Latest News Article

Snow Capped Peaks *Over 240 Supporters!*

terrain

• Please log in to reply
396 replies to this topic

user_837235

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

Support! But not rare.

It would be as rare as a desert temple. And these would be in each biome. In desert there would be no snow though. And at a high level, snow would fall, then it would turn to rain at a lower level. So high mountains wouldn't have snow melting.

Register or log in to remove.

LesserLoops

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

No, they should definetly be much more rare than that. Maybe twice that.
Posted Image
See the thread here.

Malatak1a
    Malatak1a

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

Support. I would love to see this implemented (Like now...)

Some_Free_Cake
  • Minecraft: Willvanzero
  • Xbox:Some Free Cake

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

View PostLesserLoops, on 01 February 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

No, they should definetly be much more rare than that. Maybe twice that.
This. If a whole biome was as common as a desert temple, you might get too many of these. Maybe they could have a 1 in 5000 chance of spawning.

View PostMalatak1a, on 01 February 2013 - 03:15 AM, said:

Support. I would love to see this implemented (Like now...)
Thanks! Added your name :)
Posted Image
Click to support!

LesserLoops

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostSome_Free_Cake, on 01 February 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

This. If a whole biome was as common as a desert temple, you might get too many of these. Maybe they could have a 1 in 5000 chance of spawning.

Yes. That's more like it.

I think I'll make a banner for this topic.
Posted Image
See the thread here.

Some_Free_Cake

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

View PostLesserLoops, on 01 February 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

Yes. That's more like it.

I think I'll make a banner for this topic.
That would be much appreciated.
Posted Image
Click to support!

LesserLoops

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

Won't get to work until tomorrow though.
Posted Image
See the thread here.

Some_Free_Cake

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostLesserLoops, on 01 February 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

Won't get to work until tomorrow though.

Fine by me :)
Posted Image
Click to support!

Badprenup
    Badprenup

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 10985 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Oh sweet Jesus I like that mountain. The reason I never liked the old terrain generation or the current Extreme Hills is because they don't look like that glorious thing.

Support.
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

Mathy
    Mathy

Matherator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 3527 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

Same here, from what badprenup said:

View PostBadprenup, on 01 February 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

Oh sweet Jesus I like that mountain. The reason I never liked the old terrain generation or the current Extreme Hills is because they don't look like that glorious thing.

Support.

These mountains give a much more triumphant sense when you get to the top, and they feel majestic, rising in powerful roots that lie below.

Fermat said:

I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this, which this margin is too small to contain.

Some_Free_Cake

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Thanks guys! I'll add your names.
Posted Image
Click to support!

supa1337killa
  • Minecraft: SWAG

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

A mountain range biome would be nice, I could excavate a whole mountain and turn it into a secret evil lair and carve a giant skull in the side of it and use the eyes as windows for the viewing platform C:
Posted Image

Some_Free_Cake

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

View Postsupa1337killa, on 01 February 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

A mountain range biome would be nice, I could excavate a whole mountain and turn it into a secret evil lair and carve a giant skull in the side of it and use the eyes as windows for the viewing platform C:
Sounds pretty cool. Should I add you to the list?
Posted Image
Click to support!

Kilyle
    Kilyle

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1268 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Add me to the list.

Dad was annoyed at the lack of mountains ages ago.  I would love to see some good giant peaks, and now that the height limitation has been expanded, that ought to be really possible.

I'd say they should have a chance of having pine trees up high, not on the top but somewhat below the snow line, perhaps extending to a little bit above the edge of the snow line.  (Obviously the trees should be growing on dirt rather than snow blocks.)  The upcoming change in snow might make this idea even better (snow is thicker the higher you go up, so at the lower edge the snow is 1-3 thick (mostly 1, but random), and near the top it's 6-8 thick and may have 1 or more whole blocks of snow beneath it.  And, like in the taiga biome, the higher parts of the mountain would have snow instead of rain when it weathers.

I also favor the chance of big caves up there, and/or icy lakes (possibly ice lake in a cave, at that), and yeah, if the red dragon occurs, this might be a great place to put him.  (Anyone else here ever read Rowan of Rin?)

(Hoping someday Minecraft will have a rare Volcano biome.)

Lastly: There's no problem sticking these next to the desert.  One of the reasons deserts happen in real life is that normal weather patterns that could bring moisture get stopped by tall mountains or cliffs, leaving one side of the mountain lush and the other dry.  Or so I understand it.

Some_Free_Cake

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Thanks! I'll add you :)
Posted Image
Click to support!

Mettan
    Mettan

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1638 posts
  • Minecraft: Mettan

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'm in full support of this, if implemented properly. Add me to the list.

Rather than a change to existing biomes, it should be a completely new biome, probably named something like "mountain range".
The average ground level in this biome would be higher than normal (thus requiring a transition biome), and the ground could generate above the clouds.
As for the snow-capped peaks, there would be a separate "mountain peak" biome that only generates within the mountain range biome and typically produces high peaks. While the mountain range biome has rain, the mountain peak biome would have snow, thus preserving the effect of snow-capped peaks.

Oh yeah, and also, like extreme hills, mountain range and mountain peak would have excellent ore generation.

tl;dr version - Three new biomes: mountain edge, mountain range, mountain peak. The third one has snow while the other two have rain. They go above the clouds.

robinod
    robinod

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Minecraft: robinod

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostLesserLoops, on 01 February 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

They could even add the Red Dragons idea that they trashed a long time ago, making it so there is the possibility of dragon caves at the top of these "real" mountains

Sorry, I had to do this:

good idea, then you could build a huge city under the single mountain and run away as a dragon smashes it?
(BA BUM TSS)

StalePhish
  • Minecraft: StalePhish

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Pretty neat. Could be that when an Extreme Hills biome generates above a certain Y value, that area is changed to a Tundra biome.

Ouatcheur
    Ouatcheur

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1191 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Support!

user_837235

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostSome_Free_Cake, on 01 February 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

Thanks! Added your name Posted Image

1 in 5000 would be a little too rare, you would never see them! Maybe as rare as diamonds, or monster spawners. in every few thousand blocks they would have the same chance as spawning as monster spawners.