49 replies to this topic

KyWest
    KyWest

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Minecraft: KyWest

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

This tutorial is made with the intention of guiding beginners!

Pictures are included!!

If you got the time or if you are having difficulty understanding parts of the tutorial, I strongly suggest reading all of it.

This tutorial is targeted at Windows PC users.

What is covered in this tutorial?
Spoiler:

A1 - Required Programs
Spoiler:

A2 - Workspace Setup
Spoiler:

B1 - Your First Mod
Spoiler:

B2 - Your First Item
Spoiler:

B3 - Crafting and Smelting Recipes
Spoiler:

B4 - Custom Textures and Icons
Spoiler:

Trouble understanding parts of the tutorial? Post your concerns and help make this tutorial more user-friendly!

Still working on this tutorial. Constructive feedback and comments are appreciated.
If this tutorial helped you, be sure to +1 this post. Posted Image
"Never under-estimate the power that words can impart. Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break hearts." - Tim Minchin

Register or log in to remove.

Hippyhero

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

copy and paste it to a text document and save your work there instead of posting an unfinished thread :/
Depression...

KyWest
    KyWest

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

View PostHippyhero, on 03 February 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

copy and paste it to a text document and save your work there instead of posting an unfinished thread :/

Technically, it is finished.. There is simply potential for more..
Very constructive feedback by the way, thank you..
"Never under-estimate the power that words can impart. Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break hearts." - Tim Minchin

sparton646

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Is there a MANUAL INSTALL version?

KyWest
    KyWest

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

View Postsparton646, on 05 February 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

Is there a MANUAL INSTALL version?

What are you referring to? Manual install version for what?

Cakemoofs

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Time to learn some Java. :P
I'll be checking back here for more! This looks like it's going to be very, very helpfull.

KyWest
    KyWest

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostCakemoofs, on 05 February 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Time to learn some Java. Posted Image
I'll be checking back here for more! This looks like it's going to be very, very helpfull.

Thank you Posted Image
I haven't been prioritizing this too much, but I will be adding more to it periodically.

Edit: Just finished the Your First Item section. Sorry for the spacing problems with the code, it all seems to reset whenever I go to edit the OP. Time for some sleep.

Edited by KyWest, 07 February 2013 - 02:07 AM.

Guillaumtine

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thank you. Thank you! Thank you, for this awesome tutorial. I have been perusing videos and forums for quite some time looking for a thorough tutorial to begin modding with forge, and all of them seemed to lead me to dead ends. After reading and completing your tutorial however, I finally got it to work. I am really looking forward to the next section.Posted Image

FatalSpawn
  • Minecraft: neal301

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Nice tutorial good work!
"He is a cactus mastermind"
Posted Image

pyroFTW
    pyroFTW

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Minecraft: jeffinycricket

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Brilliant tutorial dude. If only Eclipse hadn't shut down their website on the day I finally have chance to make a mod. :P
The meaning to life is to not eat too much beef.

superawesome121
  • Minecraft: superawesome121

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

One question, where would I set up the path.
Posted Image

Nomar
    Nomar

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Minecraft: NomarTheHero

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Wow, this looks great. Opening a spoiler looks like too much to read, but its over before you know it, and really good explained too.

I started modding a week ago, and im now looking whats the difference with Forge. As i see this, Forge looks more general instead of everything a new code, and more organized.

KyWest
    KyWest

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostGuillaumtine, on 08 February 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

Thank you. Thank you! Thank you, for this awesome tutorial. I have been perusing videos and forums for quite some time looking for a thorough tutorial to begin modding with forge, and all of them seemed to lead me to dead ends. After reading and completing your tutorial however, I finally got it to work. I am really looking forward to the next section.Posted Image

^ ^ Glad it helped. I didn't think many people were reading it, but I will try to update it more often from now on.

View Postsuperawesome121, on 10 February 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

One question, where would I set up the path.

You can set the PATH variable by going to My Computer > System Properties > Advanced System Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables... Make sure you edit the User variables (top list) and not the System variables (bottom list).

If you do not have a PATH variable in User variables, create a new one by clicking the New... button under the User variables list.

If this is not clear enough, I can add a picture tutorial like the ones in the OP.

Good luck
- Ky

Ryoka
    Ryoka

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Really useful tutorials :D thanks. Wating for the next one now though... Posted Image

KyWest
    KyWest

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostRyoka, on 11 February 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Really useful tutorials Posted Image thanks. Wating for the next one now though... Posted Image

^ ^ Glad they help. I am working on the Crafting tutorial right now and it will be posted within 30 minutes or so.
I will begin work on the texturing and icons tutorial immediately after and hope to have it done today as well.

You can follow this topic to easily catch changes and additions I make onto the tutorials. :)

pyroFTW
    pyroFTW

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Help! It's not automatically detecting the class file it needs to import and I haven't got a clue how to fix it! :o

KyWest
    KyWest

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostpyroFTW, on 11 February 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Help! It's not automatically detecting the class file it needs to import and I haven't got a clue how to fix it! Posted Image

I'm going to need a bit more information than that to help you > __ <
Copy paste the line of code that your having trouble with.

pyroFTW
    pyroFTW

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostKyWest, on 11 February 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

I'm going to need a bit more information than that to help you > __ <
Copy paste the line of code that your having trouble with.

Never mind, forge just hadn't installed correctly. :P

DimensionalGamer

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Please make more forge mod making tutorials u are pretty good at making simple, easy to understand tutorials. I wanted to learn how to code but couldnt find bupkiss that would work for me. plus make can you make these tutorials here : Your First Mob, Your First Block, Make A 3D Model For Your Mob/Entity, Your First Tile-Entity, Meta-Data, and everything in that sense. heres a notch head Posted Image

DimensionalGamer

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Ok sorry about this post but i must left all this relife (spelled it wrong?) out. But i finally managed to get it to decompile minecraft!!!! ive been sitting here searching google to decompile it cause the forge thing doesnt do anything for me it just sits there doing nothing and sometimes it says the client and server jar arent there plus KyWest be a little more specific as to where the "Path" variable ends i searched it up and it needs to be where a java bin folder is (google it) (maybe im the dumb dumb here cause my pc  that im going to use for modding while at school then passing it over is very slow 1 GB RAM)