Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Whit list ?


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1

Amielya11

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hello,

I hope I'm posting this in the right area of this forum. If not then /i do apologize in advance. I'm not a gamer at all, but my daughter loves minecraft and she saved up her own money to pay for the game. However, the server that she likes to use is suddenly telling her that she is no longer allowed because she's not on the "white list". After googling I'm still puzzled and do not know how to get her on this white list. I have read that you need to contact someone who is in control of the server, but I don't know how to do so. Can any one help me? I think my daughter is having minecraft withdraws LOL! If it matters any, the server she was using is 198.23.148.69:25665

Thanks in advance!

Oops. I meant white* list.

Register or log in to remove.

#2

TowerOfGlass

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hi, Amielia :).

Usually, a whitelist just means they verify that you have a Mojang account (Mojang are the makers of the game; you create a player account with them when you purchase it), and that account doesn't show a record of you're having been banned from other servers for grieifing*, stealing, etc.

The website/forum for the server should have instructions on how to get on the whitelist. It's often filling out a web form, or posting on the forum, or sending an e-mail. On most whitelist servers, the process is pretty routine.

What is your daughter's favorite aspect of the game?

* "Griefing" means "being mean to people, and destroying their stuff, for the fun of it". There are, unfortnately, a lot of immature people -- of all ages -- on the internet.

#3

Wasted49
  • Location: London
  • Minecraft: Avocio

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

basically a white list is a specified list of users who can use a specific server, it is set by the person who runs/ host the server. unless the server host is easily accessible via email ect that server has basically become a no go zone, so it may be time to try a different sever or even single player. sorry i couldn't be of much help.

Posted Image


#4

Amielya11

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostTowerOfGlass, on 31 January 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

Hi, Amielia Posted Image.

Usually, a whitelist just means they verify that you have a Mojang account (Mojang are the makers of the game; you create a player account with them when you purchase it), and that account doesn't show a record of you're having been banned from other servers for grieifing*, stealing, etc.

The website/forum for the server should have instructions on how to get on the whitelist. It's often filling out a web form, or posting on the forum, or sending an e-mail. On most whitelist servers, the process is pretty routine.

What is your daughter's favorite aspect of the game?

* "Griefing" means "being mean to people, and destroying their stuff, for the fun of it". There are, unfortnately, a lot of immature people -- of all ages -- on the internet.

Thank you for your assistance! So what you're saying is that we need to go to the mojang site and go from there to get on the whitelist?  

I asked my daughter what her favorite thing about minecraft is and she said that she thinks it's cool that she can make her own home, protect it, make money and play with other people. So, not just one favorite :)

#5

colorfusion

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostAmielya11, on 31 January 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Thank you for your assistance! So what you're saying is that we need to go to the mojang site and go from there to get on the whitelist?  

Nope, TowerOfGlass explained it a bit confusingly.

There are tens of thousands of servers, most just owned by a user who set up their own server. Mojang doesn't control or really have anything to do with any of the user servers.
A whitelist is a list of people that a server owner can make so their server only allows certain people on, this can be used to only let friends on or make users apply to their server before being let on.

The server owner has for some reason decided to stop letting everyone on the server, if there was no notice then they might have just decided to close it down.

In this case however, under the server in the server list it says in large red writing " MOVED TO 75.66.106.92".

#6

ImDeadOnIdeas

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

The server was moved to 75.66.106.92. See if logging on to that helps.


View PostAmielya11, on 31 January 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Thank you for your assistance! So what you're saying is that we need to go to the mojang site and go from there to get on the whitelist?  

I asked my daughter what her favorite thing about minecraft is and she said that she thinks it's cool that she can make her own home, protect it, make money and play with other people. So, not just one favorite Posted Image
You don't go to Mojang's site to apply for a whitelist. You go to the servers website or forum thread. You can usually apply there.

Aren't contractions just amazing?

Posted Image


#7

Amielya11

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

View Postcolorfusion, on 31 January 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Nope, TowerOfGlass explained it a bit confusingly.

There are tens of thousands of servers, most just owned by a user who set up their own server. Mojang doesn't control or really have anything to do with any of the user servers.
A whitelist is a list of people that a server owner can make so their server only allows certain people on, this can be used to only let friends on or make users apply to their server before being let on.

The server owner has for some reason decided to stop letting everyone on the server, if there was no notice then they might have just decided to close it down.

In this case however, under the server in the server list it says in large red writing " MOVED TO 75.66.106.92".

So it's probably best that she find another server?
If that's the case are there any that you can recommend for her that don't use a whitelist that are also age appropriate?

#8

colorfusion

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostAmielya11, on 31 January 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

So it's probably best that she find another server?
If that's the case are there any that you can recommend for her that don't use a whitelist that are also age appropriate?

" MOVED TO 75.66.106.92". just means that instead of connecting to 198.23.148.69:25665, she should connect to 75.66.106.92. It will still be the same people and her house should still be there, it's just technically a different server.

It's like a small shop moving and putting a sign on the door with the new location, you just need to go to the new location now instead of the old one.

#9

Amielya11

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Also, she doesn't know the name of the server, just the number sequence, is there a way to find out the name of the server using the numbers?

View Postcolorfusion, on 31 January 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

" MOVED TO 75.66.106.92". just means that instead of connecting to 198.23.148.69:25665, she should connect to 75.66.106.92. It will still be the same people and her house should still be there, it's just technically a different server.

Awesome, I'll have her try that now. Thank you a bunch. She was disappointed that she might lose her house. :)

#10

TowerOfGlass

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

View Postcolorfusion, on 31 January 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Nope, TowerOfGlass explained it a bit confusingly.
Yes, I definitely typed that too quickly. Thanks for clarifying it for me :)

#11

colorfusion

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostAmielya11, on 31 January 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

Also, she doesn't know the name of the server, just the number sequence, is there a way to find out the name of the server using the numbers?



Awesome, I'll have her try that now. Thank you a bunch. She was disappointed that she might lose her house. Posted Image

No problem.
Put 75.66.106.92 in your URL bar for the servers website, it's called "Craft City" by the looks of it.

#12

22398
    22398

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 200 posts
  • Minecraft: e2727

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Quite frankly, I'd say if your daughter hasn't been on the internet enough to know what a whitelist is, then only have her play alone or on servers with friends. Almost all servers open to the public have poor admins, or players, or communities in general.

Posted Image


#13

619Soldier
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Minecraft: 619Soldier
  • PSN:green_tree233456

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

View Post22398, on 31 January 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

Quite frankly, I'd say if your daughter hasn't been on the internet enough to know what a whitelist is, then only have her play alone or on servers with friends. Almost all servers open to the public have poor admins, or players, or communities in general.

Dang, no need to be so mean. How many servers have you played on out of the thousands of open to the public servers? I'm guessing around 20 of them maybe?
Posted Image

#14

22398
    22398

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 200 posts
  • Minecraft: e2727

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

View Post619Soldier, on 31 January 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

Dang, no need to be so mean. How many servers have you played on out of the thousands of open to the public servers? I'm guessing around 20 of them maybe?

Well, yes. But all it takes is one bad egg, and there are people who do this full-time. So better be safe than sorry, and friends are much better anyways.

There are good servers, but defiantly go for one with >50 players.

Posted Image