guide - Update for 1.4! Added subsection on iron farming to the iron golems section. Only ten villagers required to spawn golems (down from sixteen)! Put to rest the "facing doors cancel each other" myth!

View PostTechdolphin, on 30 September 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you say plz because it is shorter than please, I will say no because it is shorter than yes.

BrindIf
    BrindIf

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

Ok, thanks for the answers. I'm gonna do some caving I guess then. Even if the drops do not really interest me, I think it's fun to meet a new mob!

FeatherGuy

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, I found a witch once and I locked it up in a cage 1 block deep with water and below it was burning netherrack.

Its still there until now.

BrindIf
    BrindIf

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

So I went caving, find a mineshaft, a bunch of diamonds, came out to get some more food after a while... and got poisoned.
My first reaction, after all those cave spiders, was that one of it had somehow followed me, but of course it was the witch who finally spawned and waited for me on the surface.
Thanks for the advice :)